BMG Sale Corner

Big Al

Last week I noticed that 25 Music Points had been subtracted from my total. I called, and was told that it's a "use 'em or lose 'em" situation; and that I should have been told a couple of months ago that they were going to expire.

Well, I wasn't told, so she gave me my points back. I decided to spend them, since I expect most of my shopping in 2005 will be with yourmusic.com. So I ordered the Ray Charles Complete Atlantic R&B box, which arrived today.

Yes, I have 25 points as well. May as well try and bump it up to 29 or 30 to pick up the Legacy Edition of either the Allman Bros. Fillmore East or Santana’s first album.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point -- yesterday I bought a bunch of clearance $1.99 titles and, using the 60% off/no s/h code bought two 2-cd sets -- that, with four free cds I had coming to me brought the average cost to around $4.12/CD or something like that. At any rate $1.99+2.74 < $4.99, if you're into the uber-realm of bargain seeking.

Also at $1.99: Hampton Hawes, "Northern Windows"; Richter on Prokofiev's 8th Sonata and 5th Concerto; von Karajan conducting Mahler's 5th; Monk's "Misterioso" (one of my favorites); recent Brendel on Mozart's concerti 22 and 27 (if you're an Alf fan); Martha Argerich "Live from the Concertgebouw 1978-1979"; Emerson Str Quart playing Webern's works for string quartet (if you don't have one of the boxes, this is a good place to start, I suppose). Plus the ones mentioned and some others.

Edited by j lee

Some other $1.99 clearance deals they have:

"Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins" - on Impulse

Jack Bruce - "Shadows In The Air"

Sandy Denny - "No More Sad Refrains - Anthology" (2 CD - $3.98)

Richard & Linda Thompson - "Best of the Island Years"

Jefferson Airplane - "Takes Off" (remastered) , "Crown of Creation" (remastered)

Latin Playboys - "Dose"

Joe Jackson - "Jumpin' Jive" (Remastered), "I'm The Man" (Remastered)

Joni Mitchell - "Taming The Tiger"

Laura Nyro - "The Best of Laura Nyro - Stoned Soul Picnic", "Eli And The Thirteenth Confession" (Remastered)

Tjazz and others who monitor BMG closely- do you happen to keep lists of the Connoisseurs, Verve Elites, Verve Master Editions, Riverside/Prestige/OJC K2's that are available from them?

I'm trying to optimize my order as I rejoin.

While working my way through this thread and checking BMG I found that several of the Verve LPR added just last fall are already gone, e.g. Stitt "Personal Appearance".

Thanks!

I don’t know about any of y’all, but BMG seems to be going thru a real dry spell as of late. At least 70% of the “What’s New” is smooth jazz, lite-blues, and big-bland singers (Norah Jones, Jane Monheit, etc). Bleah!!!!

That's good!

Keeps me from pushing the "Add to Cart" button.

• 3 weeks later...

Free For All -

If you haven't already joined, consider getting into yourmusic.com. It's run by BMG, so the same inventory, which can be limiting. But everything in there is $5.99 all the time, with free shipping & handling. Some of us got in when they had a special $4.99 deal, but that's no longer available, as far as I know.

The only major difference is that you have to set up a queue of items that you want, and each month they take the top one from your list and send it to you (and bill your credit card). So make sure there is always something in your queue, because you'll get billed monthly regardless.

But other than that, you can order as much as you want at that price, all the time. :tup

I'm still in BMG, but haven't been ordering from them, mainly using them for their searches, which seem to be a little better than yourmusic.com's.

I don’t know about any of y’all, but BMG seems to be going thru a real dry spell as of late. At least 70% of the “What’s New” is smooth jazz, lite-blues, and big-bland singers (Norah Jones, Jane Monheit, etc). Bleah!!!!

One month later, nothing's really changed. <_<

One month later, nothing's really changed. <_<

Al, without doing any research at Jazzmatazz, my first thought is that the situation you describe relates more to the major record labels than it does to the Music Club.

Since the majors have gotten out of the jazz business for the most part, BMG needs to do some new deals with some of the smaller labels. The stream is drying up!