BMG Sale Corner

Big Al

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry GA, haven't seen any in a while. Hopefully they'll cough up a few more for us before too long.

Dude, you better get on it! :rolleyes:

Ok ok since you guys have been so nice to me lately (:rolleyes:), here's an extra special super code:

D8E1 - 3 free discs

There are 2 really cool things about this code.

1. It's not a one-time only code, so you can use it to your heart's content.

2. It's good for 2 disc sets (i.e. you can order 3 two-disc sets in one order, for free).

Have fun - even you, Ron!!

Great code.

So you can buy all the Blue Note CDs for $2.79 each

BMG sent me an email today saying that they are discontinuing the Music Points program. No more points after Jan. 31. No more spending your points after April 30.

Of course, with Aggie's codes, who cares about the points?

That Music Points program lasted about ten years. I figured it wouldn't last long when they started it.

Edited by GA Russell

Sorry GA, haven't seen any in a while. Hopefully they'll cough up a few more for us before too long.

Ok ok since you guys have been so nice to me lately (:rolleyes:), here's an extra special super code:

D8E1 - 3 free discs

2. It's good for 2 disc sets (i.e. you can order 3 two-disc sets in one order, for free).

Thank you SO MUCH for this code Aggie! I have been binge-ing. My hunch is that this one will expire at the end of the year...

Thank you SO MUCH for this code Aggie! I have been binge-ing. My hunch is that this one will expire at the end of the year...

You're welcome!

More than just the code may be expiring before long though. :( Somebody on the SH Forum just commented that BMG is no longer accepting new members as of today. Their website is suggesting that people go check out Yourmusic instead.

I wonder how much longer BMG/Yourmusic has.

You're welcome!

More than just the code may be expiring before long though. :( Somebody on the SH Forum just commented that BMG is no longer accepting new members as of today. Their website is suggesting that people go check out Yourmusic instead.

I've had the BMG site bookmarked for years, but today it suddenly started redirecting me to yourmusic. I had to type in the web address of BMG music service just to pay my bill.

You're welcome!

I've had the BMG site bookmarked for years, but today it suddenly started redirecting me to yourmusic. I had to type in the web address of BMG music service just to pay my bill.

It took me to that page as well, but when I logged in at the bottom of the screen, it went to the BMG hompage.

D8E1 - 3 free discs

This code can only be used "once" more. Use it now for the last time. (or gamble and wait to see if it expires later) No more multiple uses on this code.

I used the D8E1 code 4 times. I'd try it again but there aren't really any more titles that have enough interest for me even to spend the $2.79 on them.

Aggie, I really appreciate your listing of the new titles of interest as they come in. The updates have lead to several excellent buys. It looks like the BMG days are numbered so I hope to keep apprised of any new titles that come in until the very end.

Edited by mikelz777

Kinda sad to see bmg go away. I can remember when you couldn't open a magazine without seeing those ads '12 for the price of 1' and the detachable cards that you could send in to get those cds. I remember growing up and my sister getting 8 tracks in the mail each month from Columbia House (ABBA, Supertramp etc), she never remembered to turn in the the card to prevent CH from sending the selection of the month.

p.s. If you've accumulated music points you only have until 1/31 to redeem them.

Kinda sad to see bmg go away. I can remember when you couldn't open a magazine without seeing those ads '12 for the price of 1' and the detachable cards that you could send in to get those cds. I remember growing up and my sister getting 8 tracks in the mail each month from Columbia House (ABBA, Supertramp etc), she never remembered to turn in the the card to prevent CH from sending the selection of the month.

p.s. If you've accumulated music points you only have until 1/31 to redeem them.

You only have 1/31 to earn the points; you have until the end of April to redeem them.

BMG Music Service Stops Taking New Members

December 23, 2008 - Retail

By Lou Hau, N.Y.

BMG Music Service stopped accepting new members this week, marking the end of the once-ubiquitous "12 for the price of one" offers that the mail-order CD club was known for.

A spokesperson for BMG Music Service parent Direct Brands confirmed Tuesday that the music club is no longer accepting new members, although she declined to comment on whether the company plans to shut down the club completely.

"We are still very actively engaged with our existing member base and will be making more changes to serve them...more effectively later in 2009," the spokesperson said.

The club's former home page bmgmusic.com now greets visitors with an invitation to join Direct Brands' other music service Yourmusic.com, which sells all CDs in its catalog for $6.99 each, but requires members to purchase at least one CD a month.

BMG Music Service informed its members earlier in December that it will discontinue its Music Points Program at the end of January. The frequent-buyer program awarded points for each purchase that could be applied toward a free CD. The club said members can continue to redeem existing music points through April 30.

In a deal announced in July, Bertelsmann AG sold Direct Group North America, which included BMG Music Service, Columbia House, Book-of-the-Month Club and other direct marketing clubs, to private-investment firm Najafi Companies of Phoenix. Najafi renamed the business Direct Brands.

In Bertelsmann's 2007 annual report, which was released in March before the sale of the direct marketing business, the German media conglomerate said it planned to discontinue its CD clubs in 2010 "on account of the slump in the physical music market."

Link to source.

Edited by mikelz777

BMG Music Service Stops Taking New Members

December 23, 2008 - Retail

By Lou Hau, N.Y.

BMG Music Service stopped accepting new members this week, marking the end of the once-ubiquitous "12 for the price of one" offers that the mail-order CD club was known for.

A spokesperson for BMG Music Service parent Direct Brands confirmed Tuesday that the music club is no longer accepting new members, although she declined to comment on whether the company plans to shut down the club completely.

"We are still very actively engaged with our existing member base and will be making more changes to serve them...more effectively later in 2009," the spokesperson said.

The club's former home page bmgmusic.com now greets visitors with an invitation to join Direct Brands' other music service Yourmusic.com, which sells all CDs in its catalog for $6.99 each, but requires members to purchase at least one CD a month.

BMG Music Service informed its members earlier in December that it will discontinue its Music Points Program at the end of January. The frequent-buyer program awarded points for each purchase that could be applied toward a free CD. The club said members can continue to redeem existing music points through April 30.

In a deal announced in July, Bertelsmann AG sold Direct Group North America, which included BMG Music Service, Columbia House, Book-of-the-Month Club and other direct marketing clubs, to private-investment firm Najafi Companies of Phoenix. Najafi renamed the business Direct Brands.

In Bertelsmann's 2007 annual report, which was released in March before the sale of the direct marketing business, the German media conglomerate said it planned to discontinue its CD clubs in 2010 "on account of the slump in the physical music market."

Link to source.

Oh man, that is sad. Lot of discs in my collection came from BMG...

I got in just under the wire by rejoining BMG about ten days ago. Like many others here (I think) many dozens of my CDs came from BMG. I've been a member off and on for almost 20 years.

I made a bunch of orders recently. I've had problems with three of them now.

1. A 3 CD order arrived with only 2 of the CDs, but the order was listed as "complete". I notified BMG and included text from my order confirmation, which correctly listed all 3 CDs. Still waiting to hear back.

2. My copy of Keith Jarrett Live At Montreux contained only one of the two CDs- this is a 2 CD set.

3. Most strangely, in my copy of Horace Silver Further Explorations the CD is printed "Horace Smith". I did a quick search here and didn't find any indication that this problem has occurred previously. This is one of those "Manufactured for BMG Direct" versions, which are supposed to be identical to those available in stores.

I guess I can't complain given the prices I paid for these discs, but BMG's service/quality control leaves a bit to be desired. Having said that, it is too bad they are going to fold. It is the end of an era and another indication regarding the future of CDs...makes me wonder once again if CDs will become "collectible" like some vinyl, or just another obsolete technology, like cassettes.

I've been a member of and on for many years and I've been impressed with their service-in my experience,they deliver more quickly than anyone on the web and have been known to make the occasional repeatable code, special offer gaffe (see last year's discounted box set debacle-in the consumer's favor, of course). A goodly chunk of my collection, especially in the box set department, comes from BMG Music Service. The 12 for 1 offer caused me to quit and rejoin more than once, which can't have helped the bottom line! IMO, discontinuing the Music Points program is no great loss. What I'd like to see is a clearcut program of the more you buy the better your offers become. I think plenty of people would sign up at 5 or 6 for the price of one and then later on to buy one, get one or buy one get three offers. I don't know what's behind BMG's withdrawal from the new member market other than CD sales suck worldwide. I do know that I would buy fewer CDs if they went out of business entirely.