BMG Sale Corner

Big Al

the 3 cds I bought were: MODERNISTIC

THIS IS SHELBY LYNN

REMEMBER SHAKTI LIVE IN BOMBAY

the Shelby Lynn sounded like you made a cassette dub from a cheap cassette player. Now I don't know if this is a problem with the original recording, but I know the other recordings were produced by artists who know about sound or in the Moderistic case, the studio has produced some great recordings.

the sound on the latter cds was unfocused, hazy, transients sounded a little distorted and smeared, soundstage sounded constricted ect.

I heard of compaints year ago about their product but I figured by now they had improved along with most other cd manufacturings.

If they don't take them back, I will attempt to get the other versions so I can see if I am imagining things or what.

I just expected to hear some great sounds on at least one of the cds!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the 3 cds I bought were: MODERNISTIC

THIS IS SHELBY LYNN

REMEMBER SHAKTI  LIVE IN BOMBAY

the Shelby Lynn sounded like you made a cassette dub from a cheap cassette player. Now I don't know if this is a problem with the original recording, but I know the other recordings were produced by artists who know about sound or in the Moderistic case, the studio has produced some great recordings.

Shelby Lynne?

You must have meant I AM SHELBY LYNNE.

I got the CD from BMG club too. The sound is raw, but I thought that was what she wanted????? Playing the CD now, sounds OK to me. Just another style for her.

I'll check the sound on another CD at a used store next time I see it.

(found an extra Cd of I AM SHELBY LYNNE without the BMG marking - no difference in sound)

I'm a big Shelby Lynne fan.

Edited by Tjazz

Alright, folks... This looks to be the sale of the year from BMG. "2/3" Off w/ No Shipping & Handling (w/ a purchase over $30)".

This sale allows for some absolute steals on box sets! Take advantage while it lasts...

For you that don't get this offer....

Does anyone know if each CD can be sent to a different address as gift?

The website appears to make this feature available, but I haven't tried it.

If you can send the CDs to different names/addresses, then if someone wants to buy something, just PAYPAL me and I can order it for you. :D

Last time I checked, the MERCURY BLUES AND RHYTHM 8-CD box was in the clearance section for $15.99. Even if you have to pay shipping & handling (about $3 a disc these days)), that still comes out to $40 for a box that retails around $90-$100. And if you don't have to pay shipping... it becomes a REAL steal.

A few years ago there were a couple of sites which dealt with issues concerning the record clubs. They are probably still up somewhere, but they were abandoned some time ago.

One guy stated that he put copies of a store-bought CD and a record club CD (same album) in his computer at work, and the program counted the bits of information, and the store-bought had 8 more. They were virtually identical.

I believe that decades ago record club LPs were inferior to store-bought LPs because they were made from an inferior master. But today copying the digital does not reduce the fidelity, so there shouldn't be any difference.

Alright, folks... This looks to be the sale of the year from BMG. "2/3" Off w/ No Shipping & Handling (w/ a purchase over $30)".

This sale allows for some absolute steals on box sets! Take advantage while it lasts...

If you can send the CDs to different names/addresses, then if someone wants to buy something, just PAYPAL me and I can order it for you. :D

Tjazz, it's no more difficult having the CD sent to a gift recipient than it is to have it sent to yourself. Before you click on the final BUY button, it lists the recipients of each CD and asks you if the list is correct.

Last time I checked, the MERCURY BLUES AND RHYTHM 8-CD box was in the clearance section for $15.99. Even if you have to pay shipping & handling (about $3 a disc these days)), that still comes out to $40 for a box that retails around $90-$100. And if you don't have to pay shipping... it becomes a REAL steal.

It looks they do apply s/h to this one even w/ the current sale - apparently because it's in the Clearance sections and is already heavily discounted. Still, a price of ~$40 isn't bad on this one. Might make an excellent Christmas gift for a blues fan!

Last time I checked, the MERCURY BLUES AND RHYTHM 8-CD box was in the clearance section for $15.99.  Even if you have to pay shipping & handling (about $3 a disc these days)), that still comes out to $40 for a box that retails around $90-$100.  And if you don't have to pay shipping...  it becomes a REAL steal.

It looks they do apply s/h to this one even w/ the current sale - apparently because it's in the Clearance sections and is already heavily discounted. Still, a price of ~$40 isn't bad on this one. Might make an excellent Christmas gift for a blues fan!

I bought that Mercury set a while back and have no problems recommending it. Even with regular shipping, it's a deal. :tup

Tjazz, it's no more difficult having the CD sent to a gift recipient than it is to have it sent to yourself. Before you click on the final BUY button, it lists the recipients of each CD and asks you if the list is correct.

No extra shipping charges ??? (when sending as a gift?)

If so, if anyone wants to get in on the 2/3 off sale with no shipping charges. PM me.

Maybe it's just me, but as I hunted around for cds, looking to get up to the free shipping minimum, it seemed as if BMG has dropped a lot of their titles. There were far fewer classical cds in both the new and clearance sections, and there were several jazz artists that either have just fewer titles compared to a couple of months ago (like Mclaughlin) or none all (Rosenwinkel, Holland). It could be a regular cycle that they go through, which I never noticed before, but OTOH, I kept wondering if this ship was finally going down... :unsure:

Just got Elvis Presley CLOSE UP box set. No BMG label markings on the outside. Sealed box set with sticker of "DELUXE 4-CD BOX SET" on the outside.

Also got these CDs with no BMG markings on the outside.

Tony Bennet & K.D. Land A WONDERFUL WORLD

Nina Simone ; ANTHOLOGY (2)

Willie Nelson : YESTERDAY'S WINE (RE)

Waylon Jennings : LONESOME, ON'RY & MEAN (RE)

Waylon : OL' WAYLON (RE)

:g

Tjazz,

I hope you've picked up the new expanded 2 CD version of "Waylon Live" - That's a GREAT set!  :tup  :tup  :tup

Yep, (and there was no BMG label markings on that disc either)

I'm a Waylon fan. (and collector)

:rolleyes:

Hopefully, BMG will have the Dolly Parton JUST BECAUSE I'M A WOMAN re-issue soon too.

Also would like to get those Willie Nelson remastered Sony CDs.

Edited by Tjazz

I'd also like the Mercury blues box set. Don't see the free shipping on my bmg browser. Anyone knows if there's a code for that?

I have about 5 BMG accounts and only one of the accounts had the 2/3 off with free shipping over $30.

The Mercury Blues box is not discounted because it's part of the clearance section.

More CDs available:

Miles Davis - Saturday Night In Person At the Blackhawk (2) remastered.

(so you can get both Friday & Saturday double CD sets)

Dexter Gordon : Our Man In Paris (RE)

Horace Silver Trio (RE)

Grant Green GRANDSTAND (re)

Jessi Colter VERY BEST OF

Rodney Crowell FATES

More Chicago remasters available too.

There's also a 60% free shipping L3P7 or L3PC good thru 12/6.

Edited by Tjazz

Also just available:

Art Blakey - 'Indestructible'

Miles Davis - 'In Person Friday and Saturday Nights At the Blackhawk' (Box)

T. Monk - 'Underground' (Remastered)

T. Monk - 'Solo Monk' (Remastered)

T. Monk - 'It's Monk's Time' (Remastered)

T. Monk - 'Criss Cross' (Remastered)

Jason Moran - 'The Bandwagon'

:D

Edited by street singer