Complete Miles & Trane Mosaic LP Set

My ears are not as gifted as some, but I think the Mosaic LPs sound fabulous. I can't compare to the original pressings as I have not heard them. I don't know how easy they are to find or whether you can find them in the same mint condition as a brand new Mosaic pressing either.

I generally don't upgrade CDs, I don't seek out TOCJs or JRVGS but once I heard my first Miles Mosaic, I grabbed 'em all (over a period of time of course ;)

I'm thinking it's hard to go wrong buying a Mosaic set. If I don't like the sound quality, or if I decide to further upgrade to originals I can always sell the Mosaic. Additionally, the Mosaic set is a pretty economical buy.

Still not sure what I'm going to do. Wonder how much those original Miles pressings go for? Thanks for the input.

I've read many times that the Miles Davis 180g LP reissues (by Columbia/Sony) don't sound very good. Maybe they are made from the tapes used for the first CD reissues.

Sample them before "upgrading" your CDs.

Edited by Claude

I strongly agree with the praise for the Mosaic Miles/Trane lp set-the sound is terrific to my ears! By the way, I do have excellent copies of most of the original Columbias, some sound as good as the Mosaics and some don't in my opinion. For example, I have a mint six-eyes stereo copy of "Someday My Prince..." that beats any reissue I've ever heard-but the live recordings are better on the Mosaic. If you collect albums get the originals (be prepared to shell out big $ for mint 1st pressings), if you want the music get the Mosaic.

;)

• 4 weeks later...

I have the Mosaic Plugged Nickel box. A beauty. It just feels like you're in the club

and the musicians play for you. Exactly what I am looking for when I listen to LPs

and so rarely get when I listen to CDs. I have not compared it to the Sony CD Plugged

Nickel box.

I have however compared the Mosaic Miles Davis/Gil Evans LP box with the Sony CD

box and the Mosaic is really the one to get. The Mosaics are even better than the

original Columbias.

Wish I could afford the other Miles Davis Mosaic sets.

I have a chance to get the Mosaic lp set of The Complete Plugged Nickel; is it worth getting over the cd version?  Feedback greatly appreciated before I spend the $250  :o , to buy it.

$250?

This is one set that almost always goes for the original price of $180 when it is listed on e-bay. Sometimes for less. It is a fantastic set IMO. The sound is wonderful, much better than the cd set.

Edited by shrugs

$250?

This is one set that almost always goes for the original price of $180 when it is listed on e-bay. Sometimes for less. It is a fantastic set IMO. The sound is wonderful, much better than the cd set.

I'm trying to get the guy to go down on the price, to $180 at least. It still unopened, in the shipping box from Mosaic. Don't ask me why... :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

Just to answer my own question... I did get the Mosaic "Plugged Nickel" and it sounds better than I ever imagined, way better than the cd version. Miles' trumpet sounds so much cleaner and alive, on the cd, it sounded "pinched" to my ears. Guy did come down to $180, and it's one of my best buys ever. If you ever get a chance to get the Mosaic version of "Plugged Nickel" -- do it!