Miles Complete Prestige - VINYL version

DrJ

Basically, I'm too cheap to buy all the 20 bit upgrades of his catalog held by Fantasy...I got the Prestige CD boxed set on the cheap, and it's sonically OK but rather dead-sounding. I have heard there is a vinyl version of the Prestige set - but I've read mixed reviews on OJC/Fantasy reissue vinyl.

Anyone have this who can comment on sound quality?

I bought the set on E-Bay about a year ago for about $100 if I remember correctly. Sound quality is fine to my ears.

I can also recommend highly the Analogue Productions boxed set, but it isn't the complete Prestige recordings. It is limited to five Prestige albums: Relaxin', Workin', Steamin', Cookin', and The New Miles Davis Quintet. Sound quality on these is very nice.

I can now say that I was asking because I had a line on the 12 LP set on Ebay today...and was outbid (by a couple bucks!) at the last minute, literally...it went for a measly $32 and was listed as albums being mint! Darn it!

Oh well...the more I read here the more I am thinking that probably the Japanese 20 bit K2 CD set or the Analogue Productions LPs (less complete but I have read raves elswhere on sound quality too) is probably the best route for me to go as "upgrade."

I'm lucky! And Happy!

I have enjoyed (and kept) the four Prestige (Cookin', Relaxin', Workin' and Steamin') LPs in their original editions. Cookin' and Relaxin' are the 50th St. issues, the other two are Bergenfields.

Also have the 50th St. edition of The New Miles Davis Quintet.

Always thought this was some of Rudy Van Gelder's very best engineering. I remember a discussion with Cecil Taylor about the sound on these dates. CT thought it could have been better and I disagreed. This was just after he recorded his two BN albums at Van Gelder's and things did not go as he wanted and he still was a bit angry at RVG!

Geez, Brownie!! Is there an LP you do not have?

DrJ..talkin' about gettin' CD's in the vinyl frontier. Probation for vou. :D

I'd be very happy with the Fantasy set, especially at the prices mentioned. I have a bunch of the Miles OJC's and think they sound good enough.

The AP set is too pricey for me. $35 a record?? But, it is probably a nice upgrade. I say that even though I buy plenty of $30 LP's. ^_^

Geez, Brownie!! Is there an LP you do not have?

Truth is I have run out of room to store new ones. But I did buy plenty since I got addicted more than half a century ago :o

And I was hooked on people like Trane and Cecil Taylor before they were mentioned in the magazines at the time (I'm speaking of the late fifties).

Also I have kept all of those vinyls except a very sad episode in my early life when I let friends share some of my albums before I was sent across the Mediterranean to fight France's war in Algeria. I was not able to get back some of the BNs and the original 50th of Saxophone Colossus I loaned at the time.

• 10 months later...

The Bergenfield LPs sound significantly better though, if you can find them in good condition.

And the 50th st. NY LPs sound better then Bergenfield... :w

Two questions:

Which was the first LP with the Bergenfield address? They moved in 1967. And which LP was the first one with this blue label? Any ideas?! Thanks.

The Bergenfield LPs sound significantly better though, if you can find them in good condition.

And the 50th st. NY LPs sound better then Bergenfield... :w

Two questions:

Which was the first LP with the Bergenfield address? They moved in 1967. And which LP was the first one with this blue label? Any ideas?! Thanks.

The John Coltrane album 'Soultrane' (Prestige 7142) is said to be the first Bergenfield label issue. Got this when it came out in the late fifties. My copy has the Bergenfield adress, yellow label. Prestige blue labels appeared in 1964.

Fully agree with the 50th NY LPs sounding better than the Bergenfield ones. The NY labels pressing set standards that many Bergenfield did not quite match.

I can also recommend highly the Analogue Productions boxed set, but it isn't the complete Prestige recordings. It is limited to five Prestige albums: Relaxin', Workin', Steamin', Cookin', and The New Miles Davis Quintet. Sound quality on these is very nice.

The man speaketh the truth!