Yourmusic.com corner

Big Al

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also enjoy Elmo Hope big time. Anyone willing to offer a few thoughts on that release?

I've only had a chance to listen to it once, so far, but I'd highly recommend it. And if you're already an Elmo Hope fan and it's now available for $5.99 with free shipping, what the heck are you waiting for??? :P

I also enjoy Elmo Hope big time. Anyone willing to offer a few thoughts on that release?

I've only had a chance to listen to it once, so far, but I'd highly recommend it. And if you're already an Elmo Hope fan and it's now available for $5.99 with free shipping, what the heck are you waiting for??? :P

That's all I needed to hear, Ron. :D Both items have now been placed in my cart. Man, I love this place.

That's all I needed to hear, Ron. :D Both items have now been placed in my cart. Man, I love this place.

And just in case you start getting Buyer's Remorse over your $5.99 investment, take a look at the All Music Guide review here. They give it their absolutely highest rating of 5 stars with an "Album Pick" check mark. :w

New today are the October '05 Conns (except for Don Cherry :rolleyes: ):

If you do an artist search for Don Cherry on the BMG website, you will notice that a new album is coming soon! :g

There's a check-off box if you're interested in receiving an email. (I got the Andrew Hill and Ike Quebec email today)

A new album by Don Cherry is coming soon!

Check here to be notified by email when it is available.

There's a check-off box for Miles Davis!

(What other artists have albums we should be expecting to arrive at BMG/Yourmuisc?)

Edited by Tjazz

I am a relative newcomer to yourmusic.com. Do all of the Blue note RVG reissues eventually make their way to this site? Ditto for the SACD hybrid Living Stereo reissues? What is the normal lag time from release?

Thanks!

The answer is no. You takes your chances.

And the normal lag time for Blue Note releases (RVGs, Conns, and others) appears to be about 2-3 months. Individual Sony/BMG releases seem to appear more quickly (for obvious reasons). Other label families are hit-or-miss. If you're willing to wait for a particular title, you're fairly safe waiting a good 3-4 months after release to see if it shows up at yourmusic.com before purchasing it elsewhere (although no guarantees, of course). For RVGs, AllDirect.com is probably the next best source price-wise--$7.99 each with free shipping on any order of at least $99 (and same great price for Concord/Fantasy OJCs, by the way).

Thanks Chuck and Ron. I'll see what happens with the next RVG releases. I should feel guilty about trying to save $2 per disc (RVG) and $3 per disc on the Living Stereo. :blush: I've purchased everyone of both releases over the past few years. It begins to add up. Besides, the money I save will go towards Smithsonian and Library of Congress releases. :)

Call me impatient, but I didn;t have the stamina to read through 40+ pages of this thread to have my question answered [which I'm sure it is somewhere in the bowels of this monster thread] -- what's the story on the packaging?

For instance, I'm eyeing The Complete Norman Granz Jam Sessions box. Does it come in the "normal" or "BMG-altered" packaging?

What about the rest of the cds? BMG logo or "normal"?

Argggh!!! I just received my monthly YourMusic shipment consisting of Cannonball Adderley's Domination and discovered that the music contained on the disc is really Jeff Golub's Temptation. The face of the CD erroneously indicates that it is the Cannonball Adderley session, and the barcode is one for BMG Direct.

This is not all that uncommon a problem, although it has never happened to me before. I thought that I should pass this on for those of you (like myself) who are backlogged and may have this sitting around somewhere still sealed.

Argggh!!! I just received my monthly YourMusic shipment consisting of Cannonball Adderley's Domination and discovered that the music contained on the disc is really Jeff Golub's Temptation. The face of the CD erroneously indicates that it is the Cannonball Adderley session, and the barcode is one for BMG Direct.

This is not all that uncommon a problem, although it has never happened to me before. I thought that I should pass this on for those of you (like myself) who are backlogged and may have this sitting around somewhere still sealed.

There's a whole thread on this phenomenon here, and I think it has also been discussed elsewhere (perhaps earlier in this thread?). :rolleyes: FWIW, I've ordered many, many CDs from yourmusic.com (although not this one), and have never had this happen.

Call me impatient, but I didn;t have the stamina to read through 40+ pages of this thread to have my question answered [which I'm sure it is somewhere in the bowels of this monster thread] -- what's the story on the packaging?

For instance, I'm eyeing The Complete Norman Granz Jam Sessions box. Does it come in the "normal" or "BMG-altered" packaging?

What about the rest of the cds? BMG logo or "normal"?

As Erik indicated, some do and some don't. The box sets for the most part seem not to, whereas some of the individual titles do. And to clarify, the only difference in the BMG-specific packaging usually is in the bar code area, which contains a (presumably) different bar code and the words "Mfd. for BMG Direct . . . under license" (these words also sometimes, but rarely, appear on the actual disc). In all other ways, the CDs and packaging generally are indentical to the regular retail versions, and presumably are manufactured at the same facilities. The only exceptions to this that I have noticed are Fantasy 20-bit K2s, which do not come with the cardboard sleeves, and one or two Verve Master Editions (Sarah Vaughan with Clifford Brown comes to mind) that came in a regular jewel case instead of the usual digipack. For the most part, though, the Verve Master Editions do come in the usual digipack packaging.

I just noticed they added Robert Glasper's "Canvas". Anybody have this already? Any good, or is this a BN Hype thing?

Also, since Ron kindly left me some titles to share, I'll mention they have

Bad Plus - Suspicious Activity

Jane Monheit - Best of

Brad Mehldau - Day is Done

Buddy Guy - Bring 'em In

David Bowie - The Collection

Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine

Les Paul - American Made and World Played

...oh, and the Ike Quebec is already backordered... :(

...oh, and the Ike Quebec is already backordered... :(

I found that out yesterday :( , but in the past when this has happened with new arrivals, they usually showed up within a couple of days (and probably just hadn't arrived yet at the time they were listed).