Yourmusic.com corner

Big Al

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Wheel started (and quickly deleted) a poll which considered the likely answer. I imagine people who ordered a ton of stuff from yourmusic got to keep the lower rates, while those (like me) who didn't go much beyond 1 cd a month got bumped up.

Guy

Re that poll, I deleted it mainly because I needed to edit some of the poll choices. You can't edit poll options once the poll is created, though, so I deleted it and just never got around to redoing it.

I think that Yourmusic is pretty clearly doing a marketing study and selected a random sample of customers to stay in the $5.99 club. I'd put money on it.

I actually sent them an email asking why some people are still getting the lower price while others aren't, and received the following reply:

[T]here are a some customers whose monthly fee and CD prices at

yourmusic.com did not increase on their specific accounts with January

1, 2007 price increase because of the date they enrolled with

yourmusic.com.

I'm not sure if that's true, but that was the response.

I think that Yourmusic is pretty clearly doing a marketing study and selected a random sample of customers to stay in the $5.99 club. I'd put money on it.

I actually sent them an email asking why some people are still getting the lower price while others aren't, and received the following reply:

[T]here are a some customers whose monthly fee and CD prices at

yourmusic.com did not increase on their specific accounts with January

1, 2007 price increase because of the date they enrolled with

yourmusic.com.

I'm not sure if that's true, but that was the response.

I enrolled during the first month it opened, at the $4.99 price, and I was hit with the increase

I enrolled during the $4.99 era and received the $6.99 increase email - but it never happened. I have received about 10 discs since the email but all were at the $5.99 price. Received Shepp's Kwanza today.

Ditto for all that, except the Shepp.

New, but don't get excited unless you're a Tania Maria fan like me:

Various Artists

The Most Relaxing Chamber Album In The World...Ever!

2-CD Set

Various Artists

The Most Relaxing Guitar Album In The World...Ever!

2-CD Set

Various Artists

The Most Relaxing Flute Album In The World...Ever!

2-CD Set

Various Artists

Sweet & Sexy - The Best Of New Urban Jazz

2-CD Set

Tania Maria

Intimidade

Here's a somewhat amusing yourmusic story. I kept my word and canceled my subscription back in January. A week or two ago I get one of those "customer retention" emails asking me to come back. So just for the hell of it, I replied to the email saying that I wasn't willing to pay $6.99, but if they could offer me the $5.99 price again I just might consider rejoining. About a week afterward I get an reply saying: "Thank you for contacting yourmusic.com. Your subscription has been canceled as requested."

This month's queue item, the Frisell/Carter/Motian record, is on backorder. I've never had a queue item backordered, and the help page for backorders is not entirely clear on the procedure for queues on backorder. Will they automatically ship my next queue item, or will they try to get the CD before giving up and shipping the next item? I would hope that they would make every effort to get this first, since I'd really like to have it.

This month's queue item, the Frisell/Carter/Motian record, is on backorder. I've never had a queue item backordered, and the help page for backorders is not entirely clear on the procedure for queues on backorder. Will they automatically ship my next queue item, or will they try to get the CD before giving up and shipping the next item?

They will send the next queue item. I've had a backordered title take 3 months, so each time they sent the "runner-up." So make sure your #2 is good enough to be your #1, and update accordingly.

Not much jazz, but here are a few other things I don't think have been mentioned yet:

King Sunny Ade - Live Live Juju

Buddy Guy - Can't Quit the Blues (3cd/1dvd)

Bjork dualdiscs

Jeff Tweedy - Chelsea Walls

Sonic Youth - The Destroyed Room

Bruce Hornsby box set

Johnny Cash - At San Quentin (2cd/1dvd)

Richard & Linda Thompson - Shoot out the Lights