Yourmusic.com corner

Big Al

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another heads-up: I got an email for another promotion in addition to the $5.99 special: buy two releases from the cart (as opposed to queue) and then get a free CD to redeem in January. I saw people on another forum talking about this as a buy 3 get 1 free promotion, but the email I received definitely said buy 2 get 1 free -- so perhaps it differs from one account to the next for some reason. Either way, worth looking into, especially because it can probably be combined with the $5.99 sale that's going on through 11/19.

I'm probably going to use this opportunity to clear out my queue (probably leaving a few in there to last me until January when I can claim my free disc) and then quit. They need to improve their selection pretty drastically or I don't think they're going to make it. If anyone wants a good chuckle, browse their "classical" selection by looking at "artists a-z" (here) 95% of it is not classical. Joan Armatrading? Chuck Berry? Then when browsing "jazz" artists a-z you find pretty much the same artists. It's as though they're cross posting things in a ridiculous number of areas to cover up how meager the selection has gotten.

I miss those CD giveaways and box-set blowouts from BMG Direct. Then again, those are probably the reason that BMG Direct is no longer with us. :rolleyes:

I also miss BMG's label-search function--a much more comprehensive way to review their inventory of classical labels such as Hyperion, Hanssler Classics, DG, etc. (and which would often pick up recordings of a composer's work that did not show up in a search of that composer).

Got an email that there's a 15% off sale on all boxsets at the moment. Sale is good though Nov 26th, for anyone interested.

Also as Joe Bip mentioned, the Buy 2 Get 1 Free is going on through the end of the month. Gotta buy the 2 before Nov 30th, and you get the free one in January. Weird.

Edited by Aggie87

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wish they would have some Columbia Albums- looking for the first few Santana albums.

Unfortunately the majority of Columbias were dropped a year ago, though awhile back I think a lone Johnny Cash and maybe a Willie Nelson returned.

If it's just about price and not fulfilling your queue obligations you might want to look at deepdiscount. Shipping is free too.

Santana (bonus tracks) - 7.97

Abraxas (Legacy remaster, bonus tracks) - 6.74

Santana 3 (Legacy w/ bonus tracks) - 7.97

Caravanserai (Legacy remaster) - 7.18

Love, Devotion, Surrender (Legacy) - 5.00

Remember that the 1st album is also available in a 2 disc Woodstock version if interests you at all. There's a thread about Woodstock editions if you care to read about how one live track was reconstructed, in case you're very sensitive to authenticity in live recordings. Also note that the movie version of "Soul Sacrifice" is different than the reality (I like the movie edit more, although it's been about 10 years since I heard it, and I doubt I've ever heard it sober.)

I just realized that the Complete Ella Fitzgerald Song Books set I bought from BMG is missing a disc. I sent an email to the address on the front page of yourmusic.com. I bought it earlier this year. Is there any hope?

Call me weird, but I simply can't have a boxed set with a missing disc on my shelves. OCD, I am sure...

• 2 weeks later...

I just realized that the Complete Ella Fitzgerald Song Books set I bought from BMG is missing a disc. I sent an email to the address on the front page of yourmusic.com. I bought it earlier this year. Is there any hope?

Call me weird, but I simply can't have a boxed set with a missing disc on my shelves. OCD, I am sure...

That's not weird at all. It would bug the heck out of me, too.

I almost bought the Ella set from yourmusic, but picked up a used copy from our esteemed board member Big Al.

No matter how you obtain it, there's some great music in that set! :)

• 3 weeks later...

That's not weird at all. It would bug the heck out of me, too.

I almost bought the Ella set from yourmusic, but picked up a used copy from our esteemed board member Big Al.

No matter how you obtain it, there's some great music in that set! :)

What Skid said: not weird at all! I'd go apeshit if a box was missing a disc!

• 4 weeks later...

I quit last month. I watched their selection gradually dwindle over a long period of time, and when they had a bunch of promotions in Nov. and Dec. I bought up almost everything left in my queue. What sealed the deal for me was when they started taking 3 weeks or more to ship items that had been at a steady spot in my queue for a while (and a replacement of a damaged item they said they had shipped 2-3 weeks before it actually did), and taking 2 weeks to reply to questions/complaints I sent Customer Service via their website.

I'm glad I was a member, as I got a lot of good things -- mostly ECM and Blue Note discs -- for good prices. But I resisted the urge to stick around and keep buying discs I didn't feel any real urge to own.

But I resisted the urge to stick around and keep buying discs I didn't feel any real urge to own.

That was my feeling as well. I have a lot of cd's I haven't opened yet, and I came to the conclusion that I needn't buy fairly attractive albums just because they are priced so low. If the day ever comes that I have opened all that I have now, I may join again.

I've never had a problem with them, but I agree that, aside from a few BN titles that I should be whipped for not yet owning, my 40-some item queue is bogged down by "3 star" material.

Tho I'm glad to see those two ECM titles finally show up.

What ECM titles, I couldn't see any in the New Releases list.

Incidebntally, when the jazz selection palls, there is a lot of classical to explore. Much of my queue is classical now.