A little some thing for 'Ali G' fans....

Rodeo in Salem gets unexpected song rendition: A man purportedly from Kazakhstan launched into a diatribe instead of "The Star-Spangled Banner."

By Laurence Hammack. The Roanoke Times

From the BBC:

One person who is likely to regret the day he met Borat is Tennessee rodeo manager Bobby Rowe, who is cajoled by the comedian into making disparaging remarks about Muslims and homosexuals.

A phone call to Mr Rowe and an enquiry about whether he is the person in the movie elicits a slow, painful reply: "Yeah, I'm the same one."

But he says he has been stung by his experiences. "I got into this mess by someone calling me and telling me who they was and they weren't," he says.

"And so I don't do any interviews over the dadgum phone any more. This phone rings 10-12 times a day.

"That's what got me into this mess and I don't want to get in any deeper."

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rodeo in Salem gets unexpected song rendition: A man purportedly from Kazakhstan launched into a diatribe instead of "The Star-Spangled Banner."

By Laurence Hammack. The Roanoke Times

From the BBC:

One person who is likely to regret the day he met Borat is Tennessee rodeo manager Bobby Rowe, who is cajoled by the comedian into making disparaging remarks about Muslims and homosexuals.

A phone call to Mr Rowe and an enquiry about whether he is the person in the movie elicits a slow, painful reply: "Yeah, I'm the same one."

But he says he has been stung by his experiences. "I got into this mess by someone calling me and telling me who they was and they weren't," he says.

"And so I don't do any interviews over the dadgum phone any more. This phone rings 10-12 times a day.

"That's what got me into this mess and I don't want to get in any deeper."

And I bet this guy listened to Cheech & Chong, back in the day.

MG

I was wondering if the college frat boys had been deliberately faked but maybe not. :unsure: Put it down I guess to brain addling with that cac brew they were putting back.

Frat boys sue over 'Borat' role

Nov. 10, 2006. 08:33 AM

ASSOCIATED PRESS

SANTA MONICA, Calif. — Two unsuspecting fraternity boys want to make lawsuit against "Borat" over their drunken appearance in the hit movie.

The legal action filed Thursday on their behalf claims they were duped into appearing in the spoof documentary "Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan," in which they made racist and sexist comments on camera.

The young men "engaged in behavior that they otherwise would not have engaged in," the lawsuit says.

"Borat" follows the adventures of comedian Sacha Baron Cohen's Kazakh journalist character in a blend of fiction and improvised comic encounters as he travels across the United States and mocks Americans.

The plaintiffs were not named in the lawsuit "to protect themselves from any additional and unnecessary embarrassment.'' They were identified in the movie as fraternity members from a South Carolina university, and appeared drunk as they made insulting comments about women and minorities to Cohen's character.

The lawsuit claims that in October 2005, a production crew took the students to a bar to drink and "loosen up" before participating in what they were told would be a documentary to be shown outside of the United States.

"They were induced to agree to participate and were told the name of the fraternity and the name of their school wouldn't be used," said the plaintiffs' attorney, Olivier Taillieu. "They were put into an RV and were made to believe they were picking up Borat the hitchhiker.''

After a bout of heavy drinking, the plaintiffs signed a release form they were told "had something to do with reliability issues with being in the RV," Taillieu said.

The film "made plaintiffs the object of ridicule, humiliation, mental anguish and emotional and physical distress, loss of reputation, goodwill and standing in the community," the lawsuit said.

It names 20th Century Fox, a unit of News Corp., and three production companies as defendants.

Studio spokesman Gregg Brilliant said the lawsuit "has no merit.''

The plaintiffs were seeking an injunction to stop the studio from displaying their image and likeness, along with unspecified monetary damages.

"Borat" debuted as the top movie last weekend with $26.5 million.

This is one of the most effective pieces of stinging social commentary that has been put to film in quite some time

I don't really see it that way. A few encounters with people saying stupid stuff don't make a "social commentary".

I think Kevin Drum has it right: "But the lesson of the movie wasn't some razor-sharp subversive point about how we're all racists and xenophobes an inch under the surface, the lesson was that if you act like a complete whack job you can get ordinary people flustered and flummoxed."

Guy

Edited by Guy

• 3 weeks later...

This is one of the most effective pieces of stinging social commentary that has been put to film in quite some time

I don't really see it that way. A few encounters with people saying stupid stuff don't make a "social commentary".

I think Kevin Drum has it right: "But the lesson of the movie wasn't some razor-sharp subversive point about how we're all racists and xenophobes an inch under the surface, the lesson was that if you act like a complete whack job you can get ordinary people flustered and flummoxed."

Guy

I tend to agree. Saw the movie a few weeks ago. Liked it, didn't love it. Thought much of it was hilarious, but I couldn't get past the "fake" documentary aspect of it all, some of that due to knowing how it was produced and shot and how people were manipulated into saying/doing things that they might not normally say and do.

One thing i found intersting, though, was the different reactions that certain groups of people had to Borat. Someone above posted how "disturbing" it was to see the Christians at the dinner table, at the revival meeting, or at the rodeo, but I actually found those to be among the film's best moments. It was touching to see how the Southern Christians accepted Borat - a complete stranger - at their table and were pleasant to him (for as long as they could at least) while he did his best to insult them. Contrast this to the folks in NYC whose first thought when Borat tried to greet and hug them was physical violence to keep him away. I haven't spent much time in the South, but if that's an example of Southern hospitality I'll take that to the cynicism and aggression of big city life any day.

• 1 month later...

The /Film Award for the Best Acceptance Speech of the 2007 Golden Globes goes to

Sacha Baron Cohen.

Cohen won the award for Best Actor in a Comedy or Musical. Here is his hilarious

speech:

“I want to thank the Hollywood Foreign Press. And I just want to say that this

movie was a life-changing experience. I saw some amazing, beautiful, invigorating parts of

America. But I saw some dark parts of America, an ugly side of America. A side of America

that rarely sees the light of day.

I refer, of course, to the anus and testicles of my co-star, Ken Davitian.

[Davitian shrugs and raises a wine glass]

Ken, when I was in that scene and I stared down and saw your two wrinkled golden

globes on my chin, I thought to myself, ‘I better win a bloody award for this.’

And then when my 300-pound co-star decided to sit on my face and squeeze the

oxygen from my lungs, I was faced with a choice: Death or to breathe in the air that had been

trapped in a small pocket between his buttocks for 30 years.

Kenneth, if it was not for that rancid bubble, I would not be here today.'

The /Film Award for the Best Acceptance Speech of the 2007 Golden Globes goes to

Sacha Baron Cohen.

Cohen won the award for Best Actor in a Comedy or Musical. Here is his hilarious

speech:

“I want to thank the Hollywood Foreign Press. And I just want to say that this

movie was a life-changing experience. I saw some amazing, beautiful, invigorating parts of

America. But I saw some dark parts of America, an ugly side of America. A side of America

that rarely sees the light of day.

I refer, of course, to the anus and testicles of my co-star, Ken Davitian.

[Davitian shrugs and raises a wine glass]

Ken, when I was in that scene and I stared down and saw your two wrinkled golden

globes on my chin, I thought to myself, ‘I better win a bloody award for this.’

And then when my 300-pound co-star decided to sit on my face and squeeze the

oxygen from my lungs, I was faced with a choice: Death or to breathe in the air that had been

trapped in a small pocket between his buttocks for 30 years.

Kenneth, if it was not for that rancid bubble, I would not be here today.'

I would say that was the funniest part of the show.....much better than the ramblings of Warren Beaty and all the Jack Nicholson ass kissing!

m~

m~