Don Pullen Mosaic

skeith

It came out, and it's fantastic! I, sadly, wasn't yet acquainted with the Pullen-Adams Quartet.. picked it up recently and have been all but inhaling BREAKTHROUGH and SONG EVERLASTING for the past several days. In fact, just taped a Night Lights program this morning that will air a week from Saturday... will post a link when it's broadcast.

Thanks Lon,

wow are you the only one that got this? so the sound is not much better?

Let me ask you a few questions/make a few comments:

I haven't listened in a while, but my memory says that "Breakthrough", which is one of my all time favorite records, was a much better record than "Song Everlasting".

The trio records I have always had mixed feelings about, in some ways I thought Pullen fit uncomfortably as a Blue Note headliner and while I liked these, there was something about the heads of the tunes or something that never quite clicked for me. I always liked Pullen's work on European labels better, particulary his marvelous solo piano.

Give us your thoughts.

Thanks

Edited by skeith

Well. . . I'm not sure that my thoughts will help you; I like the trio albums best. Largely because. . . well I love piano trios, and Pullen was such a unique talent that I love his being so richly presented in the trio format. AND. . . I"ll put on my heat resistant suit. . .a little bit of Adams goes a long way with me. I really DO like his work, but I find myself tiring of him sooner than I do Pullen.

So. . . I listen to the trio albums more. I haven't heard many European trio albums from Pullen, so I can't really compare them.

Sonicwise. . . I think there is some improvement in this new version, but the original cds didn't sound horrible, and I wouldn't buy this just for the sound.

Likewise, I have heard no discussion. While I've heard of Adams & Pullen, I have nothing by them. Who would they compare to?

Any other reviews of the set.

The Pullen Adams quartet is a spin-off group from the last great Charles Mingus group, which recorded Changes One and Changes Two. Dannie Richmond, Mingus' long-time drummer, is the drummer, and the bassist is Cameron Brown. The two Blue Notes are, I believe, the last two recordings by this group, which was one of the outstanding jazz groups from the late 1970s through the 1980s. These were their first recordings for a U.S. label.

The Pullen Adams quartet previously recorded for Timeless, Soul Note, Horo and Palcoscenico.

George Adams and Don Pullen are both great. They have in common that they are both masterful musicians in the jazz tradition, are strong blues players, and are brilliant avant gardists. These three elements are seamlessly blended in their playing.

So. . . I listen to the trio albums more. I haven't heard many European trio albums from Pullen, so I can't really compare them.

Just to clarify, when I meant his work on European labels, I did not mean trios. I am thinking in particular of two solo albums "Evidence of Things Unseen" and "Healing Force" and an album called "Sixth Sense"?, not sure about the title, which is probably a quintet- these are on Black Saint or Soul Note. I particularly like the solo albums and any fan of Pullen should check those out.

I happen to love George Adams, but I think I can understand your sentiments about him.

Likewise, I have heard no discussion. While I've heard of Adams & Pullen, I have nothing by them. Who would they compare to?

Any other reviews of the set.

This might seem like an odd comparison, or maybe not, but I'd compare Pullen's playing to some of Keith Jarrett's early work. A combination of outside & groove-oriented playing.

Guy

Well I would agree with Guy except to say that some of Pullen's playing gets a lot more "out" than Jarrett's does, I mean Pullen verges on Cecil Taylor.... in my opinion. But I like Pullen better and it's not so out all the time that it's completely dissonant or whatever the word is, and yes Pullen knows how to groove in the funkiest sense of the word.

Well I would agree with Guy except to say that some of Pullen's playing gets a lot more "out" than Jarrett's does, I mean Pullen verges on Cecil Taylor.... in my opinion.  But I like Pullen better and it's not so out all the time that it's completely dissonant or whatever the word is, and yes Pullen knows how to groove in the funkiest sense of the word.

I dunno... Jarrett's playing on, say "Bird Flight" (from Dream Weaver) or "Angles (Without Edges)" (from Fort Yawuh) is pretty far outside. I'll agree that Pullen spends more time in that zone. (I'm only familiar with the Pullens/Adam stuff, though.)

Guy

Edited by Guy Berger

"Mingus Moves" is a pretty excellent album with Pullen/Adams, too.

I actually think that the BN P/A stuff is a little weaker than the other albums I have heard. Nothing wrong with them, but a little more tame, or something. (I can't quite put my finger on it)

OTOH, anything by these guys is a cut above most other albums out there.

I saw Pullen a couple of times with Mingus and was very impressed. I was also present for his solo recording on Sackville. Though you can't tell, John Norris and Bil Smith often had a paid audience when they did the recordings to help defray the costs. But what I really like is Ode To Life: his tribute to George Adams on Blue Note. It's one of his "African _Brazilian Connection" cds which may not be to everone's taste. Sadly, as I remember it he died not too long after Adams.

I found a copy of this one used in a local haunt in the Bay Area over the holidays...number 0015 in fact!

I had only RANDOM THOUGHTS (a trio date) and BREAKTHROUGH (with Adams/Richmond/Brown), so half of the music is new to me. The sound is definitely significantly improved for BREAKTHROUGH which was a pretty early era CD...it wasn't horrible for its time but there is no comparison, much improved for this new release.

The Pullen/Adams band is IMHO fantastic...truly joyous, jubilant, sophisticated stuff shot through with excellent humor and a rootsy, almost folksy approach at times...come to think of it, not unlike the best of Mingus himself. BREAKTHROUGH is the better album but SONG EVERLASTING is certainly no slouch, these are two of the finest albums of the era IMHO.

Of the trios, I have yet to fully warm to RANDOM THOUGHTS although I like it better than I did when I first got it. I much prefer the NEW BEGINNINGS trio with Peacock and Tony Williams, which I think is a quiet masterpiece. This is partly for Williams' great work but also I think that I prefer Pullen in this slightly more rootsy, closer to the mainstream mode than in his hammering mode (much on display in RANDOM THOUGHTS). He has some favored licks/mannerisms when playing in that mode that to me are the pianistic equivalent of David Murray's dog range high whistling thing, interesting once or twice but ultimately over-used and wearying. The fact the stuff is "challenging" doesn't bother me, but so far it hasn't repayed my efforts...could be my deficiency, I'll keep trying.

Also the material on the trio date with Williams I find to be much more memorable, fresh.

Anyway, this is HIGHLY worthy of anyone's attention, I can't imagine one being disappointed by this box. If nothing else, jazz has seldom ever felt as joyful as it could in these amazing hands - there are some of the most truly celebratory sounding jazz songs you'll ever hear - the opening cut from BREAKTHROUGH for example, "Mr. Smoothie," and "Jana's Delight" on NEW BEGINNINGS.

Was listening to "Breakthrough" (the BN CD, not the box) last night and realized that one of the tunes was familiar - "Song From the Old Country". I looked through all my Adams/Pullen and Mingus albums, but couldn't find where I had heard it.

It finally dawned on me that it's on David Murray's "Shakill's Warrior" with Don on organ. A better version, I think, too.

Bluerein 

Posted: Jan 15 2005, 08:56 AM

DrJ: maybe you can ask Mosaic who it was sold to and if it's a board member he/she should get a bann of some weeks and a chance to clearify selling this set!!!!

Agreed! ;) Beware, folks, you have a whole lot of Big Brothers watching...

Only being into jazz for about 5 or 6 years, there's still ALOT of music that I haven't yet come across. Every now and then, you discover some music that really blows your mind and you can't believe you hadn't heard about it before. Well, I'm happy to say that this set has provided me with yet another one of those experiences. This music is wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...