Paul Knopf

Joe

This pianist / composer is mentioned admiringly if en passant by Francis Davis in an essay ("Circles, Whirls and Eights", 1987) about Borah Bergman, but I've never heard any other critic stand up and be counted on Knopf's work. Davis references "three excellent but overlooked albums [dating from] the late fifties". I'm just wondering if anyone here has heard these records -- I believe they were made for the Playback label, a label about which information is just as scarce -- and can discuss them.

And, lo and behold, a Google search reveals that Knopf appears to still be active in the music...

http://www.wsumc.org/Staff/paulknopf.html

Thanks in advance.

I owned two of those albums which I originally picked up in cut-out bins (Aaaaah! Those were the days!). The had interesting covers, and his piano playing was somewhere between Monk and Elmo Hope at their most "out." It certainly was "avant garde" for the period, but not Cecil Taylor!

• 10 months later...

While it's true that many obscure artists are deservedly so , the meritorious deserve a place in jazz history . Paul Knopf is the kind of artist that makes crypto-jazzology both so rewarding and so important .

Garth was right to list Monk and Hope as stylistic confreres , to which I would add Herbie

Nichols . Paul told me that he heard Nichols at the Page Three club where Nichols was backing singers ; he even subbed for Nichols one night at the Metropole with Cootie Williams outfit .

Paul hooked up with Richard Davis ( or " Richie Davis " as he is listed on the Knopf lps ) in the autumn of 1958 . Along with drummer Jim Olin they cut two trio dates that came out in 1959 . A third session with brass was recorded but never issued as no complete takes were laid down .Despite critical praise in Downbeat , Metronome and Playboy , Playback Records , run by rank amateurs , failed to promote the lps and thus Knopf was condemned to obscurity

He emerged again on a self-produced trio lp in 1977 assisted by Jack Six and Joe Cocuzzo.

All three Knopf trio dates are composed entirely of original compositions and are earnestly

recommended to afficianados of jazz piano .

Edited by Chas

• 6 years later...