Overlooked pianists

Alon Marcus

Yet another "overlooked" thread but someone has to do the dirty job!

Hampton Hawes and Elmo Hope were pobably treated as two mere Bud Powell imitators. They are never mentioned as important historical figures. I don't think they had the luck of playing in super important groups like Miles' quintet. Do you think Red Garland could be counted as important as he is if he didn't play with Davis?

How about Marcus Roberts? His tribute to Joplin is pure genius IMHO.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously famous company has a big significance on general perception, but I feel both Hampton and Elmo are considered more than just Bud imitators. Red just may just have been in the right place at the right time, although his block chording

did have imitators.

For overlooked pianists who could really play, I would nominate Ronnie Ball from the Tristano school. Another would be Oscar Dennard, who played with Lional Hampton in the 50's, before dying young...

Q

Obviously famous company has a big significance on general perception, but I feel both Hampton and Elmo are considered more than just Bud imitators. Red just may just have been in the right place at the right time, although his block chording

did have imitators.

For overlooked pianists who could really play, I would nominate Ronnie Ball from the Tristano school. Another would be Oscar Dennard, who played with Lional Hampton in the 50's, before dying young...

Q

Another yes to Oscar Dennard. A widely forgotten pianist. Enjoyed another rare appearance of his on a Lionel Hampton date recorded in Paris in 1956 and originally released as 'Hampton in Hifi' on Philips in France. Found and anjoyed this on a Fontana vinyl reissue of this titled 'Hampton Goes Europe'. Hampton and a rhythm section of Dennard, Billy Mackel on guitar, Peter Badie on bass and Albert Gardner on drums. Great Hampton date where they play songs like 'It's a Long Way to Tipperary', 'La Vie en Rose', 'Le Prisonnier de Nantes', 'Danny Boy' and other European songs!

Some other overlooked pianists:

Clarence Profit

Clyde Hart

Lorraine Geller

Paul Moers

Joel Futterman

well, I'm prejudiced because he was a friend of mine, but Al Haig, paritcularly his recordings from the early 1950s. He set the standard, and pianist like Tommy Flanagan, Barry Harris, and Hank Jones have all cited him as an early influence, as establishing an alternative to Bud Powell's sound. Also, Bill Crow has pointed out that Al was one of the most important musicians in establishing the chord changes on standard tunes, the changes used by most pianists that followed him. A great musician and a very interesting guy -

Edited by AllenLowe

There are some fine names that have been thrown out so far, but coming to this thread late in the day, I was surprised that no one had mentioned Claude Williamson. He is certainly one of the best following in the Powell tradition, but with his own technical brilliance thrown in. From the west coast group we also have the brillliance of Russ Freeman, and Pete Jolly,

One pianist who is widely recognized for his seminal contribution to jazz, and yet never really gets the attention he deserves as a pianist is John Lewis! Whenever I am feeling the need to lose myself into jazz improvisation, I listen to John Lewis.

Edited by garthsj

There are some fine names that have been thrown out so far, but coming to this thread late in the day, I was surprised that no one had mentioned Claude Williamson. He is certainly on the best following in the Powell tradition, but with his own technical brilliance thrown in. From the west coast group we also have the brillliance of Russ Freeman, and Pete Jolly,

One pianist who is widely recognized for his seminal contribution to jazz, and yet never really gets the attention he deserves as a pianist is John Lewis! Whenever I am feeling the need to lose myself into jazz improvisation, I listen to John Lewis.

Absolutely right, Garth. I'll throw in Lou Levy as well.