Motian/Frisell/Lovano -- I Have the Room Above Her

Guy Berger

Odd question perhaps, but do you guys feel this new one is "closer" to the JMTs and Winters or to their previous ECM album? Though I love this trio, their ECM album ("It Should've Happened...") is my least favorite.

I don't know RDK, I guess mine are mostly JMTs, the only Winter I have is the "Sound of Love" live one. Not sure I noticed a particularly different character from the one Wiinter I have to the JMTs.

This new one is clearly the old formula and yet there is something just slightly but indescriibably different, but I can't articulate it.

Lovin' it though, Big time

Sorry Guy, Hope the torture ends soon!!!

How is LIVE IN TOKYO? Spotted that one yesterday.

Pryan - when this first came out, I was not a huge fan of it-but that is only relative to their other cds which I consider superb. BUt I don't think it has been reissued so it probably is hard to find, and depending on what the price is, you may want to grab it.

It Should Have A Long Time Ago, but I finally got this in the mail. Great stuff! Will post more reactions later.

More reactions later: Very nice. It's odd how they programmed the slower stuff at the beginning and the feistier stuff near the end. Lovano's playing is really beautiful; it's always weird to me when people call him the weakest link in this trio.

Guy

Edited by Guy Berger

Best stuff, after about a week of listening: "Osmosis Part III", title track, "Dance", "Harmony" (Lovano is really outstanding on this one), "The Bag Man", "One in Three". The second half of the album is really where it all comes together.

Guy

Yeah, I am inclined to agree, the band seems more on fire in the tracks you describe and in "the Riot Act" where I think Frisell really cuts loose and uses some effects.

The melodies seems stronger on these tunes too compared to those on the first half of the cd. However, I love the first tune and the melody is so slight I am not even sure it's there.

But I am really enjoyed this cd and was happy to see in Jazzmatazz that Trioism is set to be released in the futre.

• 1 year later...