Motian/Frisell/Lovano -- I Have the Room Above Her

Guy Berger

This is my favorite working band on the planet - they've been doing the trio for twenty years, and have recorded for ECM, Soul Note, JMT and Winter&Winter. I've heard them at the Vanguard many times, and at their most recent gig there a few months ago, as always, I was delighted to hear their mix of Motian's originals, Monk, and standards. I'll be at the record store when they open the doors on Feb. 8.

This is my favorite working band on the planet - they've been doing the trio for twenty years, and have recorded for ECM, Soul Note, JMT and Winter&Winter. I've heard them at the Vanguard many times, and at their most recent gig there a few months ago, as always, I was delighted to hear their mix of Motian's originals, Monk, and standards. I'll be at the record store when they open the doors on Feb. 8.

I love the Monk record. :wub:

I'm with Frank & Skeith...great that these three are still playing together...got my pre-order in yesterday!The Vanguard first live album on JMT shades it over the others for me.I always feel too that Lovano is at his best in this group...and as for Motian...the guys a phenomenon,long may he prosper.

Saw them over here about 8 years ago...come back!!!

p.s.sorry to gloat,but it's out a week Monday here :D

Edited by Green Dolphin

Guest akanalog

really? i have disliked them live. lovano and motian seem to me, to be the epitome of aloof white guys playing jazz- wearing their sunglasses in the dark village vanguard and playing their cold unconnecting music. i have heard just bout everything by this trio-i like "it should have happened a long time ago" but otherwise-not crazy about this group. i think it brings out the worst in all the players.

One of the most annoying things about being on a stage with bright lights in your face is one's inability to see the audience - maybe sunglasses help them to see the folks they're playing for by blocking the light a bit. Lovano is one of the most magnanimous, larger-than-life human beings I know, Frisell's a bit shy, but a great, generous guy; and though it's easy to think of Motian as aloof, he's a warm, funny man. And what the hell does race have to do with it? These guys are all master musicians whether considered as a trio or individually, and they certainly don't need me to defend them - their 20+ year body of work speaks for itself. The above post is a perfect example of "listening with the eyes". At least I'll give Akanalog credit for hearing "just about everything" by a group that "brings out the worst in all its players". I'd never bother to do that..........

I love their trio outings. I've bought most of their commercially available material, and I've got a bootleg that I cherish. They're relaxed and friendly, without it becoming a smug and tedious mutual admiration society. That's really hard to pull off, and they do it with a sound that's light and open yet rich with subtext.

• 3 weeks later...