Monk Time Mag cover

While cleaning out a file cabinet recently I came across the February 28, 1964 issue of Time, The Weekly Magazine (thirty cents), volume 83 No. 9, with Jazzman Thelonious Monk on the cover, painted by Boris Chaliapin. The cover banner reads: JAZZ: Bebop and Beyond. The story inside, written by Barry Farrell, is called The Lonliest Monk. I've had this collector's item in my possession for over 40 years

My question is this: Does anyone know what this artifact might be worth. I've never seen it on ebay or other jazz auction sites. I don't want to get rid of it but I am curious as to it's value.

Thanks!

Steve Schwartz

Steve, I have one too (maybe 2 copies) and don't want to get rid of them.

Mention of this reminded me, I knew the Monk piece (and cover) was done and was knew the publication date. I bugged my local news vendor to save a couple for me (like there would be a rush). The whole Time "event" was set in motion because of the impending big band concert at Lincoln Center. The cover/piece was scrapped by the JFK shooting. Luckily, they revived it 90 days later.

I'm guessing this one's value at $4.99.

VINTAGE TIME MAGAZINE 2/28/64 JAZZ, THELONIOUS MONK

18_1_b.JPG

Since the guy used "Buy it Now" that isn't really a measure of current value. You know the psychology-get it while you can before it gets bid up. I'd be curious if there have been any recently completed auctions to give a better view of the value.