Jazz Oracle

LAL

The Eddie South is a 3-disc set!

bdw8054.jpg

The complete Cheloni broadcasts, recorded by violinist South and his orchestra in Hollywood. This set provides a glimpse of South's broad repertoire, from popular songs of the day to tangos, rumbas and traditional folk songs.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

This one has been out for a while:

BDW 8056 - The Three T’s – “Live” from the Hickory House – 1936

bdw8056Big.jpg

The Discovery of these Recordings

In 1968, Keith Miller and I were in Chicago and while there we visited with the famous

record collector and jazz authority,John Steiner, in his home. It was during this visit

that I first became aware of the existence of recordings of some of the December 1936

radio broadcasts of the Three T’s from the Hickory House in New York.

As an aside to this story, an added bonus while visiting with John Steiner was breaking

the seal, dated 1955, on a bottle of Canadian whiskey, and standing in his kitchen

talking with John Williams, Mary Lou’s ex-husband and leader of the Synco Jazzers,

a band that recorded for Paramount in 1927. I’ll never forget the look on Keith’s face

and his excitement when after about five minutes of conversation with John Williams

he realized to whom he was speaking. His introduction had simply been, “Keith, meet

John Williams.”

Later that evening, Keith called me aside to look at a box of reel-to-reel tape that he

had noticed sitting on a table in the corner and marked in handwriting, “Teagarden,

Trumbauer, and Teagarden, Hickory House, NBC network, December 1936.” The

evening was turning out to be full of wonderful surprises for both of us. Steiner told

us that the tape had been sent to him for his suggestions on the viability of issue of

the material and his comments on sound quality and general content of the material.

I didn’t hear anything more about the tapes for another ten years.

In 1978, researcher Phil Evans contacted me about the tapes. Phil had been made aware

of the material through his connection with the Trumbauer family regarding his ongoing

research on Bix Beiderbecke. Phil told me that the Three T’s material had been made

available to him and he had been in touch with Stan Hester, the Red Nichols expert and

record producer, about issuing the material on Stan’s LP record label.

A reel-to-reel tape was made from the acetate discs by the Trumbauer family on an

“off-speed” tape recorder from record-playing equipment with a poor stylus, by

means of placing a microphone in front of a speaker. The discs, by this time, were in no

semblance of order and so therefore parts of various broadcasts from December 1936

and January 1937 were in random order as they were transferred to tape. But the obvious

brilliance of the content of the discs led to an attempt at restoration from the poor quality

tapes in 1978, and the eventual issue of some of the performances on Broadway LP 106,

“The Three T’s.”

In late 1999, in the hope of finding out what happened to the original discs, I called

Frank Trumbauer’s grandson, Bill Trumbauer, and was amazed to find that Bill had

the original discs and was willing to make them available. Each half-hour program

comprised three 78 rpm double-sided twelve-inch acetates made for Frank Trumbauer

by a New York-based recording service. The broadcast of December 4 , 1936 was

missing two discs, leaving only Part One backed by Part Six, which gave us the

opening and closing of that broadcast. However, the broadcasts of December 11 and 2 5

were complete. Unfortunately, many of the discs were badly damaged. Furthermore,

the original program, cut continually from disc to disc, was often changed over in

the middle of a selection without the benefit of any overlap. This of course caused

problems with speed and sound quality variation.

During preparation of the material in 2000 and 2001 for CD release, some minor

problems slowed the project and other commitments took priority, which led to a

temporary shelving of the project. With the enthusiasm and encouragement of Jazz

Oracle and the obvious need to get this material released, the unfinished sound

restoration was completed and the result is most satisfying.

DISCOGRAPHY

Source:

Joe Showler CollectionSince

the original acetate discs do not include composer credits, none are given here.

The Three T’s

Charlie Teagarden (t), Jack Teagarden (tb,v), Frank Trumbauer (Cm,v), Herman Crone (p),

Casper Reardon (harp), Min Leibrook (sb), Stan King (d).

Hickory House, New York, December 4 , 1936

01. Theme and Opening (1:09)

02. You Turned The Tables On Me-vJT (2:56)

03. Medley: You Took Advantage Of Me; Tea For Two; Lady Be Good (3:23)

04. Closing and News Bulletin (1:56)

Personnel as above, except Adele Girard (harp) replaces Reardon.

Hickory House, New York, December 11, 1936

05. News Bulletin, Theme and Opening (1:25)

06. ‘Tain’t Good-vJT (2:46)

07. ‘S Wonderful (2:46)

08. Did You Mean It?-vJT (2:16)

09. I’m An Old Cowhand-vJT (2:57)

10. Liza (2:11)

11. Fare Thee Well To Harlem-vJT (3:33)

12. Eclipse (2:09)

13. Mr. T From Tennessee-vJT-FT (2:40)

14. Little Old Lady-vFT (2:55)

15. Medley: Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea; I Got Rhythm (3:01)

16. Closing announcements (0:25)

Charlie Teagarden (t), Jack Teagarden (tb,v), Frank Trumbauer (Cm,v), Herman Crone (p),

Adele Girard (harp,v), Min Leibrook (sb), Stan King (d). Frank Trumbauer is the announcer

on this broadcast after being introduced during the Opening.

Hickory House, New York, December 2 5, 1936

17. Theme and Opening (1:01)

18. ‘S Wonderful (2:49)

19. Christmas Night In Harlem-vJT-FT (3:26)

20. Ode To A Chimney Sweep (3:35)

21. I’ve Got You Under My Skin-vAG (2:19)

22 . Medley: Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea; I Got Rhythm (3:16)

23 . Medley: With Plenty Of Money And You; There’s Frost On The Moon (1:38)

24 . Hejre Kati (1:58)

25. ‘Way Down Yonder In New Orleans-vJT (2:24)

26. Medley: In The Chapel In The Moonlight; Diane; Where The Lazy River Goes By- vJT (4:08)

27. Medley: You Took Advantage Of Me; Tea For Two (2:13)

28. Closing announcements (0:47)

Total Playing Time: 68:02 minutes

• 2 months later...

BDW 8057 JOE ROBICHAUX - 1929-1933 (New Release)

BDW8057

BDW8057Big.jpg

Description

Joe Robichaux was a New Orleans pianist who began his career in the late Teens and

remained active until the early 1960s. During this time he played with many jazz

greats, including Punch Miller, Oscar Celestin, Kid Rena, Lee Collins and George

Lewis. This compilation covers the sides recorded by Joe Robichaux and His New

Orleans Rhythm Boys for Vocalion in 1933, as well as two 1929 recordings by

Christina Gray featuring Robichaux's piano accompaniment.

TRACKS

Christina Gray

Christina Gray (v), Joe Lawrence (v) (as noted), accompanied by Joe Robichaux (p).

New Orleans, December 13, 1929

01. The Reverend Is My Man (Okeh 8757)

02. Just Like You Walked In, You Can Walk Out (Okeh 8757)

Joseph Robichaux (sic) and his New Orleans Rhythm Boys

Joe Robichaux (p) directing Eugene Ware (t), Alfred Guishard (cl, as.v.), Gene Porter (cl, ts),

Walter Williams (g,v), Ward Crosby (d,vib,chimes), unknown (sp), by two members

of the band; unknown (v)

New York, August 22, 1933

03. Ring Dem Bells (Vocalion 2575)

04. St. Louis Blues (Vocalion 2539)

05. Zola (Vocalion 2646)

06. Foot Scuffle (Vocalion 2796)

07. King Kong Stomp ( Vocalion 2539)

08. Stormy Weather (Keeps Rainin’ All The Time) (Vocalion 2540)

09. Saturday Night Fish Fry Drag (Vocalion 2796)

New York, August 23, 1933

10. Every Tub (Vocalion 2827)

11. The Riff (Vocalion 2592)

12. After Me The Sun Goes Down (Vocalion 2610)

13. Jig Music (Vocalion 2545)

New York, August 24, 1933

14. You Keep Me Always Living In Sin (Vocalion 2545)

15. Sleep, Come On And Take Me (Vocalion 2881)

16. Just Like A Falling Star (Vocalion 2881)

17. I Would Do Anything For You (Vocalion 2646)

New York, August 25, 1933

18. She Don¹t Love Me (Vocalion 2827)

19. Lazy Bones (Vocalion 2540)

20. Forty-Second Street (Vocalion 2575)

21. Why Should I Cry For You (Vocalion 2610)

New York, August 26, 1933

22. Shake It And Break It (Vocalion 2592)

23. That¹s How Rhythm Was Born (Perfect 15809)

24. Swingy Little Thingy (Perfect 15809)

Total Time: 69:21 min.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

1885.jpg

Wilton Crawley: 1927-1930

If you've ever wondered how descriptions such as "laughing clarinet" or "stovepipe clarinet" actually translate into sound, this disc is an excellent example. There's also a track on this disc — "Crawley Clarinet Moan" — where I can finally understand why so many reviewers like to relate Albert Ayler's playing to the "roots" of jazz. I don't know if Ayler ever heard Crawley, but I think he (Ayler) would have appreciated/like this song.

Enthusiastically recommended, especially to converts of this era.

• 3 years later...

Finaly Red Nichols gets his due.

1926-1932 Red Nichols recorded with his Five Pennies much for Brunswick. His band features many greats: Miff Mole, Jimmy Dorsey, Benny Goodman and Jack Teagarden to name but a few.

Later Red was put down by a lot of players. Pee Wee Russel said he ran his band like Himmler ran the Gestapo. During the LP reissue era there was no complete Five Pennies series.

He did better in the CD era (list not complete just an overview):

1997 Jazz Oracle issues Red Nichols on Edison

1998 Retrieval issues Red Nichols & Miff Mole 1925-1927

1998 Frog issues Miff Mole vol. 1 and 2.

2001 Jazz Oracle issues Louisiana Rhythm Kings

2001-2008 Classics issues 6 CD's of Red Nichols (2 CD's short of getting to 1932)

2004 Jazz Oracle issues The Read Heads 1925-27 3 CD set

2006 On the the Bix Beiderbecke site a 7 CD Mosaic set Red Nichols and the Five Pennies announced. Track listing reveals that there are no unissued takes but a number of alternates issued only in Canada wich were previously unknown. Producers: Jeff Healey and Dr. Robert Litwak. Notes by Richard Sudhalter. This set would only contain Universal owned recordings.

2008 Jeff Healey and Richard Sudhalter die.

2010 When I asked Scott Wenzel about the set he replied there was copyright BS.

2011 Worldsrecords announces 3 Jazz Oracle 3 CD sets Red Nichols Complete New York Brunswick Sessions. This series will include both the Universal and Sony owned recordings. The notes are by Richard Sudhalter. As bonus tracks are included the Victors not included in the two Frog Miff Mole issues,the Harmony Irving Brodsky session and a track missing from the IAJRC issue of Radio transcriptions. For full track listing see the Worldsrecords site.

This is the first Jazz Oracle issue since 2009

Edited by Stompy Jones

• 1 month later...

1926-1932 Red Nichols recorded with his Five Pennies much for Brunswick. His band features many greats: Miff Mole, Jimmy Dorsey, Benny Goodman and Jack Teagarden to name but a few.

Later Red was put down by a lot of players. Pee Wee Russel said he ran his band like Himmler ran the Gestapo. During the LP reissue era there was no complete Five Pennies series.

2001-2008 Classics issues 6 CD's of Red Nichols (1 CD short of getting to 1932)

2006 On the the Bix Beiderbecke site a 7 CD Mosaic set Red Nichols and the Five Pennies announced. Track listing reveals that there are no unissued takes but a number of alternates issued only in Canada wich were previously unknown. Producers: Jeff Healey and Dr. Robert Litwak. Notes by Richard Sudhalter. This set would only contain Universal owned recordings.

2011 Worldsrecords announces 3 Jazz Oracle 3 CD sets Red Nichols Complete New York Brunswick Sessions. This series will include both the Universal and Sony owned recordings. The notes are by Richard Sudhalter. As bonus tracks are included the Victors not included in the two Frog Miff Mole issues,the Harmony Irving Brodsky session and a track missing from the IAJRC issue of Radio transcriptions. For full track listing see the Worldsrecords site.

Wow - 9CDs ... :excited: ... Amazon.com states 20 September release.

Worldsrecords now announces Jazz Oracle Jelly Roll Morton The Rare Band And Blues Sides. Collecting all pre Victor band sides and Morton as accompanist to blues singers Edmonia Henderson, Lizzie Miles and Billie Young. The sound restoration is by the sound restoration wizzard Hans Eekhoff.

This CD togheter with the Retrieval CD "Ferd 'Jelly Roll' Morton" with his piano solos and the JSP Box covering the Victor recordings you have a almost complete 1923-1930 Jelly Roll Morton. Both restored sound by John R.T. Davies.

Missing are the ca. April 1924 session Jelly Roll morton Stomp Kings/Jazz Kids. Morton is not audible on this.

The January 21st 1928 Levee Serennaders session wich is on Frog DGF9 "Get Easy Blues"

and the march 13 1928 session with Johnny Dunn wich is on Frog DGF33 "Cornet Blues".

I'll be looking forward to this issue with much improved sound over previous issues. Mine being Classics/Neatwork.

http://www.worldsrecords.com/pages/artists/m/morton_jelly_roll/jelly_roll_morton_67284.html

Edited by Stompy Jones

2001-2008 Classics issues 6 CD's of Red Nichols (1 CD short of getting to 1932)

Wow - 9CDs ... :excited: ... Amazon.com states 20 September release.

I pre-ordered all three sets from Worlds Records, and they just sent me a shipping notice. :)

Worldsrecords now announces Jazz Oracle Jelly Roll Morton The Rare Band And Blues Sides. Collecting all pre Victor band sides and Morton as accompanist to blues singers Edmonia Henderson, Lizzie Miles and Billie Young. The sound restoration is by the sound restoration wizzard Hans Eekhoff.

This CD togheter with the Retrieval CD "Ferd 'Jelly Roll' Morton" with his piano solos and the JSP Box covering the Victor recordings you have a almost complete 1923-1930 Jelly Roll Morton. Both restored sound by John R.T. Davies.

Missing are the ca. April 1924 session Jelly Roll morton Stomp Kings/Jazz Kids. Morton is not audible on this.

The January 21st 1928 Levee Serennaders session wich is on Frog DGF9 "Get Easy Blues"

and the march 13 1928 session with Johnny Dunn wich is on Frog DGF33 "Cornet Blues".

I'll be looking forward to this issue with much improved sound over previous issues. Mine being Classics/Neatwork.

http://www.worldsrecords.com/pages/artists/m/morton_jelly_roll/jelly_roll_morton_67284.html

Cool. I have some of this material (I think) on King jazz cds, but the upgrade in sound should be substantial (? not too familiar eith Eekhoff's work).

Hans Eekhoff did the sound restoration on the following CD's (not a complete list):

Jazz Oracle BDW 8060 Fud Livingston

Timeles Historical

CBC 1066 Ray Miller

CBC 1089 Ben Selvin

CBC 1091 Pathé & Cameo Jazzbands

CBC 1093 Paul Whiteman

HEP 1081 The Tennessee Tooters

His privately produced 'The Complete Bix Gennetts' (Royal Oak Records 5002) takes the cake so far.

Edited by Stompy Jones

Right, I've seen some of those cds and know his "name" as a good engineer, but don't have any of those. Thanks.

Got all three three-cd sets in today of the Red Nichols on Brunswick. Beginning to listen to the first one and it sounds really good (engineered by Ted Kendall).

• 4 weeks later...

The Jazz Oracle "Jelly Roll" Morton is not on the market yet but there is already an announcement for a next one.

http://www.worldsrecords.com/cgi-bin/storeR.cgi?specific=itemcode&phrase=72656

The Merritt Brunies sides were issued last year on Retrieval sandwiched between a lot of recordings already available on Timeless Historical.

The newest Jazz Oracle has all of them plus some tracks from New Orleans that have not been on CD before. Like the Scranton Sirens Orchestra.

The Red Nichols sets have arrived safely. :) :) :)

• 6 months later...

Ah, those Brunies sides will be great to have on one cd.

The nine Nichols cds are great.

How are the Nichols CDs, I know some of the music from 78s , often exciting but frequently way to sweet and trivial sounding. I'd be interested in the overall balance of these CDs. I'm guessing it's a real mix of the good , the bad and the ugly.Opinions?

Comments on the latest Jazz Oracle issues:

The Red Nichols CD's imo are great. Whether you like the early chamber music with Miff Mole and Jimmy Dorsey or the later tracks with Benny Goodman and Jack Teagarden. Red got a lot of bad press and I think it's important his music has been reissued properly because now everyone can judge these recordings for them selfes instead of relying on the opinion of others.

Jelly Roll Morton's early band recordings are now for the first time reissued on a very high standard.

Merritt Brunies. This CD makes more sense to me than the Retrieval issue. I refer to my earlier post.

Jimmy Joy this a very good but not a well known band. A few tracks have been on Timeless Historical. This issue puts together for the first time the Golden and Okeh recordings plus a selection of Brunswicks.

Newly announced:

Frank Guarente/Americans in Europe. Combining Frank Guarente's session in Zürich September 1926 and the New Yorkers Tanzorchester sessions in Berlin 1927. This band includes Danny Polo.

Edited by Stompy Jones