Jazz Oracle

LAL

I've known the Jimmy Joy material for some time from a two lp set on IAJRC that has a bit more than the Jazz Oracle. They are a band that started here at the University of Texas and played in the Austin-San Antonio-Dallas area. People actually talk about them here!

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worldsrecords just announced Jazz Oracle BDW 8069 Jimmy Lytell The Complete Pathé Recordings.

Jimmy Lytell was clarinet player with the OM5, Ladd's Black Aces etc. In the period 1926-1928 he had 9 sessions under his own name. He was accompanied by guitar, banjo and piano, Sidemen: Eddie Lang, Dick McDonough, Harry Reser, Frank Signorelli (and an unknown cornet player on one session).

Edited by Stompy Jones

• 1 month later...

I've been trying to enjoy the Celestin/ Morgan release but my copy will not play beyond track 6 . Luckily I've managed to copy the whole disc and listen to that instead. Great music indeed .

The liners make play of the fact that of the 35 sides recorded by black bands in the 20s there are 23 on this disc. So my query is simple what are the other 12 and are they on CD??

I'm assuming they mean black bands recorded in New Orleans in the 1920s. The Jones and Collins Astoria Eight sides probably fit the bill. They're on Frog 5.

There are also the sides by Louis Dumaine's Jazzola Eight. Was he black? I'll have to check some books back home later. The Dumaine sidees are also on Frog 5 (Sizzling the Blues). Highly recommended.

There's an excellent web site that covers recordings made in New Orleans in the 1920s. See here: http://www.bluesworld.com/NODiscog.html

• 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Jazz Oracle just announced West Coast Jazz. It includes the Kid Ory sides, Harvey Brooks' Quality Four (with alt takes), Reb Spikes, Dick Lucke, Freddie Carter, Lake Arrowhead Orchestra and a unknown band.

Frog announced Frog Spawn The Fourth Batch no track listing yet.

well the point is, if they want to issue it on something as cheap and perishable as a CDR, it should be very cheap; maybe $5. And I do think we have a choice; with certain labels (like Document) you have to find older issues of CDs. With Acrobat we need to spread the word AND send them emails of protest. The reality is that replication (non CDR) is extremely cheap these days; they are not paying for musical rights, and they can issue real CDs and probably break even with sales of 50.

• 3 years later...

The Jazz Oracle release, Papa Celestine and Sam Morgan, Recorded in New Orleans,1925-1928, states in the liner notes that only 35 sides of black jazz bands were recorded in New Orleans in the 1920s, and this CD collects 23 of those sides (plus two alternates). What were the other 12? 

The two alternates are part of the 35.

3/25/25    Piron's New Orleans Orchestra

Red Man Blues

Do Just as I Say

3/7/27      Louis Dumaine's Jazzola Eight

Pretty Audrey

To-Wa-Bac-A-Wa

Franklin Street Blues

Red Onion Drag

11/15/29     Jones-Collins Astoria Hot eight

Astoria Stomp

Duet stomp

Hot Weather

Tip Easy Blues

All 35 tracks are in the JSP box set "Breaking Out of New Orleans 1922-1929

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2020 at 7:12 AM, erhodes said:

The two alternates are part of the 35.

3/25/25    Piron's New Orleans Orchestra

Red Man Blues

Do Just as I Say

3/7/27      Louis Dumaine's Jazzola Eight

Pretty Audrey

To-Wa-Bac-A-Wa

Franklin Street Blues

Red Onion Drag

11/15/29     Jones-Collins Astoria Hot eight

Astoria Stomp

Duet stomp

Hot Weather

Tip Easy Blues

All 35 tracks are in the JSP box set "Breaking Out of New Orleans 1922-1929

I imagine that the remaining two are the Fate Marable recordings from 1924: Frankie and Johnny and Pianoflage. 

Edited by John L