The Atlantic Warehouse Fire

nmorin

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chuck, is it more or less a matter of money, or do other (legal) issues come into the mix? I'd buy that reissue from you in a New Jersey half-minute.

:D we're so used to buying reissues

Oops — you caught me on that one!

Now Cherry and Lacy are both gone, and it's a shame that they couldn't have seen this "release" come out in their lifetimes.

So, because the project is too small, Warner isn't interested in leasing the material (that they don't even have possession of)? :wacko:

If it's a matter of money, I bet a number of jazz forums would chip in to get the music released, and out into fans' hands (and into their CD players). Heck, there's a number of gifted graphic designers here as well, so there's your artwork. Grass roots!

It's not much, but I'd pony up $100 for the effort. I'm guessing others would (gladly) do the same.

It's not much, but I'd pony up $100 for the effort. I'm guessing others would (gladly) do the same.

Put me down for $100 too. I'd LOVE to have and hear that Cherry material someday.

Would some sort of grass-root effort be of any value here??

Please note, I don't want to jump the gun and suggest a letter-writing campaign (cuz I understand these things are sometimes best finessed behind the scenes). But if several dozen people were willing to put up $50 or $100 each -- would that maybe get through to the powers that be??? Wishful thinking, to be sure, but stranger things have happened on rare occasion.

Chuck, any advice for us here?? (And I suspect this is gonna come up at least once every three or four years, as long as this material is still in the can.)

I jumped the gun last time (check JSangry's original Diz-n-Bird thread, deep in the thread where some discussion of this unreleased Cherry and Lacy came up -- where I suggested 'carpet-bombing' a certain someone with letters and e-mail about this, which it turned out would have probably been very counterproductive)...

...so, I think it would be helpful to know -- is there a more constructive way to go about trying to -- in the words of JSngry -- FREE THE ATLANTIC TRIOS!!!

(Or maybe we just let it lie, until this comes up again in about 2009 or 2010.)

PS: Wasn't there some speculation that we might see an "unreleased and long-out-of-print Atlantic material" Mosaic Select sometime?? -- that would include the Cherry, Lacy, as well as Hasaan's long thought lost single leader date??

Chuck played that same dub of the Cherry material for me several years ago, and it is indeed amazing. I'd buy a Cherry/Lacy release the day it came out. I'd be quite happy to pay a higher-than-usual list price for it, too.

Me too

but maybe a cheaper alternative

just send the tape to Lonehill ;)

Would some sort of grass-root effort be of any value here??

Chuck, any advice for us here?? (And I suspect this is gonna come up at least once every three or four years, as long as this material is still in the can.)

I jumped the gun last time (check JSangry's original Diz-n-Bird thread, deep in the thread where some discussion of this unreleased Cherry and Lacy came up -- where I suggested 'carpet-bombing' a certain someone with letters and e-mail about this, which it turned out would have probably been very counterproductive)...

...so, I think it would be helpful to know -- is there a more constructive way to go about trying to -- in the words of JSngry -- FREE THE ATLANTIC TRIOS!!!

(Or maybe we just let it lie, until this comes up again in about 2009 or 2010.)

PS: Wasn't there some speculation that we might see an "unreleased and long-out-of-print Atlantic material" Mosaic Select sometime?? -- that would include the Cherry, Lacy, as well as Hasaan's long thought lost single leader date??

Please relax.

Please relax.

Other than the length of my post (and maybe some bolding), I thought my take was rather "relaxed" -- all in all. I even gave you the option to suggest that we let it sit for a few more years.

And FWIW, Chuck, I don't recall you telling JSngry to "relax" back when he once said this...

Jim, now it is time to explain your new avatar!

Chuck also brought along tapes of the Cherry/Grimes/Blackwell & Lacy/Brown/Higgins trio sessions for Atlantic. the ones that are unreleased. The ones they won't lease him because it's not a big enough deal for them to bother with. The ones that are going to be the cause of some stupid dipshits spending eternity in the fiery torments of HELLLLLL-LA if they never, ever get a chance to be heard by the public, in even a limited release. The music is everything Chuck has said it is. At least everything, maybe even more.

Life is a crapshoot, and jazz perhaps even moreso. This great music, this beautiful music cannot be heard even though it is owned by a mega-corporation and even though there is a man willing to pay them real American dollars, the kind that spends(!), for the right to do so. God knows if the music will EVER be released.

Then out of nowhere, a stack of acetates show up in a flea market and we've suddenly got a window on one of the key musical developments of the 20th century ready to be released in a few months. Go figure.

The point is - make noise when and where it can do some good. The new Uptown release can either cause a sensation or remain one of those "duh, I almost bought it but it seemed kinda, uh..., OLD, and I wasn't sure what the SOWND KWALITY would be like so I passed on it, but now that Blue Moon is offering it for $1.75 I guess I'll take a chance on it, besides, I've got the Verve Parker studio masters and that's all the Bird I think I really need" kinda things that make it nothing short of miraculous that some of us haven't just walked around killing everything with two legs that moves by now. You think I'm kidding, don't you....

We all have choices in this life.

Get ready for the Uptown.

And

FREE THE ATLANTIC TRIOS!!!!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Here's my suggestion - go to Rhino Handmade (the web-order boutique for WEA), and suggest that they release a limited edition of it. I mean, they just came out with the complete Atlantic Recordings of Rufus Harley, so they aren't worried about huge volumes! They've done as few as 1500 pieces in some of their limited edition runs, and I would think, with their PR muscle and the instant collectability of their titles, they should be able to move 1500 pieces of the Cherry/Lacy.

Edited by felser

It'll happen when it happens. (This is written by someone who got overly excited when this thread started.) I'm sure that most of us have Lacy & Cherry recordings that we haven't listened to in years - I know I do. They'll do me until the Atlantics come out.

Oh so laid back!!! :cool:

MG

It'll happen when it happens. (This is written by someone who got overly excited when this thread started.) I'm sure that most of us have Lacy & Cherry recordings that we haven't listened to in years - I know I do. They'll do me until the Atlantics come out.

Oh so laid back!!! :cool:

MG

Just a reaction to my being so hyper when news of these sessions was posted a couple of years ago.

• 10 years later...

There are copyright deposits at the Library of Congress for a couple of otherwise unrecorded Duke Pearson compositions from his lost session, as well as Tadd Dameron songs from a lost Milt Jackson session.

So even though some sessions were lost, the compositions survived.

Bertrand.