Your 'old slippers'....

tonym

Here's to a speedy recovery, Ghost! :o

A helmet convert indeed! Vital stuff. (I was in a scooter accident about 16 years ago; I was wearing a helmet, but if I hadn't been, I wouldn't now have a right ear. Skidded for about 10-15 feet down the street on my side, the asphalt whirring under me about an inch away from my cheek.)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strangely enough, I was on a pretty long bike ride yesterday and I couldn't get "Pinball Wizard" out of my head (which would have been fine had the chorus not repeated itself about 108 times). Maybe a spill would have put some Stan Getz on the mental jukebox!

Only joking--hope you're feeling better today, GoM.

Edited by Big Wheel

I had to think about it for a while, but here are some of my "old slippers":

Bobby Hutcherson - Oblique

Antonio Carlos Jobim - Wave

Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy

Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Oz, Tribute

Lionel Hampton/Oscar Peterson - Quartets/Quintets on Verve

Grant Green - Idle Moments

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

MJQ: Under the Jasmine Tree - maybe I picked up on this because it was on the Beatle's Apple label, but it stuck like glue.

Irrepressible Impulses - a 1972 compilation on Impulse that turned me on to Archie Shepp, Pharoah Sanders, the Coltranes (John & Alice), and the underrated John Klemmer (at least as he is heard here on "Crystalled Tears").

Yusef Lateef - Eastern Sounds - lured me in while i was still very impressionable, and I still love it for its simplicity.

KoB of course, but also Milestones.

For jazz, it would probably be "Jazz Brothers" with Howard McGhee, Charlie Rouse, Barry Harris, Lisle Atkinson and Grady Tate ... kind of obscure, but I used to listen to alot while walking my middle daughter to sleep when she was first born ... nice memories.

Non-jazz (but not exactly rock): Joan Osborne's cover disc "How Sweet It Is" ... love her voice and interpretations here.

For rock, it would have to be my remastered copy of the Stones' "Hot Rocks" ... the sound on this is fantastic.

I have several that I always seem to fall back on when. These are some more recent old slippers for me....

Art Pepper - Winter Moon

Pepper with strings seems to be a real nice fit, this cd is very relaxing to me.

This one just has a great vibe to it.

B00005UOKQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Art Blakey - Ugetsu

A great live performance, always makes me feel good.

Like Ghost of Miles, I have the compilation "The Gentle Side of John Coltrane", also like him I've since purchased the originals, but I still spin this one frequently.

Definitely a better best of recording. :tup

Yusef Lateef - Eastern Sounds - lured me in while i was still very impressionable, and I still love it for its simplicity.

That's a favorite "slipper" of mine too. Also The Golden Flute. Miles' Blue Moods is another.

GoM - Glad to hear that you're ok. Unfortunately, sometimes it takes a close call like that to wake us up.

• 1 year later...

Since it's been almost 2 years now,

I wanted to revive this thread to see if

anybody's "slippers" have changed since.

It's a bit hard for me to choose,

because there are so many recordings

that have special meanings,

but I'd say:

jazz: Cannonball Adderley: 74 Miles Away

rock: just about anything with Manuel Göttsching's guitar

Ever since I bought the Analogue Productions SACD of Bill Evans: Waltz For Debby, I have continued to be entranced by the music. I listen to it at least once a week now. The opening notes of My Foolish Heart immediately take to another place. Sometimes I concentrate on LaFaro, at times Motian, and always, above everything, Bill Evans. I love this SACD for some reason. :wub:

AJAZ-9399LG.jpg

Edited by Matthew

I'm not sure if mine have changed that much; creature of habit!

Miles' Relaxin', Getz's Roost quartet performances and The Steamer. Lately when on late jobs where I need to catch a bit of sleep or relaxation I find Tord Gustavson's recordings do the trick very nicely :)

Haven't really had old listening slippers since maybe the early 70's, but back then they included:

Mingus x 5

Ornette: Golden Circle Vol. 1

The Best of Muddy Waters

Mississippi John Hurt: Today

Billie Holiday: Lady Day

The Band

whatever Chuck Berry greatest hits LPs I had in my collection then

I still listen to all of those, but not with any kind of regularity. I have too much to listen to these days to keep coming back to old favorites.

• 7 years later...

I liked the slippers-question (and I know this thread has been asleep for years) and this was my instant response, without any analysis or second thoughts.

My Jazz Slippers:

Don Pullen: Healing Force

(Not comfy slippers in the soothing/sleepy sense of the word, but my favorite solo piano jazz record, though I have hundreds of them, and the one I keep adding to my iPhone playlist again and again as the safest bet – it always moves me to tears and beyond.)

David Murray: The Hill

(The perfect jazz album, where Murray shows his complete understanding of the history of this art form without reducing his take on it into pastiche.)

Mal Waldron: Tokyo Bound

(Not the best Waldron album, but super delicious to my ears: repetitive, minimalistic waldronism played with fairly obscure Japanese bassist and drummer, but e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g is so perfectly in place that I get guaranteed pleasure from it every time. Also the simple compositions are perfect in their waldronesque/satie-like manner and the trio presents them like as if they were Bach jewels – and kind of turns them into such perfections through their patient and ritualistic readings.)

Cecil Taylor: One Too Many Salty Swift And Not Goodbye

(The best Cecil album – if I had to choose just one – free jazz bliss, 2 and a half hours of it, very well recorded, though the piano itself not in good condition, but that doesn't prevent Cecil from scaling the heights, and marvelous to hear Jimmy Lyons, Raphe Malik and Shannon Jackson in peak form and with such a large canvas at their disposal.)

Maybe it's no coincidence that all but one of these are G. Bonandrini productions. I love the big meaty sound his people usually got on tape all those Black Saint / Soul Note records. It's a sound that's warm and tough simultaneously, and the trebles have real edge too, like I like them to have.

Teemu Mäki, Helsinki, 26.12.2013.

Welcome Donpullenwasgreat and thanks for bumping this thread, which I've never seen before.

I think I've got to say that most of my old slippers would be from the R&B world

James Brown - Grits & soul - Smash

Ray Charles - What'd I say - Atlantic

David Newman & Ray Charles - Fathead - Atlantic

Etta James - At last - Argo

but a few jazz albums, too

Lou Donaldson - Blues walk and Gravy train. (Well, 'Alligator bogaloo', too, I guess. Oh, and 'The natural soul'.)

Hank Crawford - True Blue - Atlantic

Les McCann - The truth - PJ

Gerald Wilson - On stage - PJ

MG