interesting/significant "expanded" CD reissues????

Rooster_Ties

Seems like every once in a while, usually entirely by accident, I stumble across a fancy double-disc re-release of an album that I hadn't even realized was getting the "expanded" treatment. What I'd love to see is a big list of "expanded" releases, for browsing purposes -- just so I knew what was out there to consider for purchase.

Some examples... I know practically the entire Elvis Costello catalog is being reissued in radically expanded releases, with full-length bonus discs (I've even got a couple of them). And I understand The Cure are getting the same treatment, with full-length bonus discs accompanying every reissue (I think only their first album is out now with a bonus disc, with others due soon -- or sooner or later, anyway).

Plus there's a whole bunch of discs in the Legacy series from Sony/Columbia, although I bet I'm not even aware of half of what's out there. Plus some other labels have been doing this too - like wasn’t The Cars first album released with a bonus disc of demos??

And haven’t there been some Bob Marley albums released with full-length bonus discs too??

What are your favorites??? -- primarily in terms of the quality and/or "interest factor" of the "bonus" material. (As opposed to just the importance of the original album, absent the bonus material.)

And I suppose a thread like this is just begging for people to complain about substandard "bonus disc" material too, so bring that on too.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Bob Marley "Legend" reissue and didn't think it was too great. It added a couple of songs, but the majority of the bonus material was just some DJ's remixing the tunes already on the CD.

However, The Who's "Live at Leeds" expanded issue is nice becuase it has the entire concert.

Universal has released several of it's record labels' classics as double-disc 'deluxe editions'. For example Marvin Gaye's What's Going On is well worthwhile with a different mix and a live disc. Lots of others; some older, some more recent; some with a slightly less classic status than others. Here's a list: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/featu...9013629-8833530

Skip Spence's OAR.

The recent Pavement reissues have added tonz o' "album-era" performances otherwise only available as B-sides, on EPs, if you happened to tape John Peel's program that night, etc. SLANTED AND ENCHANTED benefits greatly from this approach.

The trick is to put out a release that is genuinely expansive without being drily exhaustive.

I know practically the entire Elvis Costello catalog is being reissued in radically expanded releases, with full-length bonus discs (I've even got a couple of them).

Timely post - I just got Elvis' Imperial Bedroom and Punch the Clock CDs yesterday. I've only listened to the Punch bonus disc and there's a lot of great material on it - live cuts, rehearsal tapes, demos - even a cover of a Yoko Ono song! :wacko: But the best part is that the booklets for each CD are like volumes in a book, with EC telling stories (most of them involving alcohol) about what was going on during the periods that the original albums were recorded and released. Unfortunately, the Armed Forces booklet had a cliffhanger ending with Bebe Buell showing up on EC's London doorstep, and my re-reissue of Get Happy didn't continue the story. The Nashville stories about the Almost Blue recording sessions are great. When EC writes his autobiography, it should be a very entertaining read.

The Legacy edition of Santana's first album is killer. Contains the original album remastered, plus another earlier version of the the first album with extra tracks that was deemed too "jammy" to be released. If that's not enough you also get their complete performance at Woodstock. A really fine document of this early incarnation of the band.

Don't forget the expanded version of the Allman Brother's "Live at Fillmore East"!!

The expanded version of Jimmy Cliff's "The Harder They Come" soundtrack is very good as well, even though the second disc isn't really soundtrack songs, but classic tracks from that era...

Don't forget the expanded version of the Allman Brother's "Live at Fillmore East"!!

Isn't it just a reissue of the earlier Chronicles disc The Fillmore Concerts? Why should anyone upgrade to this one? :huh:

Not exactly. It has Midnight Rider (which first appeared on the Duane Allman anthology), and the performances aren't remixed like they were for the Fillmore Concerts set. Also, for that set the You Don't Love Me and Whipping Post were different takes (or at least parts of them were- I don't remember the details exactly now), and the original album takes are on this Deluxe Edition. I like the Deluxe Edition for the set list (with the exception of Midnight Rider, the tunes are the same as the Fillmore Concerts) and the booklet has some nice pictures that I've never seen before. I am a big, big fan of the ABB, especially with Duane, but I wasn't going to pay full price for this set; I got it free from BMG.

Timely post - I just got Elvis' Imperial Bedroom and Punch the Clock CDs yesterday. I've only listened to the Punch bonus disc and there's a lot of great material on it - live cuts, rehearsal tapes, demos - even a cover of a Yoko Ono song! :wacko: But the best part is that the booklets for each CD are like volumes in a book, with EC telling stories (most of them involving alcohol) about what was going on during the periods that the original albums were recorded and released. Unfortunately, the Armed Forces booklet had a cliffhanger ending with Bebe Buell showing up on EC's London doorstep, and my re-reissue of Get Happy didn't continue the story. The Nashville stories about the Almost Blue recording sessions are great. When EC writes his autobiography, it should be a very entertaining read.

I am looking forward to the reissue of King of America, due in February

Isn't it just a reissue of the earlier Chronicles disc The Fillmore Concerts? Why should anyone upgrade to this one? :huh:

Not exactly. It has Midnight Rider (which first appeared on the Duane Allman anthology), and the performances aren't remixed like they were for the Fillmore Concerts set. Also, for that set the You Don't Love Me and Whipping Post were different takes (or at least parts of them were- I don't remember the details exactly now), and the original album takes are on this Deluxe Edition. I like the Deluxe Edition for the set list (with the exception of Midnight Rider, the tunes are the same as the Fillmore Concerts) and the booklet has some nice pictures that I've never seen before. I am a big, big fan of the ABB, especially with Duane, but I wasn't going to pay full price for this set; I got it free from BMG.

On chronicles "Liz Reed" is pieced together from multiple versions from the Fillmore run. I believe most of the song including Duane's solo is from one of the two 3/13/71 shows. Dickey's solo is lifted from one of the other four performances recorded for the album, and was subsequently mixed into the originally selected 3/13 performance by Tom Dowd.

On chronicles "Liz Reed" is pieced together from multiple versions from the Fillmore run. I believe most of the song including Duane's solo is from one of the two 3/13/71 shows. Dickey's solo is lifted from one of the other four performances recorded for the album, and was subsequently mixed into the originally selected 3/13 performance by Tom Dowd.

yes, the liner notes say that, but over at the ABB's site there has been a huge discussion about this-no believes it. The consensus is that the performance is the same as on the original release, and it's all one performance, not as Dowd (presumably mistakenly) described it. If it is pieced together, I can't tell. It sounds an awful lot like the original released version. But what is correct is that You Don't Love Me and Whipping Post are different performances. The word over at the ABB site is that Dowd had a foggy memory by then (early 90s)- I'm not sure who to believe!

On chronicles "Liz Reed" is pieced together from multiple versions from the Fillmore run.  I believe most of the song including Duane's solo is from one of the two 3/13/71 shows.  Dickey's solo is lifted from one of the other four performances recorded for the album, and was subsequently mixed into the originally selected 3/13 performance by Tom Dowd.

yes, the liner notes say that, but over at the ABB's site there has been a huge discussion about this-no believes it. The consensus is that the performance is the same as on the original release, and it's all one performance, not as Dowd (presumably mistakenly) described it. If it is pieced together, I can't tell. It sounds an awful lot like the original released version. But what is correct is that You Don't Love Me and Whipping Post are different performances. The word over at the ABB site is that Dowd had a foggy memory by then (early 90s)- I'm not sure who to believe!

Weird! I need to do some listening. The original is 12:46 in length. The Chronicles version is 12:59. Not a huge discrepancy, especially for a live album.

I love the James Brown Apollo Volume II (1967) Deluxe Edition very much - I had to get used to it as I knew the LP version in and out but was glad to hear that concert without those many audible edits. That was one I had hoped they would do, and I was not disappointed.

Agree about the jamming quality of the Blind Faith.

Will have to check out the Marvin Gaye.

Aren't the Impulse Coltranes nice jobs?

90125 reissue w/ 6 bonus tracks-- incl. a owner remix, 2 never before released songs, and an early version of it can happen

I just picked this up for the first time about a month ago. Not a double-CD, but the bonus material was pretty nice to have, clocking in at well over 30-minutes (if I remember right).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I have a lot of these "Deluxe Editions". My favorite is Lynyrd Skynyrd's "One More For the Road" which has the concert without the studio overdubs. The only drawback is that they don't include those songs with the original LP mixes. Space maybe?

Another good one is Marley's "Catch a Fire". The bonus material is the LP as originally made by Marley before it was remixed. I still like the material remixed better but it is very interesting to hear it as it was originally intended by the Wailers.

Kevin