2005 Connoisseurs

Late

I would like to see a CONN of Bobby Hutcherson's difficult HEAD ON album including the UNISSUED tracks from the same sessions.

Bobby Hutcherson - Harold Land Orchestra

Oscar Brashear (tp, flh) George Bohanon (tb) Willie Ruff (frh) Fred Jackson (picc) Harold Land (ts, fl) Delbert Hill, Charles Owens, Herman Riley, Ernie Watts (reeds) Bobby Hutcherson (vib, mar) Todd Cochran (p, arr) William Henderson (el-p) Reggie Johnson, James Leary (b) Leon "Ndugu" Chancler, Nesbert "Stix" Hooper, Woody Theus (d) Donald Smith (vo) a.o.

Los Angeles, CA, July 1 & 3, 1971

At the Source: Ashes and Rust / Eucalyptus / Obsidian

BN BST 84376

Many Thousands Gone

BN BST 84376

Mtume

BN BST 84376

Clockwork of the Spirits

BN BST 84376

* Bobby Hutcherson - Head on (BN BST 84376)

same personnel

Los Angeles, CA, July 2, 1971

Togo Land

BN unissued

Jonathan

BN unissued

same personnel

Los Angeles, CA, July 3, 1971

Hey Harold

BN unissued

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And just for the record, you don't need any special type of PC or Software to copy these so called "Copy Controlled" CDs.

A friend of mine simply uses Windows 98 and a coorespndingly old version of WinOnCD - no problems with burning copy controlled CDs of any kind.

I would like to see a CONN of Bobby Hutcherson's difficult HEAD ON album including the UNISSUED tracks from the same sessions.

Hasn't Mosaic said that this material is scheduled for a future Mosaic Select box? I could have sworn someone posted this recently.

Kevin

I thought I'd only read that Mosaic was interested in the idea, but that since Harold Land's MAINSTREAM material was off-limits --- that without those MAINSTREAM sessions, the project was (much?) less likely.

Or maybe, and this memory is pretty foggy, was there some sort of other Hutcherson 70's SELECT line-up that was talked about (with info from Mosaic???), that was kind of a scatter-shot representation of some of Bobby's 70's material?? Could have just been a suggestion from somebody on the board, though.

I'm not at all familiar with the HEAD ON material. What do others here think of it?? Sangry?? Kevin?? Anybody else??

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Guest akanalog

i have HEAD ON on vinyl. it is ok. doesn't do much for me either way. i am generally not a fan of "out" stuff and this is definitely floaty stuff. i mean i don't like HAPPENINGS because i find "the omen" too much for me. and COMPONENTS-the second half isn't something i enjoy to listen to.

i was especially disappointed because i saw bayete plays on HEAD ON so i was expecting something different. especially given the time period.

yeah - HEAD ON is pretty free stuff... not my fave Hutcherson by any means but I'd still love to hear the unissued tracks.

All the stuff that Hutcherson recorded but that wasn't released at the time has turned out to be superb: MEDINA-PATTERNS-SPIRAL-OBLIQUE are all classics IMO.

I was also really surprised at the quality of the previously unissued FUNK tracks from a Dec' 1971 Hutcherson session. 3 tracks came out on Blue Note comps in the UK - not sure if they have ever been issued in the US. I was expecting some weak innappropriate funk on the level of the NATURAL ILLUSION album as Cuscuna had described them to me from memory as a 'trainwreck' but 2 tracks: covers of BROTHER RAP and INNER CITY BLUES are actually pretty solid and definitely worth having - the cover of FAMILY AFFAIR is less successful IMO but still OK. They work cos Hutcherson brings his serious no-nonsense approach to them... they have great drums and guitar work too... I was pleasantly surprised so would like to hear the rest of the session.

Shame the Mainstream stuff is off-limits - I love ODE TO ANGELA and the title track from A NEW SHADE OF BLUE and some of CHOMA. THE PEACE-MAKER on Cadet is another fave Hutcherson/Land pairing too...

if they do compile a MOSAIC SELECT I hope they include the Japanese only INNER GLOW from '75.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, I was told the October Connoisseur list was finalized.

For October 2005:

Don Cherry - Where Is Brooklyn? - 5 tracks

Booker Ervin - Tex Book Tenor - 5 tracks

Andrew Hill - Andrew!!! - 8 tracks

Elmo Hope - Trio and Quintet - 20 tracks

Jackie McLean - Consequence - 6 tracks

Ike Quebec - The Complete 45 Sessions (2 CDs) - 26 tracks

Of course, until the catalog numbers are added, it isn't a "done deal".

I don't know why the Kenny Cox two-fer didn't make the cut. I'll ask.

The Elmo Hope is a weird one. Who thought this was a candidate? I never heard anyone asking about this one. It caught me off guard. Just goes to show what some people ask them for. I guess the people requesting this title missed out the other two times it was out?

BTW, I think "Tex Book Tenor" is the official title they're choosing for this title, which was previously issued in the LP double "Back From the Gig". I suppose it's better than "Gichi" or "In a Capricornian Way". :)

Kevin

:tup Excellent stuff !

I think quite a few people have mentioned the Elmo Hope Quintet sides so this one is going to make a fair number of people happy.

I'm delighted to see the 'Quebec 45s' on the list. That's one OOP Mosaic I can now forget about.

I, for one, love the Elmo Hope; pretty nice batch!!!

m-

That's quite a bunch of new covers they're gonna hafta design, ain't it??

By my count, the following three titles will all need new designs, right???

Booker Ervin - Tex Book Tenor - 5 tracks

Jackie McLean - Consequence - 6 tracks

Ike Quebec - The Complete 45 Sessions (2 CDs) - 26 tracks

Last time around, they could only do one Conn that needed new cover art ("Dance With Death"), because of the expense involved (and you might recall, that's why the Booker Ervin got pushed out another year -- they couldn't afford two new covers in the same batch/year).

Have I got that right?? -- these three (above) will all need new covers, and the other three won't -- correct??

I'm in a bit of a rush at the moment -- can somebody post images of the covers of the other three?? Thanks!!!!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

The Elmo Hope is a weird one. Who thought this was a candidate? I never heard anyone asking about this one. It caught me off guard. Just goes to show what some people ask them for. I guess the people requesting this title missed out the other two times it was out?

Pardon, but I'm rather uninformed about quite a few BN titles that are pre-1955.

Have either or both of these Elmo Hope titles been on CD before?? If so, where?? Can't imagine in the U.S. - otherwise there's no chance they'd be Conns (or else this'd be the first Conn ever that'd been released stateside before).

I'm guessing they've been out in Japan before.

Edited by Rooster_Ties