2005 Connoisseurs

Late

Any early words on what we might see reissued in October? I'm still digging Dance With Death, and don't want to jump the gun too prematurely, but the thought of the next batch did cross my mind, especially because ... now that Mosaic Selects (as in the case of Hill) are reissuing albums that only had a chance of reissue as a Connoisseur earlier, all future Connoisseurs on the horizon ought to be interesting, or at least surprising.

The Booker Ervin unreleased session looks more likely. And maybe Where is Brooklyn? I doubt my own personal wish for Don Ellis' Essence on Pacific Jazz would make it as a Connoisseur, but I suppose the option lingers on.

Given the current milieu of EMI, and that some Blue Note titles are now being leased to Water, what seem like reasonable candidates?

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Booker Evin date with Woody would seem to be nearly a lock (best known as half of BACK FROM THE GIG) -- since we damn near got it in Oct. 2004, 'cept they couldn't afford to do a new cover for both it, and Dance With Death.

Might we perhaps see COMPULSION?? - though that would mean three Hill conns in as many years, plus the Select, plus the Black Fire RVG last year -- so maybe that's bordering on market saturation. (Whooda ever thunk there'ed be a "market saturation" possibility with Andrew Hill!!! :wacko: )

Dare I even mention NATURAL ESSENCE?? - with THE TRAINWRECK tacked on for good measure??? :ph34r:

I'd say CONTRASTS, except three Larry Young conns in three years seems pretty unlikely too (probably as unlikely as three Andrew Hill conns in three years).

Maybe SMITHVILLE?? Been ages since the last Louis Smith conn, so why not?? Seems like a pretty reasonable and/or "logical" choice.

And come to think of it, it's been ages since the last two Don Cherry conns, so maybe there's a good chance of seeing WHERE IS BROOKLYN. In fact, I'd say it's maybe just as likely as BACK FROM THE GIG. (And the Cherry Mosaic's been OOP for some time too.)

And how about IT'S TIME, since it's been a bit since Jackie had a conn, and since this is one of the last remaining classic BN dates with Charles Tolliver that hasn't ever been available (domestically) as a disc all unto itself (though it was part of the Mclean Mosaic).

Might we perhaps see COMPULSION?? - though that would mean three Hill conns in as many years, plus the Select, plus the Black Fire RVG last year -- so maybe that's bordering on market saturation. (Whooda ever thunk there'ed be a "market saturation" possibility with Andrew Hill!!! :wacko: )

Or what about ANDREW!!! ?

I'd also really like to finally hear Bobby Hutcherson's Happenings.

Guy

And come to think of it, it's been ages since the last two Don Cherry conns, so maybe there's a good chance of seeing WHERE IS BROOKLYN. In fact, I'd say it's maybe just as likely as BACK FROM THE GIG. (And the Cherry Mosaic's been OOP for some time too.)

:tup:tup:tup:party::party::party::party:

and Kevin Bresnahan!

:P

Maybe it's time for people named "Connoisseur Series" to start pulling their weight as well... ;)

Guy

Okay Guy.

I'll let all you guys know what's coming if you let us know the new burgers coming out from McDonalds next year.

;)

Edited by connoisseur series500

I did get a preliminary list of June RVGs but I haven't been told that it's OK to post it yet. None of the titles mentioned here are in that RVG list. I did ask why he hasn't done "Where Is Brooklyn" and he replied that he was planning to make that a Connoisseur release.

Later,

Kevin

Thanks for posting, Kevin.

Wheww! Took some pressure off me!

:eye::eye:

How about the Kenny Cox 2-fer?

I think that would make an interesting Connoisseur, too. (Have never heard the records, though.) If not, maybe Water will lease those tapes.

Though I already have it on the Mosaic, Elvin Jones' The Ulitmate might be interesting ... though Jones evidently doesn't sell well — so maybe not.

Any interesting possibilities from the late 60's, early 70's?

(I'd be all over an Art Hodes Connoisseur reissue, by the way, but that doesn't seem too likely.)

I did get a preliminary list of June RVGs but I haven't been told that it's OK to post it yet

What, are you litte boy that needs permission from the grown ups?

Everybody's doing it.

If I knew the June RVGs, I would tell you.

Just whisper it. I won't tell anyone.

(are any these tactics weakening your defenses?)