2005 Connoisseurs

Late

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Cuscuna sends me titles and he'll either say, "These are OK to post," or he'll say, "Don't post these yet." These RVGs titles came into my E-mail box with a "hold off on posting" note. The weird thing is that the list included catalog numbers, usually a sign that it's pretty firmed up.

In looking at the list, I have to wonder if Michael isn't trying to get a couple of changes. When I asked why one title was on the list because I thought it was a poor seller, he responded something like, "These titles were already done for the Japanese series." Maybe US BN doesn't want to spend the dough to get RVG to do new titles? I don't know.

I hope to get the OK early next week.

BTW, in the last E-mail I got from him, he said, "Starting to plan the next Connoisseur series. Get your dibs in now."

Later,

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

Connoiseur requests (assuming that's what he means by 'get your dibs in now'):

Larry Young: Heaven And Earth

Larry Young: Contrasts

Don Cherry: Where Is Brooklyn?

Jackie McLean: Hipnosis (fat chance, I know)

Andrew Hill: Andrew!!!

Andrew Hill: Compulsion!

Andrew Hill 2/10/65

Andrew Hill 3/7/66

Booker Ervin (with Woody Shaw)

Lonnie Smith (pre-Dr.): Turning Point

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Michael Cuscuna sends me titles and he'll either say, "These are OK to post," or he'll say, "Don't post these yet." These RVGs titles came into my E-mail box with a "hold off on posting" note. The weird thing is that the list included catalog numbers, usually a sign that it's pretty firmed up.

Ah-ha...so maybe if you could post the last two digits of the catalog numbers we can play a fun game of guess the title! :o

OK, here's my wish "dibs" list. I'll max it out at six, since that's usually the current number of Connoisseurs that sees reissue.

• Kenny Cox: Introducing - Multidirection

• Don Ellis: Essence (Pacific Jazz)

• Don Cherry: Where is Brooklyn?

• Booker Ervin: unreleased Blue Note session

• Ike Quebec: Complete Blue Note 45s Recordings

• Dexter Gordon: Landslide

A mixed lot here, but perhaps a variety of names (Cox as "unrecognized"; Gordon as "recognized") would make a more plausible list than if all the names were "unrecognized." Additionally, it would be great to see some titles make their first appearance on compact disc (as opposed to those that were originally part of a Mosaic box).

jeremy steig.....wayfaring stranger

kenny cox.........introducing/multidirection

booker ervin.....unissued session

jimmy smith......confirmation

and lets finish the blue note 10" connoisseur series

with the last four recordings owned by bn.

best of the west vol 1/vol 2

lou mecca/urbie green

Edited by mike casinghino

So far it hasn't happened yet but...

...anyone who (in this thread) refers to the unissued 1968 Booker Ervin session with Woody Shaw as Back From The Gig will be forced to listen to Blood On The Fields for 24 hours straight without eating, sleeping or bathroom breaks. I know this may violate the Geneva convention, but the punishment fits the crime :)

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

A Date with Jimmy Smith Vols 1&2 and Jimmy Smith at the Organ Vols 1&2 would both make fine single-disc Conns.

If you refer to Blue Note LPs 1512, 1514 and 1525 all titled "A new sound, a new star, Jimmy Smith at the organ: These were on a double CD in 1997 in the Doubletime series:

B000005H9S.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

A Date with Jimmy Smith Vols 1&2 and Jimmy Smith at the Organ Vols 1&2 would both make fine single-disc Conns.

If you refer to Blue Note LPs 1512, 1514 and 1525 all titled "A new sound, a new star, Jimmy Smith at the organ: These were on a double CD in 1997 in the Doubletime series:

Nope, I've got that one too (thanks Erik!). JS at the Organ with Blakey, Burrell and Donaldson was part of the Smith Feb '57 Mosaic, but otherwise has only been out on disc in Japan.

Edited by sjarrell