2005 Connoisseurs

Late

A Date with Jimmy Smith Vols 1&2 and Jimmy Smith at the Organ Vols 1&2 would both make fine single-disc Conns.

If you refer to Blue Note LPs 1512, 1514 and 1525 all titled "A new sound, a new star, Jimmy Smith at the organ: These were on a double CD in 1997 in the Doubletime series:

Nope, I've got that one too (thanks Erik!). JS at the Organ with Blakey, Burrell and Donaldson was part of the Smith Feb '58 Mosaic, but otherwise has only been out on disc in Japan.

Jimmy Smith at the Organ Vol. 3 is one of the ones that they're thinking about for the June RVGs.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far it hasn't happened yet but...

...anyone who refers to the unissued 1968 Booker Ervin session with Woody Shaw as Back From The Gig will be forced to listen to Blood On The Fields for 24 hours straight without eating, sleeping or bathroom breaks. I know this may violate the Geneva convention, but the punishment fits the crime :)

Bertrand.

I think Alberto Gonzalez covered that in his memorandums, and it's OK :P;):g

OK, here's my wish "dibs" list. I'll max it out at six, since that's usually the current number of Connoisseurs that sees reissue.

• Kenny Cox: Introducing - Multidirection

• Don Ellis: Essence (Pacific Jazz)

• Don Cherry: Where is Brooklyn?

• Booker Ervin: unreleased Blue Note session

• Ike Quebec: Complete Blue Note 45s Recordings

• Dexter Gordon: Landslide

A mixed lot here, but perhaps a variety of names (Cox as "unrecognized"; Gordon as "recognized") would make a more plausible list than if all the names were "unrecognized." Additionally, it would be great to see some titles make their first appearance on compact disc (as opposed to those that were originally part of a Mosaic box).

I don't need the Dexter Gordon, but everything else on this list would be FINE BY ME!

Give me these four and finish the 10" Conn series and I'll be a VERY HAPPY CAT!

:g :rsmile: :g :rsmile: :g

BTW, in the last E-mail I got from him, he said, "Starting to plan the next Connoisseur series. Get your dibs in now."

Kevin,

Do you want to forward the information here (at least suggested titles) to Cuscuna? Let us know how we might facilitate giving our "dibs" a voice.

Thanks!

BTW, in the last E-mail I got from him, he said, "Starting to plan the next Connoisseur series. Get your dibs in now."

Kevin,

Do you want to forward the information here (at least suggested titles) to Cuscuna? Let us know how we might facilitate giving our "dibs" a voice.

Thanks!

Sure, I do it all the time. Keep 'em coming.

I was going to try to give him a call today but with the storm...

Later,

Kevin

Kevin, What about that Land 'Take Aim'? The playing is nice...but we've all been listening to an incredibly thin sounding vinyl burn that might not exactly get eyeryone's juices flowing. Clearly the sound quality would be enhanced by an order of magnitude once they flipped into re-master mode. They sure worked the magic on 'The Flip'...and that was thin sounding as it gets imo. Time for Cuscuna to free Amos Trice!! :g

Just to be sure, is the "Booker Ervin: unreleased Blue Note session" that people keep talking about, the same date with Woody Shaw that was released as a 2-fer in the 70's (and name of which I dare not speak)???

Anyone who (in this thread) refers to the unissued 1968 Booker Ervin session with Woody Shaw as Back From The Gig will be forced to listen to Blood On The Fields for 24 hours straight without eating, sleeping or bathroom breaks.  I know this may violate the Geneva Convention, but the punishment fits the crime :)

Bertrand.

Or is there some other as-yet-still-unreleased Booker Ervin session that people are referring to??

(Wouldn't want to take any chances --- we are talking "Blood On The Fields" here. :P )

That's the one.

You may refer to the two-fer itself by the name Back From The Gig, because that's what it was called. The crime is to refer to the unissued session itself (i.e. LP # 2 of the two-fer) by that name, since the name only applies to the first session, not the second.

The reason it's a point of contention is because as a result of people using this title to describe the second session, newbie posters on board krypton were getting hopelessly confused and asking such questions as: 'WOW. According to the AMG, Booker Ervin has an unissued BN session with Horace Parlan and Grant Green and Woody Shaw!'.

Bertrand.

Kevin, What about that Land 'Take Aim'? The playing is nice...but we've all been listening to an incredibly thin sounding vinyl burn that might not exactly get eyeryone's juices flowing. Clearly the sound quality would be enhanced by an order of magnitude once they flipped into re-master mode. They sure worked the magic on 'The Flip'...and that was thin sounding as it gets imo. Time for Cuscuna to free Amos Trice!! :g

Great choice!!!

Jimmy Smith at the Organ Vol. 3 is one of the ones that they're thinking about for the June RVGs.

That being these sessions?(Too many "at the Organ"s. Confusion was bound to ensue!):

Jimmy Smith Trio

Jimmy Smith (org) Thornel Schwartz (g) Donald Bailey (d)

VGS, Hackensack, NJ, June 17, 1956

tk.2 Willow Weep for Me BN BLP 1525

All the Things You Are rejected

tk.11 Jamey BN CDP 7243 8 57191 2

tk.13 My Funny Valentine -

tk.14 Autumn Leaves BN BLP 1525

* The Incredible / Jimmy Smith at the Organ, Vol. 3 (BN BLP 1525)

* A New Sound - A New Star / Jimmy Smith (BN CDP 7243 8 57191 2)

Jimmy Smith Trio

same personnel

VGS, Hackensack, NJ, June 18, 1956

tk.16 Fiddlin' the Minors BN BLP 1525

tk.18 Lover Come Back to Me -

tk.19 Well, You Needn't -

tk.20 I Cover the Waterfront -

tk.21 I Can't Give You Anything But Love BN [J] K18P 9280

tk.24 Judo Mambo BN BLP 1525

tk.25 Slightly Monkish BN CDP 7243 8 57191 2

* The Incredible / Jimmy Smith at the Organ, Vol. 3 (BN BLP 1525)

* The Singles / Jimmy Smith (BN [J] K18P 9280)

* A New Sound - A New Star / Jimmy Smith (BN CDP 7243 8 57191 2)

How about Don Grolnick? I still remember having that BN two-fer in my hands at Tower Records and decidiing that $24.99 was more ransom than reasonable. Bad dog. I believe this was a compilation of Grolnick's two BN releases, "Weaver of Dreams" and "Nighttown", the former, a piano trio and the latter, a larger group featuring Joe Lovano, Dave Holland and Randy Brecker. Seems to me this is what the Connoisseur Series is all about.

Up over and out.

How about Don Grolnick? I still remember having that BN two-fer in my hands at Tower Records and decidiing that $24.99 was more ransom than reasonable. Bad dog. I believe this was a compilation of Grolnick's two BN releases, "Weaver of Dreams" and "Nighttown", the former, a piano trio and the latter, a larger group featuring Joe Lovano, Dave Holland and Randy Brecker. Seems to me this is what the Connoisseur Series is all about.

Up over and out.

The Don Grolnick two-fer was his complete output for BN which consisted of two septet dates that produced "Weaver of Dreams" and Nighttown". It was not a compilation, they were complete. $24.99 was list price, which I thought was pretty good for two complete albums. I paid less, maybe $19, but no matter, it wasn't a "ransom". If I had bought these two sessions by themselves when they came out, I would have paid a lot more than this.

I rather doubt these would be considered for reissue again. They've been out twice and not sold too well. FWIW, I see that two-fer in the used bins around Boston often. I wouldn't consider that to be hard-to-find.

Later,

Kevin

Yeah, that Hope 'New Faces-New Sounds' JRVG sounds pretty sweet. I think they should put out a 'New Faces-New Sounds' theme two-fer Conn w/the Elmo Hope Trio, Jutta Hipp Quintet and Wynton Kelly. I believe they'd all fit on there nicely. The only other 'New Faces..' Conn one was the Drew & McGhee, right?

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

I believe this was a compilation of Grolnick's two BN releases, "Weaver of Dreams" and "Nighttown", the former, a piano trio and the latter, a larger group featuring Joe Lovano, Dave Holland and Randy Brecker. 

Both sides feature groups with similar instrumentation- trumpet (Brecker), trombone (Turre or Barry Rogers), tenor (Brecker or Lovano), bass clarinet (Mintzer or Marty Erlich), piano (Grolnick), bass (Holland) and drums (Erskine or Bill Stewart).

Sorry to hear these didn't sell well. I enjoyed them both- engaging tunes and some creative arrangements.

Yeah, that Hope 'New Faces-New Sounds' JRVG sounds pretty sweet. I think they should put out a 'New Faces-New Sounds' theme two-fer Conn w/the Elmo Hope Trio, Jutta Hipp Quintet and Wynton Kelly. I believe they'd all fit on there nicely. The only other 'New Faces..' Conn one was the Drew & McGhee, right?

I think that's a great idea. I love the McGhee/Farlow/Drew discs.

Landslide needs to show up filling out an RVG'd Clubhouse.

Agreed. The original reissue of Clubhouse on disc sounds pretty bad. (It suffers from the same "problem" that the initial reissue of The Soothsayer did — some weird distortion on higher horn notes.) Cool cover, though!