2005 Connoisseurs

Late

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Washington's Natural Essence is way overdue for US release as well.

Also agreed. It does seem a "natural" fit for the Connoisseur series. Didn't Cuscuna, at one time, say that maybe two tracks from The Trainwreck were at least semi-worthy of reissue? They could be tacked on to the end of Natural Essence, and I don't think anyone would complain. I already have the TOCJ, but would probably end up shelling out for a Connoisseur edition if it had some kind of additional music.

I'm convinced from my own conversation with Michael Cuscuna and from reports of others that the Washington unissued session will NEVER be released while he holds the reigns of the reissue department.

It's a real real shame, but I don't believe it will be released in part or in total til the next vault administrator comes along.

Speaking of BN reissues, slightly off-topic: Where are the RVGs of the first 6 Lee Morgans? I'm sure Candy still moves okay in its present form, but the rest are Mosaic and Japan only, right? And RVG has remastered them all for the Japanese market, hasn't he?

Is somebody thinkin' the kids don't dig Mogie? :blink:

Edited by sjarrell

I put in our requests. We'll see what happens. Some notes:

The Kenny Cox material wouldn't fit onto one CD without dropping one tune. He might do that but then he figures the complaints would start rolling in for that one tune. He doesn't think Cox justifies a double because doubles carry a higher list price that many people won't spend.

Frank Foster's "Manhattan Fever" isn't his favorite... nor mine, truth be told. It's pretty far down the list.

Andrew Hill's fans seem to really want "Andrew!!!". That one might make the list.

He was intrigued by a two-fer of Quebec's 45 sessions. Once again, two-fers typically don't sell well.

He will look into doing Tyrone Washington's "Natural Essence" with any extra material from the "trainwreck" session. I told him he had to call it "The Trainwreck Session" in his notes or no one would know what session he was talking about.

Booker Ervin's unissued session in on the short list as is Cherry's "Where Is Brooklyn". Young's "Contrasts" seems to be a possibility too.

If I hear back with anything, I'll let you know.

Oh yeah, one more thing... there's a chance they might license out a couple of PJ titles like the Pepper Adams and Ellis sessions. This same (un-named) label is also trying to license some of Bobby Watson's later material.

Later,

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

Oh yeah, one more thing... there's a chance they might license out a couple of PJ titles like the Pepper Adams and Ellis sessions.

... do you mean to Water? That would be great. Thanks for being our liaison Kevin. As far as I'm concerned, the more Hill titles we see as Connoisseurs, the better! (Just maybe a kind nudge to let Malcolm handle the controls on those. ;) )

I can see how Cuscuna would want to steer away from two-fers, especially after the Wilkerson and Braith sets. Did the Criss or Turrentine (or Byrd Transition) two-fers sell well? I'm glad to have all those.

Oh yeah, one more thing... there's a chance they might license out a couple of PJ titles like the Pepper Adams and Ellis sessions.

... do you mean to Water? That would be great. Thanks for being our liaison Kevin.

Nope, not Water. The label is not yet official... maybe it's one of us guys? Is Chuck starting up a new label? :)

Truth be told, I didn't recognize the name of the person who's trying to start up a label but if it happens, I'll certainly be buying some of their reissues if they can get these PJ sessions. Pepper Adams' "Critics Choice" is a good one.

Later,

Kevin

I can see how Cuscuna would want to steer away from two-fers, especially after the Wilkerson and Braith sets. Did the Criss or Turrentine (or Byrd Transition) two-fers sell well? I'm glad to have all those.

I can understand that too, but I really would love to have those Quebec sessions. I have a CDr of the set, but I'd love to have the "real thing."

If a two-fer is out, then what about a Volume 1 and Volume 2 of the Quebec 45 Sessions?

Blue Note released a bunch of multiple volume albums back in the day...

Thanks for the info, Kevin! :tup

He will look into doing Tyrone Washington's "Natural Essence" with any extra material from the "trainwreck" session. I told him he had to call it "The Trainwreck Session" in his notes or no one would know what session he was talking about.

:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

Everybody, please e-mail Michael at the Mosaic address, and let's all tell him how much we want to hear The Trainwreck session. :tup:tup

Can't tell you how much I'd love to hear this material -- if it turns out to be of value and merits release. FYI, here's the most info we've ever been able to get about it, a "review" of sorts. This quote (below) comes from this thread on AAJ...

Discussing the unreleased Blue Note stuff is a bit tricky. I've been lucky enough to hear a lot of stuff but I don't exactly know what the etiquette is about sharing it with others. I'll mention a few but I don't want to create a shit storm but it seems that not many are reading this thread so I'll take a chance.

OK, the Tyrone Washington trainwreck date is not so bad. It is kind of out there though there are tunes, some interesting ones in fact. Herbie Hancock plays great on it and is very experimental at times. Tyrone sounds most like Sam Rivers to me on this date and the date has elements of a Sam Rivers date or perhaps a little Andrew Hill with Chick Corea (with Bennie Maupin)"Is" thrown in. The real problem to me is it seems that Herbie Lewis and Jack DeJohnette never really hook up, especially on the medium tempo tunes. One tune is almost completetly free with a section of what can only be described as vocal "sounds" in a sort of deep you're a mean one Mr. Grinch voice. Stangely there is no vocal interlude on the second take, I guess that was a bit much for Alfred. There is some worthy stuff here but it couldn't be released on it's own. I guess you could put a few bonus tracks on Natural Essence.

:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

Everybody, please e-mail Michael at the Mosaic address, and let's all tell him how much we want to hear The Trainwreck session. :tup:tup

I'd prefer the Quebec 2-fer, as I've already got "Natural Essence."

Either would be good with me. If Natural Essence is trainwreck-less, however, I'd rather have the Quebec. Still, either will be great to have out. My feeling is that we're lucky to see these titles even garnering reissue consideration. They can't sell too well in the larger scope of things, but Cuscuna always pulls through for us in one way or another. Thank goodness we have this series! :tup

Where Is Brooklyn?!!!

Where Is Brooklyn?!!!

Where Is Brooklyn?!!!

Where Is Brooklyn?!!!

Where Is Brooklyn?!!!

Where Is Brooklyn?!!!xyxthumbs.gif

Right on!

I would add only on thing to that list:

Where Is Brooklyn?

map.jpg

Well, if you take the GW (George Washington) and get off on the Major Deegan and follow that to the Triboro Bridge, then get off at 278, that should take you there. Any questions?