Vinyl LP Storage

cool_blue

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any good, as deep as the width of the records, WOOD bookcase, with adjustable shelves works well. Be careful that the bookcase is not too long. If it is, the weight of the records will bow the shelves. Better to get two 3-4 ft. long ones than one six ft, one. Mine are 25" high and 35" long. You can stack another one on top of the first, if space is a problem. Then, if you have a lot of records, just do it again, next to the first two.

Also, I have lightweight, cardboard dividers, the same dimentions as the record covers, which are alphabetized with little tabs, that I slip between the records to make finding a particular record easier. [compilations are in the "C" section, before the artists whose names start with "C".] Works well and the whole thing is inexpensive.

Edited by patricia

Anyone using IKEA Expedit Bookcase ??

Is it sturdy enough??

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/serv...ats=10104*10173

or looking for similiar alternatives

although I cannot see anything else getting close to this price

I note that these shelves are particleboard. Unless it's the heaviest guage, it might not hold up to the weight of LP records, and might bow. Records are amazingly heavy. Ever lift a full moving box of them :rolleyes: B-)

Anyone using IKEA Expedit Bookcase ??

Is it sturdy enough??

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/serv...ats=10104*10173

or looking for similiar alternatives

although I cannot see anything else getting close to this price

I note that these shelves are particleboard. Unless it's the heaviest guage, it might not hold up to the weight of LP records, and might bow. Records are amazingly heavy. Ever lift a full moving box of them :rolleyes: B-)

That's why it's a good idea, though IKEA has a nice bookcase, to look for OLD bookshelves with solid wood shelves, to avoid the bowing problem. Particle board is not nearly as solid as vintage wooden bookshelves are. If you want a more modern look, you can sand them and paint or varnish-stain them. Then you REALLY have nice shelves which will last longer than you will. :blink:

Did you know that milk crates were sized slightly smaller recently because vinyl fiends like us were stealing them? They are now just slightly too small. They used to be exactly the right size to fit LPs and you could stack them three or four high. So, I guess if you can still find old ones, you might want to try them.

Yo, why would they make them smaller? So now, we can bring them home to our homes, and find out they don't fit, then none of us are happy. Either way, who ever we stoll the crates from still don't have them. It's not like I carry my vinyls in my pocket, to see if it fits when (if) I were to, "take one home with me." ;)

Yo, why would they make them smaller? So now, we can bring them home to our homes, and find out they don't fit, then none of us are happy. Either way, who ever we stoll the crates from still don't have them. It's not like I carry my vinyls in my pocket, to see if it fits when (if) I were to, "take one home with me."  ;)

Jazzcat, when I was in college, EVERYBODY knew that milk crates were perfect for LPs and they ALL stole them. Grocery stores used to just leave them outside their back doors for the dairy to retrieve and they were scooped up by students by the hundreds!!!

It was so widespread that the milk dudes actually suffered significant impact on their bottom line, because those crates were expensive to lose. Who knew that the humble milk crate would be, shall we say, "re-cycleable"?? I still see the old ones in vintage record stores, but used as bins for LPs. They don't stack them.

Edited by patricia

I guess now, everyone just keeps shoe boxes for cd's. I can still see crates out back behind Path Mark.

OK JazzCat, now's your chance. Get your tapemeasure and measure your record covers. Then, allow about and inch on the top and hustle your buttocks down to Path Mark. Measure the crates to make sure that they are the older, bigger ones. If they are, snap a couple or so up, if the coast is clear.

Then, run like the wind and Godspeed. :blink:

Edited by patricia

I use 'cube' units (4 partitions per unit) from a neat store over here called Habitat. They are perfectly sized to take LPs and come in beech and oak-faced laminate. As the collection increases ( ;) ) you can then add more units as you require until your rooms are totally taken over. They look particularly good with the Mosaic boxes in-situ.

Edited by sidewinder

The easy way to avoid bowing of particle board shelves is to cut some 2"x12" (or 10") hardwood to fit the distance between shelves and then place it between each shelf. Line them all up vertically so the weight distribution is consistent, and you're good to go. Been doing this for years. It works, it's cheap, and you get to play with tools, just like Bob the Builder. You lose a little bit of horizontal space, but big whoop.