Vinyl LP Storage

cool_blue

So they would be say the size of a record sleeve, but 1" thick ?

Would you just lay them in on the sides or the middle of the cube, would they be fastened in any way ?

That's right. Center them in the middle of the shelf, or if it's a REALLY long shelf, use two and divide it into thirds.

No need to fasten them if the shelves above are full. Gravity takes care of that.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first LP rack was self-made from chipboard, even on six wheels, but the damn thing was so heavy it didn't move - 3 rows 7 ft. wide. Of course they bent after a while.

After I moved in here I got me shelves from Lundia, another Scandinavian brand IKEA copied their Ivar line from - they even made a line 35 cm deep (14 inches) that was ideal for stacking LPs - but they stopped making that size after LPs were no longer fashionable for the masses. Back then they asked me for a photo for other customers to prove they wouldn't bend. They have a smaller size that's nice for CDs, but they are not cheap, although their system is extremely flexible.

I have a mix of theirs and selfmade racks. But all is solid wood.

At just 12 inches in height, y'all are crushing your jackets -- which are standard 12 and 1/4 inches. (I cut my mid-shelf inserts at 13 and 1/2 inches.)

12" in depth, not height.

Height is cut to fit the distance between empty shelves, which in my case is 13 1/4". Headroom enough to stash a lead plate or two when the x-ray machine's not being used.

... and what you save on dog food goes into the collection?

It's funny how that goes... I purchased 1-2 on my own and they've multiplied since. Gifts from family, friends, co-workers... I guess it could have started with the old RSO Pig wearing sunglasses instead of Nipper.

• 3 years later...

Can someone verify the dimensions of this Ikea Expedit bookshelf?

59528_PE165419_S4.jpg

Thanks for that. I need an extra set of shelves for 'deep storage' of stuff, this looks as if it will do the job. Looks like Ikea have a 21% off sale in the UK this Saturday so I'll call by. The UK site also mixes up the dimensions.

I have a double sized one of those for books.

Not as hard for my mate and I to put together as some Ikea stuff.

For records, I'd prefer one with a back to it.

MG

Nice thread, especially as I am in a similar fix right now.

I need to expand my storage space for both my CDs and my 78s (10in records) and had hoped IKEA had something affordable and sturdy (I know what they have in wooden-color finish would match what I have in my "music room"). So I need something with flexible storage shelf heights (reduced height on the upper shelves where the CDs are to go, and a bit more than 10in on the lower shelves where the 78s are to go). However, overall height would be limited to not more than 1 meter sharp. Would I have to settle on the lower version of the BILLY racks (which would just a bit too high, though, for the space I have available). Haven't found anything in the IKEA catalog or in the shop - isn't there anything flexible as far as compartmenting goes or did I overlook something?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Good point. Worth thinking about then !

Yes - hardboard is perfectly adequate - you're not going to BASH those LPs back into the racks, are you?

However, the front and rear edges of the shelves are not quite flush with the frame of the unit; they're about a sixteenth of an inch shorter at front and back. This probably won't make any difference if you use hardboard.

MG

I got one of my neighbours to meke me some LP racks, back in the early eighties, when he was on the dole.

This is the main rack - (first try to post from Photobucket)

MainLPrack.jpg

Here's the rack supoprting the lo-fi :)

MoreLPs.jpg

As you see, it does for all kinds of other stuff, including 78s.

Now, did that work?

Yes, but my hand must have been shaky when I took the second pic :)

MG

MG

After a most unpleasant experience yesterday in the Bristol IKEA queuing for miles at Junction 2 of M38 and then avoiding manic Bristol area idiot parents-posessed-with-killer pushchairs (why do they impose that place on their poor babies? ;)) I got hold of pretty well of their last birch finish 1.49x1.49m Expedit shelf at 21% off (I earned it). The good news is that now assembled it does the job brilliantly and my LP and box storage issues are now history. Adding their 32" x 32" wicker baskets to the bottom shelf also softens the look nicely. After putting this one in the upstairs study I think I'll add another into one of the bedrooms. :tup

Looks like it is OK too without need for backing board. You can even push the LPs in to each cube to aford a bit of protection against any sunlight coming in.

Edited by sidewinder

MG

After a most unpleasant experience yesterday in the Bristol IKEA queuing for miles at Junction 2 of M38 and then avoiding manic Bristol area idiot parents-posessed-with-killer pushchairs (why do they impose that place on their poor babies? ;)) I got hold of pretty well of their last birch finish 1.49x1.49m Expedit shelf at 21% off (I earned it). The good news is that now assembled it does the job brilliantly and my LP and box storage issues are now history. Adding their 32" x 32" wicker baskets to the bottom shelf also softens the look nicely. After putting this one in the upstairs study I think I'll add another into one of the bedrooms. :tup

Looks like it is OK too without need for backing board. You can even push the LPs in to each cube to aford a bit of protection against any sunlight coming in.

Ikea's crowd in the week end is one of the worst effect of globalization, just after global warming.

Ikea's crowd in the week end is one of the worst effect of globalization, just after global warming.

Yeah, porcy - I should have known that from experience. Combine that with the Fact that the Bristol store is the only one in Western England and the effect of the 21% sale and a day of madness is a dead cert. ;)

Yeah, porcy - I should have known that from experience. Combine that with the Fact that the Bristol store is the only one in Western England and the effect of the 21% sale and a day of madness is a dead cert. ;)

Habitat used to be the same in the seventies.

MG

MG

Back in those days we weren't an highly industrialized country yet, fortunately :g

MG

Back in those days we weren't an highly industrialized country yet, fortunately :g

:D Only a highly industrialised country can produce Ferraris and Maseratis, and the drivers to run them past the post first!

MG