Name some Blue Note cds you find overrated

<Shrug>

To me it looks like Penguin are simply applying different grading criteria to different styles of music, with some styles and musicians benefiting from grade inflation. Anybody sufficiently motivated to calculate Bailey and/or Parker's "Penguin GPA" compared to that of Louis Armstrong's or Duke Ellington? I'm too lazy. :)

Edited by Guy

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maiden Voyage, Speak No Evil, and Destination Out deserve the classic album status imo.

I've been listening to Moncur's Some Other Stuff, lately, and I dig it. Recommended to fans of Tony William's BN album, Lifetime.

And Shorter plays some great stuff on this as well.

Agree with the ho hum reaction to Una Mas. It doesn't sound particularly inspired. Kenny Dorham did better stuff on other labels.

Never cared for Sidewinder, either.

Is Mobley's Peckin' Time well regarded?

To my ears, a very humdrum rote session with a substandard Charli Persip on drums

And I've become a big admirer of Mobley - especially the classic dates like Workout, Roll Call and Soul Station

I find his phrasing, tone and melodic sense more engaging than Coltrane's late 50's playing and even prefer him lately over Rollins of that era or Dexter.

I really need to re-aquire the Blackhawk sessions with Miles

Back to the blue notes, back in the day, I really ha a hard time with the later Lee Morgan blue notes. I found them formulaic and uninspiring.

Anything by Horace Silver except Cape Verdean Blues.

"The Jody Grind" is top drawer in my book.

Further Explorations is the real sleeper, imo..."Moon Rays" is an exquisite round trip of a ride. Not so much the tune itself (nice, but...), but the arrangement, the pacing, the dynamics, the whole group thing. You don't hear too much jazz of any kind that rolls it around like that in just one piece.

6 Pieces too, that one is a blast from start to finish, but if I had to be stuck for a couple of days listening to the intro to "Enchantment", I think I'd survive it jsut fine.

Again, the tune is pretty "obvious" in it's math, but here again, flavor is there to be extracted, and it's all good like that.

And...The Music Of The Spheres is often far enough evolved that one could be forgiven for hearing it blind and thinking that the works were those of a "Silver-influenced" composer.

No paradigms ever get shifted, but there is a slow but ongoing evolution on display with Silver's Blue Notes that can be interesting in and of itself, if one i so inclined as to be interested in that sort of thing. I often am (or have been), but I can see where that will not a universally held opinion.

And hell, if all you wanna do is dance, hey, there's this, all day long and into the night:

I think the only really overrated BN title that's coming to mind is Blue Train.

Certainly not a bad date, but I always find it under-rehearsed, and not as good as its lofty street-credit usually implies.

A good date that was nearly "really good" (or it certainly aspired to be) -- but I seem to remember often seeing it on "top-20" lists, and I usually think, really?

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Truthfully - truthfully - I think this whole "overrated" and "underrated" thing is missing (or at least diverting) the point, which is, I think - truthfully - appreciation, fuller appreciation. Not necessarily of the music as "music", but as human in-deavor, both of the individ-uals, and of the cultures (overlapping and specific) that created these things. And then, take that appreciation and go forth, not looking to "rate" (ie.- "measure", which is such a limited concept, really) but to appreci-rate! Yeah, some things will be nearer and dearer, but that's one thing, among many. Or hell, do it in reverse. But just do it, because people never really change, never, not really. It looks like they do, but no, not really, they don't. They just don't. So...yeah.

9eb8b004bc3765230af7b38ee5dbab5f572853f6

[quote name="JSngry" post="1347623" timestamp="

6 Pieces too, that one is a blast from start to finish, but if I had to be stuck for a couple of days listening to the intro to "Enchantment", I think I'd survive it just fine.

Again, the tune is pretty "obvious" in it's math, but here again, flavor is there to be extracted, and it's all good like that.

• 5 months later...

Bobby Hutcherson's Head On was a disappointment to me. I checked out some samples of it and every track sounded great. Well I guess whoever did the samples did a great job of picking out the best 30 seconds of each track. There was only one song I truly enjoyed and that was the bonus track "Jonathan". This was my first and only Hutcherson purchase. I do see myself getting more albums of his. "Oblique" and "San Francisco" both sounded good to me.

I also was somewhat disappointed in Lee Morgan's Delightfulee. I just started my Lee Morgan collection this February and have bought 11 or 12 albums of his. Everything has been superb but this was one I was expecting a little more from and I didn't get that. The quintet tracks were lacking something and I don't really know what it was. The big band tracks were also somewhat of a letdown. I haven't given up on this CD yet though.

My opinions on BNs simply mirror my tastes elsewhere. Much avant-garde leaves me cold, so I avoid the Cecils, Ornettes, and those that are AG-tinged (Andrew Hill, Bobby Hutcherson - Dialogue, Basra, etc). I love gutbucket jazz with intelligence, so I generally love the Dexters, Mobleys, Morgans, etc. Not so intelligent, I don't love so much: the Lou Donaldsons, Reuben Wilson, etc. A lot of the late-50's dates, the ones that rely on standards, I don't love so much. But as prior posters pointed out, a date isn't "overrated" if it was never much loved to begin with: Night of the Cookers, Dodo Greene. But as another poster said, I'm not as much interested in pointing out disappointing dates as I am hunting down dates I might love. I'm therefore looking forward to hearing more Freddie Roach and BN Elvin Jones (I just downloaded the Mosaic box from iTunes for $30).

I agree I'm not much of a fan of Avant-Garde jazz. However, I thought this Hutcherson recording was going to be more rooted in early jazz fusion similar to "Mwandishi". But it was just an inconsistent effort IMO. I do agree with you about Dex and Lee but Mobley I just haven't been able to get into yet. Everytime I listen to him solo something just kind of bores me about it. That is true I do agree with that. I have to keep in mind "Head On" has never really been mentioned as a classic. It's not like it "Happenings" or "Dialogue" I mentioned. I was thinking about purchasing some Elvin Jones Blue Note albums. I just don't know where to begin with him. I might just buy them in chronological order.

With Mobley, you want the ones with other strong players and that showcase his great writing and arranging skills. I'd try one or two of the following: Workout (with Grant Green), And His All-Stars (with Milt Jackson), Dippin' (Lee Morgan), Hi Voltage (Jackie McLean and Blue Mitchell), and A Slice Of The Top (nice larger ensemble).

With Mobley, you want the ones with other strong players and that showcase his great writing and arranging skills. I'd try one or two of the following: Workout (with Grant Green), And His All-Stars (with Milt Jackson), Dippin' (Lee Morgan), Hi Voltage (Jackie McLean and Blue Mitchell), and A Slice Of The Top (nice larger ensemble).

Wow I am going to check out the All-Stars recording. Milt, Horace and Blakey must be incredible together.

Hey, different strokes. For me, Hank with Miles at the Blackhawk is the most boring playing he ever did (or for that matter, that any Miles per-retirement Miles bad ever did, although In Concert will give it a good run, even if that one's a boredom springing from a lack of cohesion rather than an ability to coast at a really high level, like on the Blackhawk sessions).

Not that I believe the old, too-easy "Hank was a bad fit for Miles" canard, I mean, Hank with Miles at Carnegie Hall was on, but that Blackhawk stuff, geez, I keep trying to look at it as something more than lesser music from a great group of players, and it ain't happened yet. It's kinda like sex with a super hot chick who's putting on a show for you, looks good, feels good, she's into it at some level, sure, but the longer it goes, you notice that she's looking at the clock on the wall behind you, and then...what do you do then? Keep going, no doubt, but it doesn't feel the same now. That how the Blackhake stuff has always hit me, hot band, great act, all the right motions being gone through, but there's that matter of the clock on the wall behind you...

But that's just me. I prefer Hank the later he goes and the quirkier he gets, which by the end is for some uncomfortably quirky, or, for others, boring...I don't understand how anybody could hear something as what strikes me as bare-boned exposed-nerve bloody as "Summertime" from Breakthrough as boring, but some do. Individual perceptions are what they are. We are engaged by that with which we are engaged, eh?

Not boring.

Yes not boring but for me Lee and Billy Higgins are the standout on this tune. Hank's solo of course wasn't bad and he never is bad but I've also heard better from him. The best playing of Hank IMO is on Miles' Blackhawk albums.

That's the great thing about Hank. Yes, get into it for Lee and Billy, but after you play the album a few times, you start to find Hank's solos insinuating themselves inside you. He doesn't hit you over the head at first listen, but there's a lot of things happening there.

All depends where you're coming from.

Where I'm coming from - R&B - is a soul jazz perspective so the Wilkersons, Roaches, Reuben Wislons, Lonnie Smiths, Lou Donaldsons, most of the Grant Greens, Stanley Turrentines are the acme of Blue Note's work; music primarily aimed at entertaining black adults. I think the genre is underrated and, therefore, most of the recordings within it.

Conversely, I feel that the hard bop genre is overrated, and so are most of the BN recordings within it.

Somewhere in between, there's Horace Silver.

Off to one side is George Braith. Braith is his own genre. And top of it, of course. Though I've always loved his early work, I think it's true that you get more of a handle on his BN and PR albums by listening to the material he's been issuing in the last decade or so on his own label.

(Instant dismissal of the majority of the BN catalogue :))

(No, that's not true. There's much to like in Hank Mobley, Dex, ... can't think of any others, sorry.)

MG