Los Ritmos Calientes - The Cal Tjader Forum

mikeweil

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...
4 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

That's Lonnie Hewitt and Eddie Coleman on piano and bass, respectively. S. Duncan Reid and myself knew of this footage but never had seen it. 

You're welcome! Either have I! We bought the first volume of the Playboy DVDs. This was on volume 2, which quickly went out of print. 

What a wonderful era, when jazz was presented style, elegance, and sophistication!

Edited by Teasing the Korean

9 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

Thanks for making it available. It was recorded in November 1959 and aired January 3, 1960.

It is surprising that so few private video- or audiotapes of Tjader exist, as popular as he was. Just a handful.

Yeah, everything on YouTube that I've seen dates from jazz's depressing muttonchop sideburns/chest hair period. 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

New CD reissue on Liberation Hall of the direct-to-disc album Huracán (originally on Crystal Clear Records). It includes the two bonus tracks that first appeared on a Laserlight CD. Sound is excellent, it seems to be properly licensed as it credits the original label. 

71TMz3oH6oL._SL1200_.jpg