Los Ritmos Calientes - The Cal Tjader Forum

mikeweil

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D Mike thanks for the reply, just returned from work. A Mauritian friend of mine plays congas, i did him a cd of Cals modern mambo quintet, blew his mind, niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee? He couldent believe the quality of the musicians, have just done Jazz Espagnole and Afro Jaws for him. He says all his friends come over have a few beers and probably some Jack Mcduff [puff], and they then try to emulate their heroes.They have a good little band apparrently, will sit in when his wife goes on holiday. Latin heaven?

:D Mike could you possibly put Live and Direct original cover onto my Baryshnikov messages like you have, as just seeing my tag is boring/ Any cal Tjader cover i like Tjader plays mambo, as i dont know how to do this, do i need a camera?

You have to do this yourself - noone else can change your settings. (Well, except for the webmaster, but we shouldn't bother him with such things.)

Go to "My controls" - on the left side you will find the option "edit avatar settings" - the little pics identifying a member are called avatars - and then you can upload any image or link to one on the web. There is a thread on how to do this in the Forum discussion.

But you get better looks when you reduce the size to 100 x 100 pixels with a graphics software - in case you don't know how to do this I will look for one and attach it here so you can link to it.

How's this? Not every cover looks good when reduced to such small size.

You have to copy and paste the adress of this pic below:

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/uploads/p...-1107647046.jpg

into the respective field of your avatar settings.

Edited by mikeweil

:D This afternoon played Song of the Yellow River, however many times it comes on, it still really hits me, what a great piece of music. Did two cds for my friend at work, los Ritmos Caliente, and Jazz Espagnole, after copying them he sends them to Mauritious, can you imagine hearing Cal and the boys out there. When i was in Maldives some years ago i had waterproof cd player playiny all Cals tunes under water while surrounded by shoals of mullet and angel fish, surreal experience, wheres the most unusual place you have heard Cal tjader?

;) Mike you must of noticed that when they reissud Cal tjader Sextet with Stan Getz, they re titled it to sound like Cal was guesting with Stan , what a bloody liberty. Obviosly stan being better known than Cal, made the record more ameniable to jazz fans not conversant with the Tjader style, so it had a reverse effect? What do you think, paul

;) Mike you must of noticed that when they reissud Cal tjader Sextet with Stan Getz, they re titled it to sound like Cal was guesting with Stan , what a bloody liberty. Obviosly stan being better known than Cal, made the record more ameniable to jazz fans not conversant with the Tjader style, so it had a reverse effect? What do you think, paul

Here’s what I’ve been wondering since that reissue came out (I don’t have it yet, so perhaps I’m asking a question that is answered inside the CD): why the new cover? I’m so used to the OJC cover that has the picture of Stan AND Cal, that seeing this cover with just Stan was kinda surprising. So, which one was the original cover?

;) Mike you must of noticed that when they reissud  Cal tjader Sextet with Stan Getz, they re titled it to sound like Cal was guesting with Stan , what a bloody liberty. Obviosly stan being better known than Cal, made the record more ameniable to jazz  fans not conversant with the Tjader style, so it had a reverse effect? What do you think, paul

Here’s what I’ve been wondering since that reissue came out (I don’t have it yet, so perhaps I’m asking a question that is answered inside the CD): why the new cover? I’m so used to the OJC cover that has the picture of Stan AND Cal, that seeing this cover with just Stan was kinda surprising. So, which one was the original cover?

from the back of the CD:

"The cover of this compact disc differs from that used for the LP /cassette version. The CD utilizes the original cover art which could not be located at the time of the LP / cassette reissue."

Edited by couw

;) Mike you must of noticed that when they reissud  Cal tjader Sextet with Stan Getz, they re titled it to sound like Cal was guesting with Stan , what a bloody liberty. Obviosly stan being better known than Cal, made the record more ameniable to jazz  fans not conversant with the Tjader style, so it had a reverse effect? What do you think, paul

from the back of the CD:

"The cover of this compact disc differs from that used for the LP /cassette version. The CD utilizes the original cover art which could not be located at the time of the LP / cassette reissue."

That's cool. I guess this means that the cover on the OJC issue was from a reissue of the album after its original issue (I'm guessing this because of the Fantasy logo on that cover).

Whatever the cover, it's a teriffic album, and not exactly what you might expect.

What did you expect? Ididn't expect anything but good music, and was not disappointed. Especially the new Fantasy SACD reissue sounds terrific.

The first cover was that of Cal and Stan in the studio, the Getz alone was that of a later LP reissue.

getz275.gif

getz.jpg

Sorry, there's no larger pic to be found of the older cover ... :angry:

Didn't expect it to be so straight-ahead - nothing Latin on there. (I know Tjader has made many fine non-Latin albums, but this might be at the top.) A pleasant surprise - I had never heard it 'til the OJC release, and got the SACD as soon as it became available.

just picked up (cheap) cal tjader plugs in from 1969 (DCC label).

short but some good tunes.

:tup

Hi, there is some sampler out called Mambo Sangria

208110.jpg

containing two of the Skye albums containing the Tjader Plugs in as well as the Solar heat. The sound is ok, the package itself does not caintain any information beside the 18 track names themselve. It should be availble quite cheap; on BOA 1010 according to Doug Payne's Website.

I guess the quality of the DCC should be better but they seems harder to get. Not sure if the LATIN + JAZZ = CAL TJADER Hybird-SACD by Audio Fidelity is still in print but that would be another one to go for. Oh...I already have it B-)

Cheers, Tjobbe

Edited by tjobbe