Los Ritmos Calientes - The Cal Tjader Forum

mikeweil

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Album covers, #3 - that was the original!

I'd still like to know how they got away with THAT one back then! This cover is on the Los Ritmos Calientes CD. I guess no one ever really looked that close. (Well, except for me! :excited::g )

The reproduction on the CD is so tiny it leaves plenty room for speculation ...

Count me in for closer looks ;)

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

New guy here. I'm trying to find out if a Tjader album was ever recored on a CD.

The album is "Tjader" put out by Fantasy (#8406). Great cut of "Evil Ways" is on it.

As an aside, I did have the honor of attending a performance of Ca;'s that was recorded to an album. I believe it was at Concerts By the Sea in SoCali in the early 70s.

Al, probably the Fantasy era would be my fav but I generally like individual cuts rather than albums or time frames.

Another musican I like is Herbie Mann; I like his earlier stuff (e.g. Summertime & Commin Home, Baby) but I also enjoy Memphis Underground which is "pschyodelic rock jazz" from the early 70s. The title cut, Memphis Underground, is awesome to listen to with the volumn pumped up to "launch"! LOL!

Okay, looks like no luck with the album; bummer dudes. Appreciate the help.

Hi Folks,

New guy here. I'm trying to find out if a Tjader album was ever recored on a CD.

The album is "Tjader" put out by Fantasy (#8406). Great cut of "Evil Ways" is on it.

That's one of the few Tjader LPs not yet on CD (all are from the 1970's Fantasy tenure, BTW).

Another musican I like is Herbie Mann; I like his earlier stuff (e.g. Summertime & Commin Home, Baby) but I also enjoy Memphis Underground which is "pschyodelic rock jazz" from the early 70s. The title cut, Memphis Underground, is awesome to listen to with the volumn pumped up to "launch"! LOL!

... and of course, welcome to the board and its reservate of dedicated Cal fans in particular.

Herbie Mann I loved before I first heard Cal's music - Do The Bossa Nova was one of my first jazz LPs, and I love his music and its openness to all styles ever since. There is a connection between Herbie's and Cal's bands, BTW: Johnny Rae played vibes and timbales in Herbie's Afro-Cuban band before he joined Tjader after Mongo Santamaria and Willie Bobo left.

• 3 weeks later...

:D Mike, was listening to Colorado Waltz yesterday ...

Yes, that's a nice little number - probabbly the best on that CD.

Thanks for pointing this out - overheard it more or less until now. This was an album that had me a little disappointed at first - I was so much into the intensity of Cal's band with Mongo and Bobo at the time this one had to sound lame to me - but in fact it's a very good album. A session recorded for Skye but unreleased at the time - Steve Hofmann's series of Skye reissues unearthed it.

Found on this CD (was issued on SACD as well):

604.JPG

Edited by mikeweil

• 5 weeks later...
Guest akanalog

i just got "cal tjader's latin concert" and i think it is great.

vince guaraldi really impressed me especially. his comping is so rhythmic.

was this a good disc to start with?

If you like it, sure ... ;)

Guaraldi was a great match for Tjader. Had that same affinity for Latin rhythm combined with good jazz chops. The reason the comping is so rhythmic is that it is based on the Cuban concept of accompanying riffs or ostinatos, called guajeos in Cuban music.

But this is one of the best live records by one of the best Tjader bands, so you hit the top level with the first purchase, if you know what I mean ...

• 1 month later...

Have to agree there, as I just picked it up in the recent J&R sale. Guaraldi is so locked in, you'd think he was plugged directly into Tjader's mind.

Also received the SACD of Sextet yesterday, which has the original cover restored. I'm listening to it right now, and though I loved this album before, the SACD is a whole new listening experience. I mean, they sound like they're playing here in the room with me! Needless to say, this will not be the last Fantasy SACD I get.

I could just shoot myself: I'm already broke enough as it is! :g