Los Ritmos Calientes - The Cal Tjader Forum

mikeweil

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
:D In uk we have the best tv channel for quality programmes in the world, and Cals music is often used in background, in fact most of music is jazz, the guys doing it pick quite obscure tunes which always interests me. Am listening to Alegre all stars cooking up a storm with kako, great music, respects to all Tjader fans youve got the best t aste, there is a cd out at present featuring many film scores includind Evil Ways, is arriving soon so will let you know. Paul london

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mike what do you know about a session called "Fried Bananas" ?

Sorry but I overlooked your question - too much happening this summer.

The only Tjader recording of Fried Bananas I could identify was on the 1968 Solar Heat LP for Skye, reissued on Dunhill Compact Classics DJZ-618.

The latter CD is OOP but still available at sellout prices, and I it was reissued on a low price CD titled Mambo Sangria BOA 1010.

Nice, but not among the top Tjader albums.

Just found out there is a CD called "Fried Bananas" - judging from the track list:

cat # acmem45cd

tracks

1. AMAZON

2. HERE

3. EYE OF THE DEVIL

4. A FELICIDADE

5. FRIED BANANAS

6. WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS NOW

7. A MESSAGE TO MICHAEL

8. MY LITTLE RED BOOK

9. I SAY A LITTLE PRAYER

10. WALK ON BY

11. ALONZO

12. SONG FOR PAT

13. THE TRA LA SONG

14. SPOOKY

15. GET OUT OF MY WAY

this is a compilation from the three LPs Skye released at the time.

I'd rather get me the single CD reissues from Dunhill - great Steve Hoffmann remasterings, they are offered used or new on ebay etc. for reasonable prices.

• 3 weeks later...

And there is an album, whose title I don't recall, that has my very fav cut, "I SHOWED THEM". NOT the version on the Grace Cathedral album. Everytime I'm in a record store I go thru the Tjader section just to see if it has finally been re-issued.

There was a Japanese CD of this a few years ago, Victor VICJ-23138:

86_1.JPG

• 3 months later...

And there is an album, whose title I don't recall, that has my very fav cut, "I SHOWED THEM". NOT the version on the Grace Cathedral album. Everytime I'm in a record store I go thru the Tjader section just to see if it has finally been re-issued.

There was a Japanese CD of this a few years ago, Victor VICJ-23138:

86_1.JPG

Do you know the title of the CD? Thanks.

• 7 months later...

Don't hold your breath, Al - everything from the two EPs Fantasy 4021 and 4022 was on the 10" LP 3-18 (all titled Cal Tjader Plays Afro-Cuban) and were then reissued on the 12" LP "Ritmo Caliente" and their CD counterpart "Los Ritmos Calientes".

There are only two rare Tjader tracks from the 1950's that never were on CD:

- a ballad reading of "As I Love You" on the 45rpm single Fantasy 540 recorded late in November 1957 (the other three tracks were on the "Tjader Goes Latin" and "Mas Ritmo Caliente" LPs)

- a version of Ellington's "Squeeze Me" released only on the stereo LP Fantasy 8019 "Latin For Dancers", which included all tracks recorded in stereo from the "Tjader Plays Mambo" and "Mambo with Tjader" sessions of September 11 and 21, 1954.

Everything else Tjader recorded as a leader for Fantasy in the 1950's is available on some CD.

Edited by mikeweil

Don't hold your breath, Al - everything from the two EPs Fantasy 4021 and 4022 was on the 10" LP 3-18 (all titled Cal Tjader Plays Afro-Cuban) and were then reissued on the 12" LP "Ritmo Caliente" and their CD counterpart "Los Ritmos Calientes".

That's what I thought. I was just curious as to which tracks were on this particular EP. :)

Fantasy EP 4021:

Mambo Moderno, Afro Corolombo, Alegres Congas from the March 6, 1954 session;

Goza, Panchero Mambero from the March 25, 1954 session.

Fantasy EP 4022:

Alegres Timbales, Mueve La Cintura from the March 6, 1954 session;

Ritmo Caliente, Mambo Inn, Bernie's Tune from the March 25, 1954 session.

One that I like from Cal(hell I can't think of one I DON'T like)but one I would like to put a good word in for is "Huracan".

Me too - that's the ONLY Cal I've got (except for the ones I get during dinner and never seem to get rid of). But I used to have the 45 of "Soul sauce".

This is a helpful thread - I must make a resolution for next year.

MG

Fantasy EP 4021:

Mambo Moderno, Afro Corolombo, Alegres Congas from the March 6, 1954 session;

Goza, Panchero Mambero from the March 25, 1954 session.

Fantasy EP 4022:

Alegres Timbales, Mueve La Cintura from the March 6, 1954 session;

Ritmo Caliente, Mambo Inn, Bernie's Tune from the March 25, 1954 session.

Cool. Thanks! :tup

• 5 months later...

dccblowout.com has been mentioned in a number of threads, so rather than start a new thread about it, I thought I would relate my experience here.

I went there Monday the 26th and placed an order for five CDs. There is a minimum order of $25.00, excluding shipping.

I picked four Skye/DCC albums (all of which I believe but I'm not sure were remastered by Steve Hoffman):

Cal Tjader - Solar Heat

Cal Tjader - Plugs In

Cal Tjader - Sounds Out Burt Bacharach

Gary McFarland - America the Beautiful

I also picked a Charles Brown album called Since I Fell for You.

The sub-total came to only $26.96.

The website automatically set me at the least expensive shipping rate in its system, which was FedEx ground service for $11.98. However, reading the small print on a link they suggest you read if you are a first time customer, I found that they will send it Media Mail rate if you type in the words "Media Mail" in the comment box. They will manually reset the shipping charge for half the stated rate.

The following day I received an email with an attached invoice stating that the order had been shipped, and that the shipping charge had been reduced to $5.00. Delivery was promised in 7 to 14 days. I'm not in a hurry for these, so that is fine, and I save $7.00 shipping.

So the grand total came to $31.96 for 5 CDs, or $6.39 each.

Mike, I think that Media Mail rates are available only to US addresses.

Did I read a couple of weeks ago here in that thread about remastering that Steve Hoffman owned a piece of DCC? That's what I recall, but I may be wrong.

Isn't DCC closed down for good? What has Hoffman done lately?