Los Ritmos Calientes - The Cal Tjader Forum

mikeweil

Re: the sound of the Macumba recordings: It is surprisingly good, the ride cymbal is a bit obtrusive at times, but otherwise it's very good. You get plenty of lengthy solos by Vince Guaraldi, and Luis Kant (only opportunity to hear this great conga player at some length).

Edited by mikeweil

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I have all of the Fantasy and OJC CDs, sound is fine throughout. Fantasy had a no-nonsense keep-it-simple approach to recording in the 1950's that worked well. The CDs are 1-to-1 transfers of the tapes. But in some cases you need three discs to complete a session, discographical information is not accurate in many cases, five tracks recorded in stereo are in mono on the CD reissues, and two tracks from singles never were on LP or CD.

The Fantasy SACD reissue of the Tjader/Getz session sounds terrific, btw.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Just picked up "Live on Direct" on Fantasy red vinyl.

This guy was so prolific. There must be about 25 albums on Fantasy alone, before the 1960s.

Can't get enough Cal!

Suggestion to Mikeweil: Could you adjust the thread title to something like Los Ritmos Calientes: The Cal Tjader Forum? Whenever I look for this thread, I can't remember the title, and when I do, I forget the "S" at the end of calientes.

Not yet ... wanted to write reviews, but too many other things are keeping me busy. It will take me a few weeks before I will have the time to pull it out once again. I think he did a great job tracking Cal' career in detail, with many personal recollections of the many musicians he interviewed, and statements from his two children, which are very moving. Anybody seriously interested i n Cal's music should read this, there are many details that I didn't know.

Suggestion to Mikeweil: Could you adjust the thread title to something like Los Ritmos Calientes: The Cal Tjader Forum? Whenever I look for this thread, I can't remember the title, and when I do, I forget the "S" at the end of calientes.

Done!

• 3 months later...

There is a new CD reissue on él, a sub-label of Cherry Red, a UK label. It combines Tjaders first two Verve LPs, In A Latin Bag & Saturday Night / Sunday Night At The Blackhawk. The former is a Cuban Jazz affair, with Paul Horn, Lonnie Hewitt, Al McKibbon, Johnny Rae, Changuito, and Armando Peraza, recorded in a studio. The latter is a live straightahead quartet recording with Hewitt, Rae, and Fred Schreiber on bass - both are among Tjader's best albums, IMHO. Remastering is fine - sounds like they had access to the master tapes, definitely not a needle drop.

81j15AC02hL._SL1400_.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

There is a new CD reissue on él, a sub-label of Cherry Red, a UK label. It combines Tjaders first two Verve LPs, In A Latin Bag & Saturday Night / Sunday Night At The Blackhawk. The former is a Cuban Jazz affair, with Paul Horn, Lonnie Hewitt, Al McKibbon, Johnny Rae, Changuito, and Armando Peraza, recorded in a studio. The latter is a live straightahead quartet recording with Hewitt, Rae, and Fred Schreiber on bass - both are among Tjader's best albums, IMHO. Remastering is fine - sounds like they had access to the master tapes, definitely not a needle drop.

On the second of the two, is Johnny Rae on drums and Cal on vibes?

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up this CD. Thanks for the heads up!

It does indeed sound like it's from a tape source and not vinyl.

"Latin Bag" is great. I love the track "Triste," which I first heard on a Verve CD comp.

I liked "Blackhawk" more than I expected to. I have about 50 Cal Tjader records by now, but I never think to spin any that don't have Latin percussion.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Does anyone here have the second Playboy After Dark collection that includes Cal Tjader's performance on Playboy's Penthouse, circa 1959 0r 1960? 

I have the first volume with Cy Coleman, Lenny Bruce, Ella, etc.  The second volume seemed to go out of print quickly.  If I had known Cal Tjader was on it, I would have hopped on it immediately.

Can anyone tell me which and how many songs he does, who was in the band, if he talks to Hef between songs?  

Me neither. All I found so far (thanks to another board member) is a copy of The Big Beat with a scene with Tjader's band, and a few live videos of the band at various stages that Duncan Reid had been given by Poncho Sanchez - most of this is on YouTube. 

What I am the most curious about is the music Tjader wrote (but not played) for the movie Hot Car Girl.

Edited by mikeweil

19 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Me neither. All I found so far (thanks to another board member) is a copy of The Big Beat with a scene with Tjader's band, and a few live videos of the band at various stages that Duncan Reid had been given by Poncho Sanchez - most of this is on YouTube. 

How do you search for it?  I put in Cal Tjader Big Beat and all I got were album tracks.