WKCR Is In Trouble!!

Brad

WKCR, 89.9 FM in New York and WKCR on the web, which broadcasts principally jazz is in financial trouble and is trying to raise money through a pledge-a-thon. They are approximately $700,000 in debt, principally due to having replace equipment destroyed on 9/11. WKCR has been broadcasting jazz since 1941 and there is a real possibility that unless they raise sufficient funds to retire some of this debt, it will be the end of jazz programming.

WKCR holds several birthday broadcasts where they broadcast a person's music for 24 hours straight. The next one is this Sunday for Roy Eldridge. They also have 70 minutes daily just devoted to Charlie Parker as well as programming from 6 am to 930 am (including the Bird show), 12 pm to 3 pm and 6pm to 9pm daily as well as after midnight.

They also have public programming and are required to broadcast Columbia sports but the main focus is jazz. I doubt that I'd be the jazz fan today I am it weren't for this station. Where else can you get so much daily attention on Charlie Parker? I know that many of you complain about Phil Schapp but where else can you get that much time every day on Bird, not to mention the other jazz programming they have throughout the weekdays and the weekends.

If you can, please pledge at WKCR. Losing this station as a jazz resource would be a big loss for jazz.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Irregardless of Schaap's yap, this station is a tremendous resource for the jazz community and a long-standing institution that needs to continue. Their various birthday broadcasts and tributes are something to look forward to year after year.

I'm going to send them something instead of making a few purchases.

perhaps it's about time for you [Christiern] to shut the fuck up too. i'd give it some serious thought, if i were you. an extremely bitter old man, who's only outlet seems to be the one or two web discussion groups.

at least schaap acquires, and broadcasts some new/important music once in a while.

uncalled for, IMO.

perhaps it's about time for you [Christiern] to shut the fuck up too. i'd give it some serious thought, if i were you. an extremely bitter old man, who's only outlet seems to be the one or two web discussion groups.

at least schaap acquires, and broadcasts some new/important music once in a while.

uncalled for, IMO.

An absolutely disgusting remark indeed.

Agreed and uncalled for. I didn't want this to degenerate into a squabble about Chris or Schaap since this station provides a valuable function for jazz listeners.

I think instead we should focus on what would happen if this station were not around anymore so if you can contribute please call in or pledge on the internet site.

Chris has a valid point.

Schaap should at least edit himself.

The last time I heard a broadcast, during the John Coltrane week, he talked for 20 minutes about some obsure, unimportant, alternate take of the Johnny Hodges Big Band!

And by the way, Chris, no matter what his views, conducts himself like a gentleman here.

Love or hate Schaap, this is an important thread that shouldn't be derailed.

WKCR has a LOT more going for it than Phil Schaap ramblings. Ben Young's commentary and interviews with people like Bobby Bradford are excellent, as are their Jazz Profiles segments where they play five hours of underappreciated artists like Scott LaFaro, day-long birthday broadcasts, memorial broadcasts, and the list goes on. It's the only station left in metro NYC that has any sense of adventure and creative thought in their programming. To lose it would be a HUGE loss.

Chris, I agree with you - I think that Schaap ran out of things to say a long time ago, but surely you can see past that and agree that this is one of the last remaining outlets for the music, and it needs to be saved.

Totally uncalled for remark about Chris- you should apologize for being so crude and disrespectful.

I followed the link posted and you can donate quite easily on WKCR's website. I'll skip a disc and I gave $20-KEEP JAZZ ALIVE! KCR does do a lot of very good things for jazz, from the birthday celebrations to daily Parker(A friend is a bus driver who can't live without that playing on his bus), etc. They also have a Sunday morning country show that has real country like Hank Williams and bluegrass, a good funk show on Saturday afternoons, some nice reggae, etc. Sometimes in the car it's the only station playing anything worthwhile.

Brad, thank you very much for posting and providing the link- KCR is too valuable to lose.

Edited by PHILLYQ

At risk of being a killjoy, I wonder is anyone else feeling a little iffy about this?

As someone involved in community broadcasting, I heartily, passionately endorse any efforts to keep independent music - and jazz in particular - on the airwaves.

And like many here, I can sympathise with this station's plight, as my own station is always in ongoing crisis mode.

But I wouldn't think of posting a plea for cash here.

Or does the fact I'm talking Big Apple versus far-flung Melbourne make all the difference?

I think my own view would be that people should support stations in their own communities, although I accept there may be other broader perspectives.

Edited by kenny weir

At risk of being a killjoy, I wonder is anyone else feeling a little iffy about this?

As someone involved in community broadcasting, I heartily, passionately endorse any efforts to keep independent music - and jazz in particular - on the airwaves.

And like many here, I can sympathise with this station's plight, as my own station is always in ongoing crisis mode.

But I wouldn't think of posting a plea for cash here.

Or does the fact I'm talking Big Apple versus far-flung Melbourne make all the difference?

It's a great station to listen to over the net too!

It's a great station to listen to over the net too!

Very true. I actually do all of my listening over the net at work. You don't have to live in the NY Metro area to enjoy their programming.

I'd also like to add that their classical and new music programming is excellent as well. I guarantee you'll hear things played on the 3pm - 6pm weekday timeslot that you'll never hear anywhere else.

Without WKCR there would not be *so* much music out there - for example, the reunion of the trio from "The Call" - Perry Robinson, Henry Grimes, Tom Price. Those particular guys have NOT played clubs or concerts, just live in the studio.

There have been several albums by others issued from recordings made in the WKCR studios. Those are enjoyed by people outside of the FM broadcast range.

And as mentioned, with the addition of the Internet feed, WKCR is NOT just a local radio station. A vote of support for WKCR is a vote for quality music - not just quality music in the NYC area.

Mike