WKCR Is In Trouble!!

Brad

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how many called in vs. internet but I believe if you called in, you were to do it by credit card which is how I did it. The overall debt is apparently $700,000 so they will have to do this again unless maybe they're getting some matiching funds from somewhere else.

• 2 weeks later...

• Calling WRVR a "national treasure" is, of course, way over the top--a very small fraction of New Yorkers have ever heard of the station and I suspect that an even smaller percentage of the national population know of its existence.

Sure, we who love jazz music want to see as much air time as possible devoted to it (wish Schaap also felt that way :rolleyes:), but I guess Bach and basketball enthusiasts are equally anxious to have their hunger satisfied. A 24/7 station can surely find a way to satisfy all three segments of its listeners.

A second audio stream for the "other" half of the audience would help. Then the argument would be over who gets the radio spectrum.

I would sure miss hearing 'KCR in the car.

Here, our jazz station KNTU (my old stompin' ground)

used to have the classical programs on weekends,

but I'm seeing that these days it's being pushed

out by the jazz programming. Maybe because of demand?

---

Now playing: WKCR - Columbia University

Here, our jazz station KNTU (my old stompin' ground)

used to have the classical programs on weekends,

but I'm seeing that these days it's being pushed

out by the jazz programming. Maybe because of demand?

That would be sad unless the programming was lame. Should be room for both.

Verrrry lame!

I agree with you. We have a major 24/7 classical station in the heart of Dallas.

The station that I'm referring to is from the campus of the University of North Texas.

---

Now playing: WKCR - Columbia University

Hope WKCR keeps going. Was blown away by the Billy Higgins memorial and have continued to tune in on the web since then (that was my initiation to the station as I was driving to NYC at the time). LOVE their memorials. And I actually liked Phil Schapp a lot on those memorial broadcasts.

Don't know about ya'll, but down here our jazz programming is mostly lame and in 2-3 hour segments in a 24 hour cycle. A station like WKCR blows me away. Where else can I hear a LIFETIME perspective of music from Jimmy Smith the day I need it the most. Today. Hope they keep it up. :)

Edited by Soul Stream

Wow. I have spend the past half hour reading these posts. I dunno what to say. This is a very complicated issue. To paraphrase "The Dude" played by Jeff Bridges in The Big Lebowski, "Alotta of ins, lotta outs."

Anyways, my opinion on this matter should mean something to you guys, as I am actively involved in the everyday workings of a college radio station. I really truly think WKCR should be by, and for students as well as the community. I am quite amazed that the situation that exists today, has not been dealt with by students until now. It just goes to show you that students arriving at one of the toughest academic institutions which happens to be situated in the cultural, artistic, athletic madness that is New York, have a lot more to do that sit and listen to the radio.

But more to the point, I think there is a solution to this mess. It is possible to have what you guys want. Keep jazz on during the morning and afternoon drive (morning for adults, is much earlier than these kids are getting up for class). Program college rock during the day and late at night when normal people are at work and asleep and college kids are invariably up and about. Finally, have an equitable mix of jazz/classical/rock/experimental/public affairs (including sports - one of the most important functions of ANY college radio station. On this subject folks, we are not talking about NY basketball fans, we are talking about STUDENTS with school spirit, who in part I should add, are funding this station through their student activities fees which they pay for an assortment of services accorded them.) I know this is easier said than done, but if it is handled by someone who doesn't run off at the mouth, like Panken or some other well-spoken individual with clout - perhaps Professor O'Meally (I know his opinions are not yours, Chris).

The kid who wrote the editorial was a bit extreme and harsh. People like Schaap and Panken need to be on the airwaves somewhere and with the amount of valuable commentary they have (yes I listen online!), they would never be accepted at NPR affiliates who are basically only providing artist names - not even song titles (much of the time). Plus, they are both underemployed gentlemen with (unfortunately) unmarketable skills in today's world.

At WRCT Pittsburgh 88.3 FM (Carnegie Mellon), the station's license is held by the University and has been on the air since 1947. We have constantly had problems with a Christian station that is constantly "watching us," because they want our frequency. But I digress. At our station, which is one of the most technologically advanced (four webstreams), we have a mix of literally everything. Most nights we suspend broadcasting overnight because we simply do not have the commitment from students nor community members (who respectively make up half our staff - though students hold all executive positions in the station and who handle the station's finances - usually a business/management grad student).

It is a bunch of college kids who idolize cutting-edge underground rappers, and Tom Waits. But at the same time, as much as it amazes me (as their jazz-obsessed peer), these kids also dig Don Byron, John Zorn, and Anthony Braxton. Go figure. I program a mix of free stuff running the gamut from Rudresh Mahanthappa to Art Blakey. But I fit into a mix of everything from Pete Seeger, Afrika Bambataa, and Steve Reich, to The Clash, The Velvet Underground, and Ted Leo and the Pharmacists (you're not supposed to know who that is, and if you do, in the words of Ali G, "big up to you").

and i'm spent.....

some of us may remember when public broadcasting was frought with possibilities, before it turned into reruns of Masterpiece Theater and Lawrence Welk - it's now up to stations like WKCR to serve the function of offering some change from the usual profit-driven diet (and please spare me the posts about honest profit, et al; because what we're talking about is not honest profit but greed, media conglomeration and a national administration that prefers social uniformity and cultural castration) -

don't diss welk. sure he can be a little square sumtimes ( that baton waving like a kraut Whiteman, pure bullshit window dressing) but some members of the family can wail. check out myron floron, the cat swings like a mf on the 'ccordian he's a mideuropean/north dakota hendrix without the hippie bullshit baggage, so he doesnt have to kiss the overprivileged ass of the douche bag suburban pimple brigade, ya dig?