Sidney Bechet - Viva la France

EKE BBB

No idea what's going to be inside the box. My guess is that it will include live music from concerts by Bechet in the early fifties...

The good news for fans of Bechet is that Vogue BMG is reissuing the 1957 Sidney Bechet/Martial Solal Quartet album. All fourteen tracks. No alternates.

Bechet and Solal have Lloyd Thompson and Al Levitt on bass and drums on the first eight tracks, Pierre Michelot and Kenny Clarke on the six others.

• 3 years later...

This is a really good set. Not the best sound, but certainly acceptable. I think it may be the only way, currently, to hear some of Bechet's later recordings for Vogue. It's on eMusic!

On a related note — I'm looking for just one track by Bechet (recorded for RCA/Victor): "Oh Lady Be Good." I can't seem to find it anywhere. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'm all ears! Thanks.

The good news for fans of Bechet is that Vogue BMG is reissuing the 1957 Sidney Bechet/Martial Solal Quartet album. All fourteen tracks. No alternates.

Bechet and Solal have Lloyd Thompson and Al Levitt on bass and drums on the first eight tracks, Pierre Michelot and Kenny Clarke on the six others.

Now that sounds good!

This is a really good set. Not the best sound, but certainly acceptable. I think it may be the only way, currently, to hear some of Bechet's later recordings for Vogue. It's on eMusic!

On a related note — I'm looking for just one track by Bechet (recorded for RCA/Victor): "Oh Lady Be Good." I can't seem to find it anywhere. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'm all ears! Thanks.

Guess you mean:

SIDNEY BECHET AND HIS NEW ORLEANS FEETWARMERS 411024

Charlie Shavers, Sidney Bechet (sop -1/clt -2), Willie The Lion Smith, Everett Barksdale, Wellman Braud (bs), Sid Catlett (dms). New York, October 24 1941

068112-1 Twelfth Street Rag (mt) -2

068112-2 Twelfth Street Rag (am) -2

068113-1 Mood Indigo (am) -2

068113-2 Mood Indigo (mt) -2

068114-1 Rose Room -1

068115-1 Lady Be Good (mt) -1

068115-2 Lady Be Good (am) -1

068116-1 What Is This Thing Called Love (mt) -1

068116-2 What Is This Thing Called Love (am) -1

(info taken from the Sidney Bechet Discography available at the Sidney Bechet Org website)

Leaving moral issues aside, master takes from that session are on:

Complete Original American RCA-Victor Masters (Definitive)

Leaving moral issues aside, master takes from that session are on:

Complete Original American RCA-Victor Masters (Definitive)

Forgot about that. I got myself in the habit of ignoring Definitive, Jazz Factory, Lonehill, et al. reissues that I didn't even consider that. Hmm, now I'll have to consider it. :wacko:

I wish eMusic would carry those "labels." (I think they did for a brief while.) Then a single track could be plucked.

• 10 years later...
On 1/26/2005 at 10:25 AM, EKE BBB said:

Alan Lankin´s Jazzmatazz lists this:

NEW Sidney Bechet - Viva La France - 4 CD (EPM)

Due out on Mar 8

Anyone knows what´s in it?

Thanks in advance.

I've been listening to this on iTunes.  I've also been looking around for any kind of session info, but this seems to be totally lacking on-line.  The only thing I have found is " Originally recorded between 1932 and 1953, France," which is not entirely helpful.  If there is more detailed info floating around, please point me in that direction.  Thanks!

Tracks 1-60 all appear to be on Bechet Tresors (though hard to tell if the same master takes) with the exception of 4 tracks (18-21), which make up half of Rendez-Vous, which sadly is not included at all on Tresors. 

Not at all clear what 61-80 are, though these may be recordings by the Feetwarmers, though not necessarily recorded in France...