Metallica - St. Anger

vibes

I picked up the new Metallica CD, "St. Anger," yesterday. Metallica's last few releases have been somewhat disappointing, so it's nice to see them playing heavier music again. Here are some impressions:

- This is very underproduced, compared to their last few albums. The drums sound awful, in my opinion.

- James's vocals don't seem to have the same edge/rage as on previous albums. I think this takes away from the overall heaviness of the music. The lyrics themselves also don't strike me as edgy as on Metallica's previous albums.

- The lack of guitar solos is a bit strange, although not totally unwelcome.

- The songs are getting longer again, and are not as focused as on the last few efforts. Again, this is not totally unwelcome.

I've listened to about half the album so far, so maybe I'll post more later. 3.5 stars so far, and far better than the last two releases for sure. :tup

An advantage of buying this CD is that it provides the access key to the web site where you can download Metallica mp3s. It has 49 tracks from three shows available for download at this time.

As for the actual CD itself, I agree with every point vibes made. The tracks are ferocious but lack the melodic qualities even the Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning tracks had. The DVD of rehearsals sounds better ... but just a tad.

Guest Mnytime

I haven't gotten around to picking this up yet. I stopped buying their releases after the Black Album. I haven't liked anything since it came out.

How is the Bass work? Bob "Corporate" Rock plays the bass since the new bass player had not been picked when they made the record.

I had a feeling that Hetfield would not be the same. His time in rehab has mellowed him big time from what I have heard from those that know him.

I am surprised that Lars would let them release it with the drums sounding the way you describe.

Looks like another one I am passing on.

Edited by Mnytime

Guest Mnytime

For me, that band peaked with Master Of Puppets. 1986 for Christ sakes!

I agree.

I have heard they actually tuned down to C for this record, which would be a first. Sounds desperate.

As hard as it is to believe someone told me they are going to tour with limp bizkit and avril lavigne. Now if that is not a sign of old age and selling out I am not sure what is.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish I'd seen this thread before I wasted money on St. Anger. I don't DEMAND guitar solos, but they would make things more interesting, and Hammett is usually interesting to listen to. Hetfield sounds like crap, the recordings sound like crap... ARGH.

I sure am glad it came with a DVD so I can WATCH them sucking.

On the other hand, the new Ben Folds Live cd/dvd is fantastic!