Radio Lovers - Old Time Radio Shows

Guest Chaney

I can recommend the mp3 CDs of Gary Mercer. He sells the entire run of a program for five bucks! The sound is OK on some, better on others. Here's his website:

http://www.old-time.com/sponsors/otr-in-mp3/index.html

When I was a boy, my dad's aunt would excuse herself from the room Sunday afternoons to listen to Have Gun Will Travel. I started listening to Gunsmoke and Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar each Sunday when I was in fifth grade. As it turned out, that was the last year they were on. So I was born just in time to remember the end of the days of network radio in the US.

I can recommend the mp3 CDs of Gary Mercer. He sells the entire run of a program for five bucks! The sound is OK on some, better on others. Here's his website:

http://www.old-time.com/sponsors/otr-in-mp3/index.html

When I was a boy, my dad's aunt would excuse herself from the room Sunday afternoons to listen to Have Gun Will Travel. I started listening to Gunsmoke and Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar each Sunday when I was in fifth grade. As it turned out, that was the last year they were on. So I was born just in time to remember the end of the days of network radio in the US.

Was Have Gun a radio show before it was a tv show? I know Gunsmoke was but....

To follow up on Randy's post, I believe that HGWT was the only radio show based on a popular TV show during radio's golden age.

My Little Margie debuted on both TV and radio the same week, with the TV show airing first.

Those are the only two shows I am aware of broadcast on TV first.

In more recent times there have been radio shows done of The Avengers and The Twilight Zone.

I just had an XM Satellite system installed in my Explorer. They have a whole channel that's devoted to old time radio. I've always had a soft spot for Burns & Allen. Some of the writing and the way they set up Gracie's particular brand of looney toon WTF humor is really well done.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Yes, Randy's Record Mart of Gallatin, TN, owned by Randy Wood of Dot Records. In those days, though, Randy's was the generic name among Midwestern teenagers for radio station WLAC in Nashville. Other sponsors included Ernie's Record Mart of Nashville (Excello Records) and White Rose Petroleum Jelly, the petroleum jelly of a thousand and one uses. Sorry, folks, but we can only tell you about a thousand of them.

Kinda doubt that was their slogan, but the Randy's disc jockey, Gene Nobles, used to read that line about the petroleum jelly at 11:30 every night. Another favorite was the Ernie's Record Shop commercial that included "And when you order these great blues records, please specify if you want them on 78 or 45 rpm. Remember, folks, 45 rpm are the little records with the big hole in the middle." This was around 1957-58, very late for 78s.