WCKR Is In Trouble, Part II

Brad

WKCR needs to raise about $193,000 to get through this current credit crunch. Through this morning, they've raised about $142,000 so they're still about $50,000 short. Several people who pledged already have called in and increased their pledge. I just did that.

They need to raise this money by January 31. Today is January 28. If they don't raise this money, there is a very real possibility that one of the oldest jazz stations in the world may disappear.

In April, they're planning to have a two week Billie Holliday festival. That's two weeks around the clock of nothing but Billie. But if they don't raise the money, you can forget about that.

If you can afford the funds, please call 212 851 2699 and pledge what you can. You can also pledge through their website, WKCR.

• 3 weeks later...

"KCR is more like NPR, and that’s just not what I’m into" - what an idiot.

Considering that the New York City NPR station (WNYC) does not play ANY music during daytime hours - it's all news and talk now, I don't know what the hell this person is thinking. WKCR is virtually all music (OK, OK, not counting the dj announcements/lectures).

Then again, "more like NPR" I guess could mean "moving away from typical college crap" in any degree at all - so perhaps she's right.

I've never listened to the Barnard College station - but if his statements are accurate, I'm on the side of Matt Herman. It's a very good option that allows WKCR to be different. In a good way.

Mike