What does everyone do for a living?

Brownie, congratulations on your retirement! I knew that it was coming up. I hope you have more free time now to enjoy music and other pursuits. I hope we can find time to hang out on my next trip to Paris (June perhaps), or perhaps you will make a (non-business) trip to the US.

Bertrand.

Bertrand, not planning to revisit Bushland for the time being!

I'm currently testing several bistros for the next Parisian get-together :P

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've worked in the same research hospital for 18 years: "research grants coordinator" or some such thing. Write/copy-edit/ghostwrite/re-write things like original research papers, grant applications, grant progress reports, patient informed-consent forms, clinical trial protocols and case report forms... Also computer graphics (tables, graphs, charts, line drawings, photomicrographs) to accompany the reports... Also slides to present the work at conferences... Also some actual research that gets my name on a few papers: chart review, meta-analyses, literature review. In the field of immunology/autoimmunity. B.S. in biology...

which took a while to get because I kept switching between pre-med and music...

(segue to)

lapsed semi-career playing electric bass (roughly 1979-1999) -- see "musicians' rant" in Musicians' Forum for explanation of lapsed-ness!!!

mother of a 21-year-old...

Edited by maren

I do a special brand of transportation planning called travel demand forecasting. We predict regional traffic flows 20-30 years into the future. If your state decides to build an entirely new highway or wants to put in a commuter rail line, then they come see me or my colleagues, though sometimes they go with the competition and get bad advice.

Maybe a long shot, but have you worked with Charlotte, NC at all? They recently widened a major highway and are currently building a belt that I've been told is already out of date. We moved from Charlotte three years ago, but it was growing by leaps and bounds. We were there over Christmas and hardly recognized a lot of the downtown area!

I'm the Assistant Coordinator of Technical Services for The State of Tennessee's Online Degree Programs.

I just started this job last year.

Here is my list of prior jobs. (I put this list together for another thread on a different board.)

Paperboy

Grocery Bagger

Arcade Employee

Automotive Parts Store Clerk

Record Store Clerk

Record Store Assistant Manager

Record Store Manager

Parking Ticket Writer

Disc Jockey (3 different college gigs)

Transportation Company Office Clerk

Grill Cook

Record Label Intern

Elementary School Computer Teacher

Secretary

Office Assistant

Research Assistant

Investment Assistant

Operations Administrator

Technical Assistant

Assistant Coordinator Of Technical Services (current)

Edited by Jim Dye

Back in the Summer of 1997 and for a bit in 2000, I worked for a woman in New York City (Battery Park City) who handled the US marketing and promotion for the swiss label TCB. She also managed (and still manages) several jazz musicians, including Teri Thornton (RIP), Howard Johnson, Lynne Arrriale and Jerome Richardson (RIP). It was an awesome gig. I almost moved to NYC in 2000, but things didn't pan out. It was a blast!

I'm involved in compensation consulting. (yeah, I never heard of it myself until about 5 years ago).

I used to do graphic "production". Which basically means a lot of PowerPoint reports and slide shows. Nothing too creative, that's for sure.

In 2000 I got a freelance job in a small, fast-growing compensation consulting firm that specialized in high-tech. The owner managed to keep the business humming long enough to sell it out to a division of a mega-financial firm. I stayed on for the transition and managed to make a lateral move into the survey group. We take employee data from HR departments of (mostly) large companies and publish surveys about compensation.

I currently lead the production of our Board of Directors Compensation and Corporate Governance survey.

Maybe a long shot, but have you worked with Charlotte, NC at all?

I haven't but my firm probably did. I am supposed to be involved in doing some work for the Chapel Hill region and two other nearby metro areas once they complete a new survey of bus riders.

Actually, I see that Jim Dye is in Murfreesboro, TN, which I had never heard of until two weeks ago. Now I am investigating the possibility of commuter rail between Murfreesboro and Nashville.

Edited by ejp626

Make enemies in the political forum and attend alot of political functions swarming with hacks who've mastered the art of failing upwards!

I assume the first of those tasks is charitable work, but how much does the second pay? :P;)

I'll tell you all about it when you buy me lunch at The Monocle. :P I'll reserve the Kennedy's favorite table (#22) and you'll feel right at home! B-)