What does everyone do for a living?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I am what is known by Parisians as "a woman of a certain age", I have had time to do many, varied things for a living. Some paid next to nothing, to some which paid so much that I was almost embarrassed.

The most horrible job I did was when I was in highschool and worked in the stockroom of a local variety store, hauling boxes of stock all over the basement storage, for under a dollar an hour. I used to tell my mother that I never wanted to go back almost every day. The rest of the staff treated my collegues and me like slaves and wouldn't even eat lunch with us. Admittedly, we were a scruffy crew, but it was dehumanizing. My mother told me, by way of consoling me, that I would never have to do that again and that any work was honourable. Besides, it gave me spending money.

Since then I have been a telephone operator [when I was working my way through to a degree in alternate years] to a commercial sales rep, also with the telephone company. I liked it. It had such great benefits and money by then that I stayed for over twenty years and didn't ever use the degree I worked so hard to get..

But, I got bored, so at the same time, I started an image-consulting business and contracted myself to schools and companies with commission sales teams, to teach them how to put their wardrobes together to better do their jobs. My mother was a superb tailor and I grew up with a real love for beautifully made clothes. I knew how important image was, even as a little kid. That was the most lucrative thing I have ever done, because I contracted to government career counselors at their seminars for women who were going back to work.

I also went to both men's and women's homes and helped them organize and edit their clothes.

For the last few years I have been a free-lance still-life commercial photographer. When you see pictures accompanying ads, of shoes, dishes, food etc. somebody like me does them. I also do the candids for weddings and wedding showers. Pay is good, but jobs are sporatic. I pick up the money slack by working in retail and doing everything except investment counselling for an investment counsellor. He hates paperwork and juggling his schedule. I do that.

If I live long enough, I'll have done a lot of things to keep the wolf from the door. :blink:

Edited by patricia

Short version: I work in inventory management.

Long version: I work for a large retailer. I forecast the sales of certain product categories and then procure the inventory necessary to meet those sales forecasts. I also maintain the replenishment systems that keep our stores in stock.

I'm hoping for a promotion soon. I had five interviews today, and I think those interviews went pretty well (my company requires that candidates interview for any job change or promotion, just like you would if you were coming from outside the company - kind of weird). If I get the job I want, I'll be a project lead responsible for working with consultants we've contracted with to design the forecasting and replenishment systems we'll be implementing over the next three years.

Basically, I work for the man.

I do a special brand of transportation planning called travel demand forecasting. We predict regional traffic flows 20-30 years into the future. If your state decides to build an entirely new highway or wants to put in a commuter rail line, then they come see me or my colleagues, though sometimes they go with the competition and get bad advice.

For the last year I have been a children's nursery assistant and I also look after a friend's little girl a couple of afternoons a week. When my son arrived 4 years ago, I gave up work to look after him at home.

I've had the offer of doing a bit of sax tuition but never taken it yet.

The children's work is demanding purely due to the noise and 'energy differential' :rolleyes: between grown ups and toddlers.

The little girl is also disabled which upsets me somewhat; I feel considerable attachment to her anyway as I was a friend of her dad's. He died in an accident 2 and a half years ago.

I come home every day with a pounding headache which I suppose is down to the fact I really try to listen to things the kids say. you could just go "mmm...yeah, oh wow, thats good" etc., which I hear parent s do all the time, but I would like to think they listen to me and others when they speak so.....

A retired journalist for the past few weeks. Enjoyed the journalist life for many, many years. Worked hard at it. Ready to enjoy life beyond the media world. That new life looks real nice!

Plenty of time now to fulfill all the things I have always been interested in!

well, actually there's more - I play occasionals in a western swing band - I lead a jazz trio (on guitar) - I record whenever possible - I consult to the Jazz Museum in Harlem and the Smithsonian on a jazz project or two - I have two unpublished books,with one scheduled for 2006 - I have a large jazz history CD project coming out in May -

My business card says I'm an "Information Technology Practitioner." I have no idea what that means. I certainly don't practice!

In reality, I work on setting up the security software for the several hundred web sites my company hosts. My company recently signed an IT outsourcing deal with a large ITO company and I will be soon employed by them. Hopefully, they won't try to move my job somewhere else. (Not really interested in moving to Bangalur or even Wyoming.)

At night, I run some little jazz web site.

And in my spare time, I do the main parenting duties for my two daughters, as well as spending time trying to file my CDs, and do some drawing and printmaking.

[below: Mat Maneri staring at new music for his upcoming ECM recording, 14 Jan 2005.]

Edited by alankin

I am a Mathematical Statistician for the Gov'mint. Which means that, in a perverted way, Dubya is my boss :(

Brownie, congratulations on your retirement! I knew that it was coming up. I hope you have more free time now to enjoy music and other pursuits. I hope we can find time to hang out on my next trip to Paris (June perhaps), or perhaps you will make a (non-business) trip to the US.

Bertrand.