What does everyone do for a living?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a massage therapist at Miraval, Opera's favorite spa!

I do a lot of treatments but mostly do Thai massage and deep tissue. That means I get to walk on people for a living!

Jared

hey, that's what my wife does ... deep tissue NMT and recently began Thai.

all we need now is a ticket to someplace warm like Tuscon. Miraval looks very inviting!!

...and that's Oprah(used to be the fat lady but nothing to do w/ opera)! :g

Guy: Please figure out why I lost so much money in the stock market, you may get a Nobel prize for that... ;)

Are you coming up with a new theory of your own?

All the best,

You know, it's funny -- my dad keeps asking me for financial advice and I keep telling him that I know less useful economics than I did before I showed up at grad school. It's a running joke between us.

I don't know if I'd call the stuff I'm coming up with a "new theory" (my research is primarily on trade agreements and trade liberalization) but hopefully it will be original and interesting.

Guy

I'm a pharmacokineticist for a pharmaceutical company. Our group runs the first-in-man studies for new drugs that have completed pre-clinical testing. I run statistical models to determine things like how long it takes for the drug to be absorbed into the body, how long it takes the drug to get out of the body, etc.

For about the last 20 years I've been working in back office operations for Wall Street firms doing various aspects of Reorganization. I work now for a large international bank and ride herd on stock borrows/loans. What that means in English is that my firm borrows stock from other firms and then lends that stock out to our London office-they in turn lend it out in England and other European countries. When there is say a takeover attempt or a company issues rights to holders as of a certain day to purchase additional stock at a favorable price, I step in and make sure that we get instructions from those who lent to us and make sure that those who borrowed carry out those instructions. It's tons of deadlines, last minute surprises, hair-raising escapes from certain doom, with liberal doses of accounting and regulations to be followed. Sometimes I just want to SCREAM at work, but it pays decently. I have no job security, as a merger, outsourcing or a decision to operate differently may render me redundant at any time. If I make a big enough mistake(this did happen once, $180,000 error), I get fired.

I work at radio station KWUF AM & FM in Pagosa Springs,Colorado. I'm on the air Monday through Friday on both AM & FM at different times of the day. I also do sports play by play Football,Baseball and Currently Basketball following the local high school teams. I also do radio production as needed. It keeps me fairly busy.

Interesting thread.

I am in the commercial/industrial landscape maintenance and weed control business.

We like to refer to it as vegetation management. ;)

I have a couple of partners, but somehow I got suckered into managing the majority of the business. <_< We are contracted mainly with municipal and state government agencies as well as public utilities in Arizona, Nevada, Washington, and California.

It's been exciting and fun but I'm looking for a change in the near future.

If your line of work obliges you to go outside in Phoenix during the summer months I can understand why you are looking for another line of work.