Best Rolling Stones reissues?

Alec

It depends on which redbook CD you buy. If you buy the old, pre-SACD remasters, the SACD hybrids sound much better, even the redbook sector. If you're talking about the new remastered CDs that just came out last year, those are simply the redbook sector of the SACD hybrid discs. They sound identical. The thing is, these latest remasters seem to be priced about the same as the hybrids. I'd get the hybrids just in case your next player has the capability.

Later,

Kevin

I remember the guys on the Steve Hoffman forum going on and on about these. I'm not really sure what they concluded. I know a lot of them liked the old London cds from the '80 (if you can find them).

I bought a bunch of the hybrids when they came out and I'm pretty happy with them. I think they're a big improvement on the ABKCO cds that were out before.

If anyone has the new mastering of "Exile on Main Street," I'm wondering if there's been any improvement in the audibility of Ian Stewart's piano on, for example, "Turd on the Run" and "Rip This Joint"? That's always bothered me in particular -- his playing is astoundingly in the pocket on these cuts, but difficult to hear even with tweaking the EQ on the older CD issues. Somewhat the same story on "Get Yer Ya Yas Out"....

Thanks,

John

As far as I know there IS no remastered cd version of Exile on Main Street. I haven't bought any of the new remasters; in fact Exile is the only cd I have of the Stones (have vinyl of many I don't listen to) and I'd have bought a remaster; it's my favorite.

Edited by jazzbo

Bummer there's no "Exile" (yet) -- maybe they couldn't find the tapes or they were damaged by Gallic excess. Fortunately there's no lack of good Stu elsewhere. An excellent argument for keeping an EQ of some kind around -- I wouldn't listen to a great many rock and roll sides without trying to tweak up the piano in the mix, personally.

Edited by j lee

As far as I know there IS no remastered cd version of Exile on Main Street. I haven't bought any of the new remasters; in fact Exile is the only cd I have of the Stones (have vinyl of many I don't listen to) and I'd have bought a remaster; it's my favorite.

Exile was remastered around 94 or 95. The remaster sounds great, a lot better than the original CD, but of course not as nice as the vinyl

As far as I know there IS no remastered cd version of Exile on Main Street.  I haven't bought any of the new remasters; in fact Exile is the only cd I have of the Stones (have vinyl of many I don't listen to) and I'd have bought a remaster; it's my favorite.

Exile was remastered around 94 or 95. The remaster sounds great, a lot better than the original CD, but of course not as nice as the vinyl

My copy of Exile dates from 1994. It doesn't say whether it's a remaster or not.

As far as I know there IS no remastered cd version of Exile on Main Street.  I haven't bought any of the new remasters; in fact Exile is the only cd I have of the Stones (have vinyl of many I don't listen to) and I'd have bought a remaster; it's my favorite.

My copy of Exile dates from 1994. It doesn't say whether it's a remaster or not.

From the booklet in my copy, bought in Canada in 1995 (1994 issue):

"Digitally remastered by Bob Ludwig for Gateway Mastering Studios. Remastered using UV22 Super CD encoding by Apogee Electronics, Santa Monica, California. Apogee UV22 is a unique new process capturing all the fine detail of the original analogue master on standard audio equipment."

This quote also appears on the back cover. I haven't checked any stores lately, but I assume that this issue is the one currently available. Additionally, this issue was the reprinted issue in standard CD jewel case that came out after the limited edition gatefold issue that was packaged in a clear plastic case. I have Black and Blue and It's Only Rock and Roll in that special packaging, and they also contain the same remastering credits, and they indicate that they were printed in the USA.

I have Sticky Fingers and Exile in the limited edition gatefold editions from the mid 90s - the sound is excellent. Better than the earlier issues of these albums. The packaging was also a treat - exile had shrunken versions of the postcards from the original double LP issue and Fingers had the real zipper, like the LP!!! :tup

The standard CD layer of BEGGARS BANQUET on the Hybrid SACD sounds fantastic to me...I can't imagine the earlier CD issue sounding any better for sure.

I haven't heard the SACD layer of this disc, but the "regular" layer blows the old '86 CD clear outta the water. The acoustic guitars sound like they're right there next to you!