miff mole

mike casinghino

The Frog CDs are definitely the way to go, possibly the only way to hear concentrated prime era Miff. Miff was an excellent trombonist, his sides with Nichols are great as are many of his other recordings. He was the premier New York trombonist for a while until Teagarden broke on the scene and I guess Miff seemed old fashioned. Eddie Condon kept him going in the 40's and you can hear Miff on some of the Condon radio program transcriptions which are available on a big series of double CDs.

miff.gif

I forgot about his Commodore sides as mentioned above - I have them on a great CD that is unfortunately OOP from a great OOP series, back before Commodore's catalogue was owned by the Verve group.

The CD "Jazz in New York - Bobby Hackett/Miff Mole/Muggsy Spanier", Commodore CD CCD 7009 from 1988, has 5 1944 Hackett tracks, 4 Muggsy Spanier & His Ragtimers (with Miff) from 1944, and 4 Miff Mole & His Nicksieland Band sides, also from 1944. All are excellent Condon-style tracks featuring Condon and the usual gang, including Pee Wee Russell on all sides. If you can find this CD (try half.com) it is a keeper. :tup

Hi Lon!

25 bucks is too much for that. Sometimes they come up around 10 dollars, which is well worth it.

This Commodore series is definitely before Verve bought Commodore, all the CDs are from 1988 or 1989. I have 6 of them - none say Columbia, they all just say Commodore, copyright "The Special Music Co. and Pair Records, division of Essex Entertainment Inc. 87 Essex Street, Hackensack, NJ 07601".

The ones I have are:

7007 Jammin' at Commodore - Eddie Condon and Bud Freeman, which has the classic 1938 recordings which started Commodore records.

7008 Jess Stacy and Friends, which has 8 Stacy solos, the two classic tracks with Lee Wiley, and 6 tracks with Stacy and Specs Powell.

7009 Jazz in New York, the Miff Mole CD

7012 Willie "the Lion" Smith Piano Solos, which has 14 Smith solos and two with a small group - these are my favorite Lion recordings.

7014 Teddy Wilson Piano Solos, which has 10 Wilson solos and 8 quartet tracks with the Edmond Hall Quartet.

7015 Ballin the Jack - Eddie Condon and his band featuring Fats Waller, Joe Bushkin and Joe Sullivan, 14 excellent Condon tracks from 1939-1942 with the usual gang including Pee Wee, Max Kaminsky, Marty Marsala, George Brunis and George Wettling.

These CDs all have nice black & white photos on the covers (they look like Mosaic boxes) and have great sound, especially for their time. Their only problem is they are CD versions of LPs so they run short and have no alternates. Most of these recordings are probably available on the French Classics series, but the sound on these CDs is probably better and the notes, mostly by Gabler, are interesting.

Back to Miff Mole - his 1944 recording of "Peg o' My Heart" on the Jazz in New York CD is amazing. His solo is very advanced and it's unfortunate he didn't make more records.

• 12 years later...