slide_advantage_redoux

Baby Face Willette

185 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

a new Here Tis bonus track?  Is this something not on ebay or amazon?  

if you dont mind me asking what are some of the other newer discoveries issued as bonus tracks on these, are these only available directly from japan

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

46 minutes ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

a new Here Tis bonus track?  Is this something not on ebay or amazon?  

if you dont mind me asking what are some of the other newer discoveries issued as bonus tracks on these, are these only available directly from japan

Someone here did a nice summary of these bonus tracks back when this series was announced. There were quite a few alternates issued that aren't in the Cuscuna discography. I bought several of these because of these bonus tracks. They sound great to my ears.

35 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Someone here did a nice summary of these bonus tracks back when this series was announced. There were quite a few alternates issued that aren't in the Cuscuna discography. I bought several of these because of these bonus tracks. They sound great to my ears.

Here 'Tis:  :g

Well, the "new" track from the "Here 'Tis" session is an un-named Donaldson tune, and it is just as good as everything else. It runs 10:11, so it wouldn't fit onto the original LP. When Michael Cuscuna issued it on the Japanese CD, he arbitrarily named it "Blues #4".

This is NOT a track that could possibly be marked as not worthy of issue.

What a nice find! Dr Jo Jo Adams was from Alabama but was well featured in Chicago through the forties up to 1958. That appearance would have been somewhere in the period after his recording for Hollywood in the late forties/early fifties (can't remember or find the date very quickly) up to '58. His recording for Vee-Jay was done I think in '55. I'd guess that the Jo Jo show would have featured him working up his organ style - one of the Vee-Jay sides has the same approach as 'Chances are few' on 'Stop & listen'. So if you'd been in the Hickory Pit that night...

MG

8 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

from the sun ra clemeson.edu discog page!

Clemson's got a lot of interesting stuff.

MG

On 06/01/2019 at 8:42 PM, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

is it just like a solo blues, maybe a warmup or somethin- 

No, it features all four players, and it is not a warmup. It is just as good as everything else from the session. It is a blues in F.