What's for Dinner?

Tonight I made, for my wife and me, homemade pizza with 3 cheeses (whole-milk mozzarella, parmigiano reggiano, and pecorino romano) and a garlicy plum tomato and red pepper sauce on a thin crust, with broccoli in a lemon-garlic "vinaigrette" on the side. It took half of the day to prepare, and it was most definitely worth it. :tup:tup:tup

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of Italian, the first day of the big Northeast blizzard I went crazy Italian. In the space of three hours I made a big pot of tomato sauce('gravy' to Sicilians), 2 dozen meatballs, baked ziti and eggplant parmigiana. We ate well despite the heavy snow.

Tonight's dinner was a dill feature- cucumber salad with dill, steamed stringbeans with butter and dill, and broiled chicken cutlets marinated in olive oil, garlic, lemon juice,parsley, cumin, scallions, cayenne pepper &... dill.

Spaghetti Frittata

===========

2 Garlic cloves, diced or sliced

1/2 - 3/4 cups Diced Roma tomatoes

2 - 3 Tbsp Capers

2 Tbsp Sliced black olives

1/2 LB Cooked spaghetti - cooked al dente

3 Large Eggs, beaten

2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese - more if you like

1 Tbsp Olive oil

1 Tbsp Butter or margarine

1. Saute garlic, tomatoes, capers and black olives in olive oil and butter until garlic is lightly browned.

2. Add cooked, drained spaghetti spread out to evenly cover bottom of skillet.

3. Pour beaten eggs over spaghetti and continue to cook until eggs are set (cooked through).

4. Place large platter or pizza pan over skillet and flip fritata onto the platter or pan.

5. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Cut into pie-shaped wedges and serve warm with salad and rolls for a nice dinner.

To reheat I sprinkle it lightly with water or tomato juice and put it back in a skillet for a until the spaghetti gets warm.

Last night was excellent dinner-wise; it was the first time I made one of my wife's specialities "sofrito"--the cuban black bean and tomato dish. It didn't turn out quite as delectable as hers--I didn't quite get the tangy spiceness she does because I was being reticent. But it was delicious enough and really hit the spot over brown rice with some cilantro on top, and a spinach salad.

Tonight: Bravissimo brand cheeseless roast vegetable pizza (still have a few more weeks on a low cholesterol diet to go through) with spinach salad and avacado!

Whipped up a big batch of jerk chicken the other night and am still working on the leftovers. I even ground my own allspice for it this time. Also, some spicy okra.

You know I hardly ever make jerk chicken- there are so many people from Jamaica in Brooklyn that I can drive 5 minutes and get a choice of jerk joints.

Veal chops on the BBQ, even though there's snow and its well below zero. I need my grill! Veal marinaded with coriander, cumin, lime, garlic, and oregano. Parisienne broiled potatoes in the oven and mesclun salad with mango, blueberries and apple. I've had 2 beers (while making this meal) and a glass red wine with my wife during the meal. ^_^

Edited by Robert J

Veal chops on the BBQ, even though there's snow and its well below zero. I need my grill! Veal marinaded with coriander, cumin, lime, garlic, and oregano. Parisienne broiled potatoes in the oven and mesclun salad with mango, blueberries and apple. I've had 2 beers (while making this meal) and a glass red wine with my wife during the meal. ^_^

Sounds good.

I love grilled veal chops.

Looks like tonight I'm going to grill some Italian sausage (hot and sweet) and a mix of veggies.

For tomorrow, crock pot rump roast. Before I go to bed tonight I'll throw it in with some beef broth, wine and onion soup mix (about 5 AM I'll wake up smelling it :wub: ). Tomorrow, strain the juice and make gravy (I start with a flour/butter roux). Eat it w/garlic mashed potatoes and steamed fresh green beans.

This is why Mrs. Free For All loves me. ;)

It's supposed to rain all day tomorrow here, so this will be an excellent Super Bowl comfort meal.