What's for Dinner?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ajam goreng pedis* with a Gado gado** and rice***. Plenty of Sambal thrown in where required, ey, it's not called pedis for nothink!

pretty much stress in the kitchen as all require the same amount of time to cook and fry and all need constant attention and stirring. 20 minutes stress and then yumm yumm yumm and a beer on the side.

*spicey fried chicken

**assorted veggies short-boiled and covered in spicey peanut sauce

***white stuff that looks like rabbit droppings

Ricotta stuffed shells and arancini.

First time I ever tried to make arancini, it looked a lot easier than it was.

arancini.jpg

Can you slap that 'HOME DELIVERY' sign on the roof of your truck again? Love the arancini.

If you can't, I've discovered a terrific Italian place in Zionsville, Indiana, (right in the middle of "fried-tenderloins-as-big-as-your-head country", so it definitely makes a statement...). The owners are straight from Brooklyn and make the best arancini.... warms this transplanted east coast girl's heart.

But I bet yours are just as good. ;)

Ajam goreng pedis* with a Gado gado** and rice***. Plenty of Sambal thrown in where required, ey, it's not called pedis for nothink!

pretty much stress in the kitchen as all require the same amount of time to cook and fry and all need constant attention and stirring. 20 minutes stress and then yumm yumm yumm and a beer on the side.

*spicey fried chicken

Any chance you can post your recipe? You're making me long to go back to Indonesia...

*spicey fried chicken

Any chance you can post your recipe? You're making me long to go back to Indonesia...

for the ajam goreng pedis you need

- chicken filet, chopped up in bite-sized pieces

- one large onion, finely chopped

- one toe of garlic, chopped even finer

- half a teaspoon ginger

- plenty ketjap manis (sweet soy sauce), 4 or 5 table spoons

- plenty sambal (chili paste), 3 or 4 teaspoons

Fry the chicken in oil for 5 minutes or so, just to close it up. Put the chicken on the side (best use a wok), fry the onions till they take colour. Add the garlic, ginger and the sambal and mix well. Add the ketjap and make it boil. Mix the chicken in, stir to have it take on the sauce on all sides. Bring to boil once more and you're done.

for the gado-gado you will need assorted veggies and stuff and a peanut sauce.

- assorted veggies: Yesterday, we had chinese cabbage, cucumbers, carrots, taugé, cellery (not too much, tends to overtake). You can add green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, whatever. Chop the lengthy stuff (cucumbers, carrots, cellery, cabbage) in bite sized stripes of some centimetres long and half a centimetre thick.

and stuff:

- two or three hard boiled eggs

- bawang goreng (onion flakes fried to a crisp)

- cashew nuts

boil water (add some salt), once it boils add the veggies for about five minutes, chill with plenty cold water and put in a bowl. Cut up the eggs and put on top. Add some bawang goreng. Fry the cashews in a pan with some oil and add those too. Finally you drown it in lots of peanut sauce.

for the peanut sauce you need:

- 1 small onion, finely chopped

- some garlic

- plenty sambal (couple of tea spoons)

- plenty ketjap manis (couple of table spoons)

- pinch of sugar

- some squirts of lemon

- 1 tea spoon of coriander

- salt

- 1/2 teaspoon of (siamese) ginger (Laos)

- lots of peanut butter

Fry the onion in oil till it takes on colour. Add peanutbutter, sambal, and garlic. Heat while stirring for a minute or so. Add boiling water while stirring to get a even sauce. The first gulp of water may actually result in your peanutbutter going all cement-like on you, just add more water and keep stirring. Have it boil for a minute or two and then add the rest of the stuff. You may get some peanut oil on top, best to carefully pour it off. Taste and change as you wish. Some more minutes and you're done.

Serve with rice.

It's very easy. Just that all needs to be done simultaneously.

Wow, thanks! I wish I had a wok...

By Siamese ginger, do you mean galangal?

just found this: galangal = galanga (ginger) = greater galangal = (greater) galingale = (greater) galangale = Java root = Java galangal = kha = khaa = languas = lengkuas = laos (root or ginger) = Thai ginger = Siamese ginger :wacko:

apparantly: yes! Couldn't get any so I used ginger instead, which is not as strong.

No wok here either as we would only use it once in a while and it takes up too much storage room.

Can you slap that 'HOME DELIVERY' sign on the roof of your truck again? Love the arancini.

If you can't, I've discovered a terrific Italian place in Zionsville, Indiana, (right in the middle of "fried-tenderloins-as-big-as-your-head country", so it definitely makes a statement...). The owners are straight from Brooklyn and make the best arancini.... warms this transplanted east coast girl's heart.

But I bet yours are just as good. ;)

They turned out pretty good, all things considered.

The tough part was trying fill the rice ball without it falling apart.

My grandmother could make them with her eyes closed.

I'll send some your way, if you promise to overnight a "fried tenderloin as big as my head" to me. ;)

Yesterday was broiled scrod for me and my wife and stir fried chicken & broccolli for my son(He doesn't like fish.) Tonight was broiled chiocken cutlets with a Cajun dry spice rub- first time I tried this spice rub like this, and it was verrrry good!