What's for Dinner?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked up a couple of ostrich filets on sale the other day and sauteed them in a little olive oil Saturday and Sunday. Seasoning: garlic, kosher salt, pepper, and ground thyme. Put some plain yogurt mixed with fresh mint on the side and added a mixed green salad with oil and vinegar.

I had never had ostrich before. It's unbelievable--maybe on par or slightly better than the best steak I've ever eaten.

Picked up a couple of ostrich filets on sale the other day and sauteed them in a little olive oil Saturday and Sunday. Seasoning: garlic, kosher salt, pepper, and ground thyme. Put some plain yogurt mixed with fresh mint on the side and added a mixed green salad with oil and vinegar.

I had never had ostrich before. It's unbelievable--maybe on par or slightly better than the best steak I've ever eaten.

How lean is it?

I was eating Buffalo for while because it was so much leaner than Cow, but someone else discovered it at the market and the bin is always empty.

How lean is it?

I was eating Buffalo for while because it was so much leaner than Cow, but someone else discovered it at the market and the bin is always empty.

Extremely. It's 98% lean, which is supposedly 2/3 less fat than steak, if the ostrich industry's spin is to be believed...you have make it really rare though (2-3 minutes on a side) so that it doesn't dry out.

Just moved into a new house and got to go out and buy a new range--nothing fancy, but way better than my old p.o.s.

Anyhow, I got to experience the joys of a high-BTU burner as I stir-fried onion carrot red pepper and string beans and tomato with peanut sauce . How did I ever do this before? It really made a big difference.

If you are out stove shopping make sure you get a high-powered burner!

--eric

• 2 weeks later...

Last night was Caesar salad, with a dressing from a newspaper recipe(excellent!!!) and some marinated chicken cutlets on the grill(marinade of parsley, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, salt, cayenne pepper & black pepper).

Tonight was burgers and a tomato salad.