What's for Dinner?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Had a craving for Hi-C orange drink, so I went to McDonald's and picked up a couple of those, a double cheeseburger, filet-o-fish, McChicken and fries. Not the best food in the world, but not too bad every once in a while. I really just wanted the orange drink, though. That stuff is like crack. :rolleyes:

Had a craving for Hi-C orange drink, so I went to McDonald's and picked up a couple of those, a double cheeseburger, filet-o-fish, McChicken and fries.  Not the best food in the world, but not too bad every once in a while.  I really just wanted the orange drink, though.  That stuff is like crack.  :rolleyes:

:bad:

That stuff will kill you, man.

• 3 weeks later...

A soup buffet, all homemade here in the kitchen today:

• Chicken and noodle soup, featuring homemade broth, carrots, home-grown parsley, and pasta

• Beef and cheese soup, featuring homemade broth, celery, potatoes, onion, and cheddar

• Butternut squash soup, featuring fresh squash from our garden

:excited:

So Junior Mints really do exist. I thought they had been dreamed up by Jerry Seinfeld.

What is ' pan seared ' ? I've heard this expression used many times but am not sure what it means. Seems to be a newish term. I can never recall hearing anyone say ' pan seared' until a few years ago.

So Junior Mints really do exist. I thought they had been dreamed up by Jerry Seinfeld.

What is ' pan seared ' ? I've heard this expression used  many times but am not sure what it means. Seems to be a newish term. I can never recall hearing anyone say ' pan seared'  until a few years ago.

Interesting question. I think "pan-seared" means you cook it in a pan with very little oil, on medium to high heat so that the juices do not have much time to leak out of the meat and dry it out. Obviously this works best with things like dark-fleshed fish, which are oily to start with. One reason I can think of for why the term has not been in popular use until lately is that Americans are eating a ton more tuna and salmon than they used to as they turn increasingly away from red meat.

Not sure what the exact difference is between sauteeing and pan-searing. Maybe the quantity of oil used?

Seems to be a newish term. I can never recall hearing anyone say ' pan seared'  until a few years ago.

I think it's a more common term because restaurants insist on making their menu descriptions

WAY too wordy, to make the food sound more interesting than it often is:

Server: "Tonight's special is a smooth paste of lightly salted Georgia legumes, with preserved Concord grapes, nestled between oven-baked mixture of leavened wheat flour..."

Diner: "So, that would be a peanut-butter and jelly sandwich?"

Server: "Um...yes. Would the gentleman care to hear about some suggested wine pairings?"

;)