What's for Dinner?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New recipe tonight. Nothing fancy, but tasty nevertheless. I got the recipe from Joyce Goldstein's book Solo.

Polenta with peas and spinach; a bit of butter and hand-grated Parmigiano-Reggiano finish it off. My personal improvisation was adding some crumbled bacon. A mighty tasty one-dish meal. Goldstein says she eats it right out of the saucepan she cooked it in.

This one goes into the repertoire.

Spaghetti with homemade sauce. I cleaned out the fridge and used tons of sweet peppers, mushroom, garlic, basil and anything else I could think to add. Simmered most of the afternoon. It was very tasty topped with freshly grated parmigiano reggiano.

I always make way too much, so it looks like I will be eating this all week. ^_^

Spaghetti with homemade sauce. I cleaned out the fridge and used tons of sweet peppers, mushroom, garlic, basil and anything else I could think to add. Simmered most of the afternoon. It was very tasty topped with freshly grated parmigiano reggiano.

It's the Parmagiano that really makes it. No matter what it is! (Though I wouldn't generally recommend it with fish.)

Guest akanalog

anyone use a slow cooker? me and my sister just got our parents one for hanukkah. just like a nicer crock pot basically, but seems like a good thing to have in a kitchen aresenal. they made some lamb stew as their first slow cooked dish.

Yesterday's trad New Year's meal was that lifelong midwestern-germanic-dutch-treat of pork and sauerkraut. Supposed to bring good luck for the year.

Carmelized onion and garlic then glazed w/ some white wine. Pan seared with a nice chunk of butter a couple big pork tenderloins that I had jabbed garlic cloves into and rubbed w/ thyme and savory. Layed them ontop of and under sauerkraut finished off with the carmelized onions in a clay cooker. Mashed taters with some more butter and warm heavy cream.

Nothing quite like that gastric combo and it's aftermath to watch a bowl game by!

Tonight before bed- put beef roast into crock pot. Add beef broth, beer, garlic, seasoning and just a dash of liquid smoke.

Tomorrow- wake up to smell of cooking meat. Around noon, remove and shred meat. Return to crock pot with BBQ sauce for another hour or so.

Tomorrow afternoon- BBQ beef sammiches, beer (Boulevard Wheat) and football. I loves me the playoffs.

For dessert, the requisite trip to the gym to burn off some o'them nasty ol' calories. I'll watch some of the evening game from the cardio machine.

anyone use a slow cooker? me and my sister just got our parents one for hanukkah. just like a nicer crock pot basically, but seems like a good thing to have in a kitchen aresenal. they made some lamb stew as their first slow cooked dish.

We use our slow cooker frequently, mostly in the colder weather. Chicken mostly, but also beef and pork on occasion, sometimes chili. I put the seasoned meat in with some kind of broth, garlic, maybe a little wine, perhaps a package of onion soup mix. The longer you can let it cook the better.

When done, I remove the meat, strain the juice and make it into gravy (I start with a flour/butter roux). The gravy is optional (and a bit naughty), but it rocks.

This is the most tender meat you will ever eat. Pretty much impossible to screw up too! Just be sure to add at least a little liquid.

Homemade fajitas. Which apparently is the only kind I'm going to get down here. How a city in the state next to Texas can have absolutely no clue about Mexican cuisine is beyond me. You know who has the best Mexican food in Alexandria? Friggin' Taco Bell. Seriously. This move is NOT working out... :angry:

Homemade fajitas. Which apparently is the only kind I'm going to get down here. How a city in the state next to Texas can have absolutely no clue about Mexican cuisine is beyond me. You know who has the best Mexican food in Alexandria? Friggin' Taco Bell. Seriously. This move is NOT working out... :angry:

:g

ha!

I feel your pain. When it comes to Mexican food I'm not exactly in the best of places. I would have guessed Louisiana would be a notch or two better though.

"Just" a salad: romaine lettuce, parsley, roasted almonds, raisins, avacado, Danish feta (the best, afaic), and some albacore tuna, topped off with a taste of Cardini's Italian dressing. YUM!

Now if I can keep myself out of the chocolate chip cookie brittle that Alison made for me and Randy.... (once I start with that stuff, I don't stop).

Best getcherself one o' these.

0882890190.jpg

A sodium orgy! :crazy: I gar-ron-tee!

Nice to see you around again, Mark!